Troy Lee Designs / Lucas Oil / Honda Consistent in Colorado
AMA Motocross - Lakewood, CO
The unpredictable and often volatile weather of the Rocky Mountains wreaked havoc on the scheduling of round three in the Lucas Oil National Motocross Championship in Colorado. Only one 450 moto was completed when a powerful rainstorm blew through, upheaving tents and banners all across the Thunder Valley property. Fortunately, the rain amounts were minimal and eventually things got started again. Through it all the TLD team riders put in solid efforts and were rewarded with consistent finishes.
Billy Laninovich led the team in the 450 division by scoring an impressive top ten overall. The first moto saw him get off to a mid-pack start but charge forward to eleventh at the finish. The second moto he got off the line slightly better, around fifteenth, and once again scratched his way towards the front. He would find himself in eighth in moto two and earn ninth overall on the day.
"This was definitely a good weekend for me," said Billy of his efforts. "I still feel like I can race closer to the front of the pack but I'm feeling really good on the bike and things are coming around. If I can get a good start at the next couple rounds I think I can get some good results."
In the 250 class Travis Baker and Jessy Nelson each had their difficulties. Baker rounded turn one around eleventh in the opening moto, which followed the rain and was a little muddy and slick. He struggled to find lines and get into a rhythm on the slimy circuit and would wind up sixteenth. Nelson, meanwhile, was mid-pack and trying to move forward. His efforts were slowed by multiple crashes and he would finish twenty second in moto one.
The second moto was better for both riders as Baker would doggedly move his way around riders all moto to finish twelfth and Jessy battled all race long inside the top ten and just get bumped to eleventh on the last laps.
"Our 250 guys had some good moments this weekend but they each had their problems too," said team manager Tyler Keefe. "I think they both have the ability to race up front they just need to put themselves in a good position off the start to do that. That comes from qualifying better and getting better starts in the motos. I'm happy with the way each of them are riding and I think the next rounds will be good for them."
Tarah Gieger put in a good effort in Denver and was rewarded with a second place finish. Her 3-2 moto scores came by way of good starts and steady riding, which would include her leading several laps in the second moto. Tarah is posting another solid series so far.
Billy, Travis, and Jessy are wearing the new GP Air Mirage gear, and Tarah is wearing Womens GP Air Airway gear; both are part of our 2013 Collection, available soon at your local retailer.
The Troy Lee Designs / Lucas Oil / Honda team will now load up and head to the east coast. The next stop is High Point Raceway in Mt. Morris, Pennsylvania where the ruts are deep and the chance of rain is typically around 99%. Bring some mud shoes and watch the TLD team spar with the world's best riders at round four of the national motocross series this weekend.
TLD would like to thank all of our team sponsors: Lucas Oil, American Honda, PPG, Red Bull, Adidas, Oakley, Seaspan, Fender®, Dunlop, Renthal, Alpinestars, ODI, McQueen Racing, Hot Wheels, GoPro, Shock Doctor, Pro Circuit, Showa, VQ OrthoCare, Couts Heating & Cooling, Specialized, Kasey Kahne, N-Style, VP Racing Fuels, DubyaUSA, Moto Tassinari, PixelMags, ARC, Braking, Boyesen, Cycra, Mammoth Mountain, DID, Dirt Star, Hinson, Twin Air, Pacific Collision Centers, Sports Care Center, Elrod Racing, and New Era.
- 07.03.2014 : Servia to Race Select Races with Rahal Letterman Lanigan | IndyCar - Brownsburg, IN
- 06.03.2014 : Interview: Cole Seely - Replacement Killer | Supercross - TWMX Interview
- 05.03.2014 : Where Are They Now - Dave Cullinan | MTB - Interview
- 05.03.2014 : Troy Lee Designs' Malcolm Stewart to Race Daytona Supercross | Supercross - Corona, CA
- 04.03.2014 : Herfindahl and Joanis Win Pro Finals In Cross-Country and Snocross | Snocross - Warroad, MN
- 03.03.2014 : Honda Red Riders Crowd the Podium in Indianapolis | AMA Supercross - Indianapolis, IN
- 03.03.2014 : SCORE San Felipe 250 Victory Marks Historic Feat For Vildosola Racing | Off-Road - San Felipe, Mexico
- 28.02.2014 : SRAM Announces Formation of SRAM / Troy Lee Designs Mountain Bike Team | Chicago, IL
- 27.02.2014 : Interview: TLD Enduro Rider Bryan Regnier | MTB - France
- 27.02.2014 : Seely Joins Team Honda Muscle Milk in Indianapolis | Supercross - Torrance, CA