Third Overall for Tyler Medaglia at Gopher Dunes
MX - Courtland, Ontario
The nation's top riders were back in action after a brief hiatus as Gopher Dunes hosted Round 5 of the 2012 Monster Energy Canadian Motocross Nationals.
With a large hometown crowd cheering them on, Gopher Dunes Racing / Troy Lee Designs / Powersports Honda team rider Tyler Medaglia looked to continue his push up the rankings and assert himself as a top contender in the nation.
Moto 1 saw another unbelievable ride by Medaglia. Systematically picking off one rider at a time after a dismal start left him in 20th, but Tyler's sheer tenacity and fitness allowed him to work his way back up to 4th place, two seconds behind 3rd place Tremblay, in what proved to be the most physically demanding race of the season thus far. Although just shy of the podium, Medaglia kept defending 2011 National Champion, Colton Facciotti and runner-up Dust Klatt, behind him in a sting showing in Moto 1.
With three full motos now complete for the day, the MX1 riders took to the gate, staring down the roughest, deepest and most intimidating track in Canada. Medaglia, not content on his 4th place finish in Moto 1, shot out of the gate in Moto 2, missing the holeshot by mere inches, and proceeded to lay down his best ride of the season, and one reminiscent of his past National Championship seasons. A three way battle for the lead saw Medaglia and Goerke get around #2 Klatt on his KTM, and although Goerke proved to be too much for the rest of the field to handle on this day, Medaglia settled into a blistering pace, keeping some of the nation's best behind him. Medaglia and his #11 GDR / TLD / Powersports Honda charges through the heat and grueling conditions to finish 2nd in Moto 2, securing 3rd place overall in front of the hometown crowd.
"In Moto 1, my start was frustrating and 4th place wasn't where I wanted to be with the hometown fans watching, so I knew come Moto 2 I needed that start, and I got it," said Medaglia. "The tough conditions go without saying anytime you show up here at the Dunes. I'm just really happy for the team and for putting the GDR / TLD / Powersports Honda bike back up on the podium where we belong."
Derek Schuster, team manager said "It was a great weekend for us. Tyler has sole possession of 3rd place in the championship standings. He is the top Canadian rider in MX1 right now and top privateer in the entire series, so we have accomplished a great deal but are by no means done yet."
Medaglia currently sits in 3rd place overall in the Monster Energy Canadian Motocross Nationals standing, trailing 2nd place Kiniry by 29 points, and 1st place Goerke by 65 points.
Round 6 of the series takes place at Ste-Julie on Sunday, July 22nd.
- 29.07.2015 : TLD / KTM's Toby Price Takes 5th AORC Crown of His Career | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 27.07.2015 : Team TLD Riders All Score Top-10 Finishes at Washougal | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Makes It Three Weekends In A Row With Career-Best Finish | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : Interview: Brandon Semenuk and Rupert Walker - Revel In The Chaos | Freeride MTB - Pinkbike Interview
- 24.07.2015 : TLD's Toby Price Could Wrap Up Fifth AORC Crown This Weekend | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 24.07.2015 : Sage Karam Earns First-Career Podium At Iowa 2015 | IndyCar - Newton, IA
- 23.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Backs Up Career Best Result With Seventh Overall | AMA Pro Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : TLD’s McElrath Breaks Into Top-10 With Impressive Moto 2 Ride | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : KTM Strong Man Kirk Gibbs Braves The Pain At Shepparton | Motocross - Victoria, Australia
- 10.07.2015 : TLD/KTM’s Toby Price Picked Up By Red Bull Factory Rally Team | World Motorcycle Rally Championships