Steve Peat collects Lisbon DH win number eight
Lisbon Downhill - Portugal
Santa Cruz Syndicate's Steve Peat is on a roll.
After two back-to-back wins at the most recent downhill World Cups, he also won the Lisbon Downtown race. Peat winning is Lisbon was a familiar sight -- it was his eighth consecutive victory at the 10 year old event.
Peat said it was the hardest urban race he had ever competed in. He said: "After a bad qualification session, the race was very hard and I felt the pressure until the last second!"
GT's Mick Hannah rode well to earn himself second place, and Peat's teammate Greg Minnaar rounded out the podium with a third place finish.
The race was nearly rained out when precipitation fell the night before and right before the first practice run, making the cobbles dangerously unrideable for a time.
Peat credited his bike for helping him to victory while Minnaar said, "I felt I had a good qualifier and I wanted to do the same in the final, but with a bit more pace to the run. I tried to pedal too much, and I didn't go as fast, but I'm happy for Steve."
The event in Lisbon was watched by a crowd of 20,000. The heart of the Portuguese capital was transformed into a downhill course for the day, with stairs, tram lines, sharp corners, slippery pavements and even a car to negotiate on the 760-metre-long course.
1.) Steve Peat (GBr) Santa Cruz Syndicate / 1.38.281
2.) Mick Hannah (Aus) GT Bicycles / 0.00.185
3.) Greg Minnaar (RSA) Santa Cruz Syndicate / 0.01.733
4.) Emanuel Pombo (Por) Liberty / Run & Bike Specialized / 0.02.245
5.) Roger Gonzalez (Spa) Valnord / Commencal / 0.02.361
6.) Andrew Neethling (RSA) Trek World Racing / 0.03.763
7.) Paulo Domingues (Por) Biciplus / 0.03.873
8.) Marc Beaumont (GBr) GT Bicycles / 0.04.030
9.) Thibaut Ruffin (Fra) Commencal - Riding Addiction / 0.04.341
10.) Justin Leov (NZl) Trek World Racing / 0.04.494
- 30.01.2016 : Oakland SX Race Report | Oakland, CA
- 23.01.2016 : Race Report Anaheim 2 | Anaheim, CA
- 16.01.2016 : Race Report San Diego 1 | San Diego, CA
- 15.01.2016 : Update On Jessy Nelson's Practice Crash | Corona, CA
- 09.01.2016 : TLDs Jessy Nelson Starts Off in Championship Hunt | Anaheim, CA
- 09.01.2016 : TLDs Cole Seely Races to Podium Finish at Season Opener | Anaheim, CA
- 01.01.2016 : TLD And FMF Factory KTM Offroad Partner | Corona, CA
- 08.12.2015 : KTM FACTORY MEDIA INTRO | Corona, CA
- 28.11.2015 : 2015 East Coast Mini Olympics Report | Gainsville, FL
- 16.11.2015 : Bud-Racing’s Lillie SX Race Report | Moto - Lillie, France