TLD Creates Exclusive Helmets for University of Notre Dame
Shamrock Series Game - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL
Last week, adidas and the University of Notre Dame unveiled the new TECHFIT football uniforms, with accompanying redesigned football helmets, that the Irish will wear on October 6th when they host the Miami Hurricanes at Soldier Field in Chicago for this year's Shamrock Series game.
Produced for adidas by Troy Lee Designs, the helmets reflect a modern take on the classic Notre Dame football helmet. Using time-honored artistic practices, these intricately designed helmets are two-thirds gold leaf and one-third blue. The gold area of the helmet touts an impressive, multi-layer, textured swirl effect finish while the blue area features an updated white Notre Dame Leprechaun graphic.
These specially designed helmets utilize spun 22-carat gold leaf and have been machine-turned more than 200 times. This particular process, credited entirely to the craftsman at Troy Lee Designs, provides the Shamrock Series helmets with a newer, more brilliant, bright gold finish, a tribute to the iconic Notre Dame dome.
The process that Troy Lee Designs used for this project is one that dates back to the 1800's whereby early artisans used pure gold dust, infused with other liquid substances, to paint intricate murals and other works of art that still adorn many churches, cathedrals and castles around the world today. Additional fodder for the process used on the Notre Dame helmets came from the type of paint-process used in the 1920's and 30's in the painting of carriages and early fire engines.
Troy Lee had this to say about being asked to be part of the helmet process, “I am really pretty honored that I was asked to help redesign these football helmets for Notre Dame’s Shamrock Series. It has been exciting to take part in updating this classic look for such an iconic institution like Notre Dame.”
"Notre Dame's Shamrock Series is one of the most highly anticipated games of the season and this year marks the first time we've created a head to toe new look for the Irish," said Mark Daniels, director of football for adidas America. "To celebrate the historic matchup at Soldier Field, we worked with the Irish to create a bold new uniform that honors the school's rich football tradition and bright future in a modern way."
This marquee contest is Notre Dame's second annual Shamrock Series event, an off-campus home game, and will kick off at 7:30pm ET on NBC. This marks the fourth straight year Notre Dame has played an off-site home game.
Notre Dame fans can LIKE the TLD Facebook page at www.facebook.com/troyleedesigns.tld and the adidas football page at www.facebook.com/adidasFootballUS for more information, photos and videos of the new Irish uniforms. They can also follow the conversation on Twitter at @TroyLeeDesigns or @adidasUS and use the hashtag #techfit.
About Troy Lee Designs:
For over 30 years, Troy Lee has been customizing helmets "For The World's Fastest Racers." TLD's relentless commitment to creating products that exceed the cutting edge of style, design and quality, has earned them the reputation as an innovator in many different fields of racing. Troy Lee Designs has since expanded into a full force operation, offering a complete line of helmets, apparel and premium protection for off-road motorcycling and bicycling, as well as seasonal lines of sportswear and accessories. Based in Corona, California, Troy Lee Designs has a global network of distributors.
adidas Football develops high-performance and lightweight football cleats, apparel and accessories for some of the top players and teams in the game including more than 70 collegiate football programs. adidas is a global designer and developer of athletic footwear, apparel and accessories with the mission to be the leading sports brand in the world.
About Notre Dame Football:
The University of Notre Dame Football Team has been competing since 1887. The Fighting Irish claim 11 National Championships and have produced 7 Heisman Trophy winners. Notre Dame competes as an Independent at the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision level and is a founding member of the Bowl Championship Series coalition. The team is currently coached by Brian Kelly.
- 29.06.2015 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Riders Endure Weather As Season Hits Halfway Point | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 29.06.2015 : TLD’s Noren Bounces Back For Solid Moto 2 Finish at Budds Creek | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 26.06.2015 : Scott Dixon Looks to Complete Career California Track Sweep | IndyCar - Fontana, CA
- 23.06.2015 : Ward Wins Pole and Takes 4th in Red Bull GRC Debut at Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.06.2015 : Block Takes 2nd at Rd 3 of 2015 Red Bull GRC Season in Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 18.06.2015 : Podium Finish for Dempsey and Long at Le Mans | Auto Racing - Le Mans, France
- 15.06.2015 : TLD's Seely and Noren Earn Top-10 Finishes in Pennsylvania | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : Top-10 Results for TLD’s Nelson and McElrath at High Point National | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : TLD Bike Athletes Go Big at Rd 3 of MTB World Cup DH Series | DH MTB - Leogang, Austria
- 11.06.2015 : Price Sweeps to Fourth Finke Desert Race Win | Off-Road - Northern Territory, Australia