LAKEWOOD, COLO. (June 3, 2017) – Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s Alex Martin bounced back in a big way in Colorado with a moto win and second overall at Thunder Valley Motocross Park. His solid scores have helped push him into second in the standings, just nine points back of the leader. Teammate Shane McElrath broke into the top 10 with a ninth-place overall result, while Sean Cantrell was just outside it in 12th overall.
McElrath started in the top 10 and was able to maintain that position during the opening moto. He improved upon that in the second moto where he rode from 12th to finish ninth. His 10-9 finish placed him ninth overall, giving McElrath his first top-10 of the season.
“We’re moving in the right direction and I think with the time off, we’ll be able to dial it in even more,” said McElrath. “I’m looking forward to the next race at High Point.”
Rookie Cantrell overcame a few mid-pack starts in Colorado to narrowly miss finishing inside the top 10 overall. In Moto 1, he started 13th and ended up finishing 15th, but in the second moto made bigger strides in the right direction going from 16th to 11th. He closed out his first trip to Thunder Valley in 12th overall.
“Each race is a learning experience and I’m happy to have the support of the team each weekend,” said Cantrell. “They are very helpful and I just hope that I can prove I am capable of running inside the top 10 before we get to the halfway point.”
The team gets one weekend off before making its annual trip to High Point Raceway in Mt. Morris, Pennsylvania on Father’s Day weekend.
The team was wearing the all-new GP Air Maze Black and White during practice and switched to the GP Air Maze Blue for the motos. It was accompanied by the new SE4 Squadra Team Helmet. See all of the 2018 gear sets and the 2018 Moto Helmets online and at your local TLD retailer.
250 Class Results (Moto Results)
- Joey Savatgy, Kawasaki (4-1)
- Alex Martin, KTM (1-4)
- Jeremy Martin, Honda (3-2)
- Austin Forkner, Kawasaki (2-3)
- Zach Osborne, Husqvarna (8-5)
- Dylan Ferrandis, Yamaha (9-6)
- Colt Nichols, Yamaha (6-12)
- Mitchell, Harrison, Yamaha (11-8)
- Shane McElrath, KTM (10-9)
- Michael Mosiman, Husqvarna (12-10)
- Sean Cantrell, KTM (15-11)
250 Class Points, After 3 of 12 Rounds
- Zach Osborne, Husqvarna, 119
- Alex Martin, KTM, 110
- Jeremy Martin, Honda 101
- Joey Savatgy, Kawasaki, 93
- Austin Forkner, Kawasaki, 89
- Colt Nichols, Yamaha, 89
- Adam Cianciarulo, Kawasaki, 85
- Aaron Plessinger, Yamaha, 78
- Mitchell Harrison, Yamaha, 66
- Dylan Ferrandis, Yamaha, 64
12. Shane McElrath, KTM, 60
- Sean Cantrell, KTM 56
- Mitchell Oldenburg, KTM, 24
Photo Credit: Jeff Kardas