Will Power Wins Race No. 2 in Houston
IndyCar - Houston, TX
Power began Sunday’s race from the ninth position as the starting grid was determined by entrant points. With the series implementing a standing start for the second consecutive race, he took advantage with a tremendous start, passing three cars and moving into the sixth spot on the opening lap. He continued to gain ground in the opening laps as he moved into the top five by Lap 3 and he passed his way up to the second spot by Lap 11. As he pressured leader Scott Dixon, Power ran second over the next 28 laps and through the first round of pit stops.
On a Lap 40 race restart, Power passed Dixon for the lead and he never looked back. The Verizon Team Penske driver led 51 laps and held off several spirited charges by Dixon to capture the victory. Power actually took the checkered flag under caution following a last-lap multi-car crash that resulted in injuries to driver Dario Franchitti.
It was the second win of the season for the driver of the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet, who led a race-high 51 laps of the 90-lap/153-mile race. The victory moved Power to seventh in the standings, just one point behind sixth place and 12 points away from the top 5, with one race remaining in the season.
“That was a really big win for the Verizon team," said Power. "I just want to say that I hope Dario (Franchitti) and everyone else are alright. I really hate to see that. As far as today, I had to work really hard to hold off Dixon. We ran really hard there and we were basically putting up qualifying laps every time around the track. The guys on the Verizon crew did a great job in the pits and the car was really fast all weekend. Great event for Shell and Pennzoil as the race sponsors and I feel bad for Helio. They’ve been so consistent all year and to have this happen in back-to-back races is tough. But I know the team will come back strong at Fontana and do everything it can to win the championship.”
"Congratulations to Will Power, Tim Cindric and the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet IndyCar team on their win today in Houston,” said Jim Campbell, U.S. Vice President Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. “Will drove an amazing race, and the pit stops were quick and efficient all-day long. We are looking forward to the final IndyCar race in Fontana."
The battle for the 2013 IndyCar Series Manufacturers’ title will also be decided at the season-ending race. Chevrolet is tied with Honda for the crown at nine wins each.
The final race of the season is set for October 19, 2013. The MAV TV American Real 500. The race will start at 5:30 p.m. PST with live TV coverage on NBC Sports Network.
- 27.07.2015 : Team TLD Riders All Score Top-10 Finishes at Washougal | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Makes It Three Weekends In A Row With Career-Best Finish | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : Interview: Brandon Semenuk and Rupert Walker - Revel In The Chaos | Freeride MTB - Pinkbike Interview
- 24.07.2015 : TLD's Toby Price Could Wrap Up Fifth AORC Crown This Weekend | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 24.07.2015 : Sage Karam Earns First-Career Podium At Iowa 2015 | IndyCar - Newton, IA
- 23.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Backs Up Career Best Result With Seventh Overall | AMA Pro Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : TLD’s McElrath Breaks Into Top-10 With Impressive Moto 2 Ride | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : KTM Strong Man Kirk Gibbs Braves The Pain At Shepparton | Motocross - Victoria, Australia
- 10.07.2015 : TLD/KTM’s Toby Price Picked Up By Red Bull Factory Rally Team | World Motorcycle Rally Championships
- 07.07.2015 : New Troy Lee Designs Canadian Funny Car Schedules Debut | Funny Car - Edmonton AB, Canada