TLD at UCI BMX Supercross Round 1 in Manchester
BMX - Manchester, GBR
Sam’s Super TT crash below, its obvious Sam lays out a tremendous amount of horsepower and on a track like this, as Sam said later “I guess you have to go slow, to go fast on a track like this.”
Because the men had quarterfinals, the women went first until the final two gates of the evening. At the most inopportune time, the live stream went down for the first three quarterfinal laps, which trimmed Donny Robinson, Justin Posey and 10 others from the program. We got our coverage back just as the fourth quarter was headed down the ramp, with Sam Willoughby out to a commanding lead. Corben was out of gate three, and looked like he had a good lap in front of him. He was in third into turn one, behind Sam and TLD’s Jelle van Gorkom (welcome back!), then TLD’s Twan van Gendt got under him as the pack headed into the second straight. Damien Godet got inside on the approach to turn two, and that swung our man wide enough to give up the ghost. Sometimes you bite the bear, and sometimes the bear bites you.
Six laps to go for the season opener, and the normally-staid British crowd was ready to come unglued. First out, once again, was Liam Phillips, starting from the inside. Anthony Dean was on Liam’s starboard side coming into turn one, and it was a Sam Willoughby “Sammich,” with Sylvain Andre and Jelle van Gorkom, hoping for some bread in the final. Andre had the inside, and slipped under Sam, which was enough to push Jelle wide, and set the table for the first half of the Elite Men’s main: Phillips, Dean, Willoughby and Andre.
The Pro Gate was raised one final time for the weekend, and Liam Phillips slipped his Yess scoot into lane one. Connor Fields was aboard his blue Chase in Lane two, Joris Daudet on a GT in lane three, Anthony Dean’s DK in four, Tory Nyhaug on the Canadian Redline in five, then Redline Teammate Sam Willoughby, Sylvain Andre on the French-made “Definitive” frame, and Renato Rezende (on whom we could not ID the bike–sorry).
The guys were out clean, and it was Phillips, Fields, Dean and Sam Willoughby almost indistinguishable from the side–it was that tight. Andre was in fifth, and Nyhaug in sixth in a freeze-frame over the first jump. The setup for the kicker threw the deck in the air, as Connor got out of shape, unclipped, but owing to major bike control, stayed on two wheels. The deck-in-the-air moment left Tory enough daylight to slip next to Sam for a battle for second in turn one. Phillips was well-away in the lead.
Into turn two, it was Phillips, Nyhaug and Willoughby, which would hold all the way home.
Starting from the inside, Shanaze Reade owned it from the drop (some with a different accent might say, even before that). Still, the pack was close over the first jump, and it was an eternity in one second to see who would emerge in podium contention. That would be Brooke Crain boosting the kicker with controlled-style in the deuce, and a trio of Alise, Arielle and Merle making it interesting for third. Into turn two, Shanaze and Brooke were spot-welded in their spots, and Alise / Arielle looked like it could be a two-American podium. Just then, Merle railed up the inside and put the swoop on Arielle. Alise held it for the third straight, but Merle made up serious ground down the last straight, to get her at the line. It looked a heck-of-a-lot closer than the clock had it, with Merle finishing with a 33.675 and Alise with 33.724. Reade’s time of 32.094 was, as you might expect, the fastest of the day for the ladies.
2013 UCI BMX Supercross World Cup Manchester - Results
Liam Phillips (GBR)
Tory Nyhaug (CAN)
Sam Willoughby (AUS) - TROY LEE DESIGNS
Sylvain Andre (FRA)
Connor Fields (USA)
Renato Rezende (BRA)
Joris Daudet (FRA) - TROY LEE DESIGNS
Anthony Dean (AUS)
Shanaze Reade (GBR)
Brooke Crain (USA)
Merle van Benthem (NED) - TROY LEE DESIGNS
Alise Post (USA) - TROY LEE DESIGNS
Lauren Reynolds (AUS) - TROY LEE DESIGNS
Arielle Martin (USA)
Monon Valentino (FRA)
Aneta Hladikova (CZE)
- 29.06.2015 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Riders Endure Weather As Season Hits Halfway Point | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 29.06.2015 : TLD’s Noren Bounces Back For Solid Moto 2 Finish at Budds Creek | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 26.06.2015 : Scott Dixon Looks to Complete Career California Track Sweep | IndyCar - Fontana, CA
- 23.06.2015 : Ward Wins Pole and Takes 4th in Red Bull GRC Debut at Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.06.2015 : Block Takes 2nd at Rd 3 of 2015 Red Bull GRC Season in Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 18.06.2015 : Podium Finish for Dempsey and Long at Le Mans | Auto Racing - Le Mans, France
- 15.06.2015 : TLD's Seely and Noren Earn Top-10 Finishes in Pennsylvania | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : Top-10 Results for TLD’s Nelson and McElrath at High Point National | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : TLD Bike Athletes Go Big at Rd 3 of MTB World Cup DH Series | DH MTB - Leogang, Austria
- 11.06.2015 : Price Sweeps to Fourth Finke Desert Race Win | Off-Road - Northern Territory, Australia