TLD's Canadian Rippers Top 2 in Garbo DH Women's Pro
MTB - Whistler, BC
Crankworx Whistler’s Garbanzo DH is infamous for being the world’s longest DH track used in competition. Canadian World Cup racer Steve Smith has been defeated by the very long and technical track the last four times he has raced it; either crashing or just not going fast enough.
This year Smith finally defeated his nemesis, crossing the finish line with a time of 12:33.27, an impressive feat considering the length of the course is 12km and drops 3,400 vertical feet. Second fastest man was Columbian Marcelo Gutierrez Villega +5.48 and in third, Australian Chris Kovarik +15.40.
Canadian women swept the podium today with Casey Brown in first at 14:28.74, Miranda Miller in second +3.23 and Whistler’s Claire Buchar (CAD) +3.26.
“This is the first time I have had a clean run in competition on Garbanzo and I took the win,” says Smith. “It is a long race so you don’t absolutely ‘kill’ anything. I just kept a good pace all the way; I wasn’t really slow and I wasn’t really fast.”
This kind of race really tests the World Cup racers since they train to reach the maximum speed they can sustain for the duration of 3-4 minutes. The Garbanzo track has them descending three times as long as that. The most successful riders have to find the fastest pace they can sustain for a long period of time and just hang on. At the end of the day, the conditions couldn’t have been more ideal for the race. The track was rolling really quick and the clock showed it with athletes coming in with the fastest times ever recorded in Garbanzo DH competition.
The same course as 2011 was used - Riders start behind the Garbanzo lift hut -> Original Sin (including the uphill section) -> exit Original Sin at the step down/step up tree island on the Dave Murray flats -> proceed down Blue Velvet -> traverse and proceed into In Deep -> after rock face turn left towards Container (FatCrobbat would require a right turn at this point) -> from Container into No Joke/ Duffman -> remain on Duffman until merges with Golden Triangle -> continue on World Cup Singletrack -> Ho Chi Min -> Longhorn -> Monkey Hands -> GLC drops to finish.
http://www.crankworx.com/whistler/results.php Current event photography:
- 18.06.2013 : Justin Jones 2013 Baja 500 Recap - LAND! LAND NOW! | Offroad - Baja 500
- 17.06.2013 : Dixon Sixth, Franchitti Eighth at Milwaukee IndyFest | IndyCar - West Allis, WI
- 17.06.2013 : Another Podium for Cory Graffunder & Husky at Last Dog Standing | Endurocross - Glen Helen, CA
- 14.06.2013 : Home GP Podium for Bud Racing's Dylan Ferrandis in France | Motocross - Ernée, France
- 14.06.2013 : Redline Bicycles Great Salt Lake Nationals Race Report | BMX - Salt Lake City, UT
- 11.06.2013 : Franchitti Sixth, No. 9 Team Encounters Mechanical Problems At Texas | IndyCar - Fort Worth, TX
- 11.06.2013 : Team Husqvarna's Cory Graffunder Celebrates EnduroCross Podium | Endurocross - Sacramento, CA
- 11.06.2013 : First look: Sam Hill’s Pink Team CRC/Nukeproof Pulse and Kit | MTB - Auction
- 10.06.2013 : Top Ten Finish for Benoit Paturel in France | European MX2 Grand Prix of France
- 09.06.2013 : Highs and Lows for Troy Lee Designs at High Point Raceway | AMA Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA