Top-Five Finish for Team Target at The Glen
NASCAR - Watkins Glen, NY
1. (5) Kyle Busch, No. 18 Toyota
5. (11) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet SS
11. (6) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Monopoly Chevrolet SS
Over the weekend Juan Pablo Montoya and Team Target returned to the site of Montoya’s last NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) win. The No. 42 Chevy SS was front and center for the entire weekend posting top-five times in practice and following it up with a top-five finish on race day. The fifth-place finish marks the third top-five finish of the 2013 season for Team Target.
The NSCS headed north to the Fingers Lakes region of New York for the final road course race of the 2013 season at Watkins Glen International (WGI). Montoya was fast right from the start as he was fourth fastest in both practice sessions. The next day he qualified the No. 42 Target Chevy SS in the 11th position. When the green flag waved on Sunday, Montoya set his sights on the front and began to advance positions in the opening laps. Team Target focused on pit strategy and conserving fuel as they only made two pit stops throughout the race. The No. 42 never fell below the 11th-position and was credited with leading a lap during the race. The Target Chevy SS would finish out the day in the fifth position.
“The race was fun but there were just not enough laps,” Montoya said after exiting his No. 42 Target Chevy SS. “Our Target Chevy was really good all day and if the cautions had fallen a little differently, I think I could have had a shot at a win. We saved a lot of gas and were able to make it in just two stops - even while saving gas the car was really good.”
- The race at WGI experienced eight caution flags for 21 laps, a red flag and five lead changes among five drivers
- Montoya advanced one position in the NSCS driver point standings to 22nd; 109 out of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup
The NSCS teams will head to Michigan International Speedway next weekend for the Pure Michigan 400. The race will air live on ESPN and radio stations affiliated with MRN Radio beginning at 1 p.m. ET Sunday, August 18.
About Chip Ganassi Racing
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include three cars in the IZOD IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. Overall his teams have 15 championships and over 150 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and five Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn. For more information visit: www.earnhardyganassi.com.
- 28.08.2014 : Unsung Hero: Fredrik Noren on the 2014 MX Season | AMA Motocross - RacerX Interview
- 27.08.2014 : Micky Dymond to Race 2nd Annual AMA Sturgis Supermoto Race | Supermoto - Sturgis, SD
- 27.08.2014 : Colton Facciotti Discusses Utah And Latvia | Motocross - Canada
- 26.08.2014 : Ken Block Takes 2nd at GRC Daytona and Moves Into 2nd In the Championship | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 26.08.2014 : Chaz Mostert 'Rains' Supreme At Sydney Motorsport Park 400 | V8 Supercars - Sydney, Australia
- 26.08.2014 : Cole Seely Signs With American Honda | Supercross and Motocross - Torrance, CA
- 26.08.2014 : Dany Torres Takes 2nd In Red Bull X-Fighters Pretoria | FMX - Pretoria, South Africa
- 25.08.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Closes Outdoor Season in Utah | AMA Motocross - Tooele, UT
- 25.08.2014 : New Factory Honda Rider Cole Seely Signs Multi-Year Deal With TLD | AMA Motocross - Corona, CA
- 25.08.2014 : Dixon Claims Second Win of the Season at Sonoma | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA