Steve Peat collects Lisbon DH win number eight
Lisbon Downhill - Portugal
Santa Cruz Syndicate's Steve Peat is on a roll.
After two back-to-back wins at the most recent downhill World Cups, he also won the Lisbon Downtown race. Peat winning is Lisbon was a familiar sight -- it was his eighth consecutive victory at the 10 year old event.
Peat said it was the hardest urban race he had ever competed in. He said: "After a bad qualification session, the race was very hard and I felt the pressure until the last second!"
GT's Mick Hannah rode well to earn himself second place, and Peat's teammate Greg Minnaar rounded out the podium with a third place finish.
The race was nearly rained out when precipitation fell the night before and right before the first practice run, making the cobbles dangerously unrideable for a time.
Peat credited his bike for helping him to victory while Minnaar said, "I felt I had a good qualifier and I wanted to do the same in the final, but with a bit more pace to the run. I tried to pedal too much, and I didn't go as fast, but I'm happy for Steve."
The event in Lisbon was watched by a crowd of 20,000. The heart of the Portuguese capital was transformed into a downhill course for the day, with stairs, tram lines, sharp corners, slippery pavements and even a car to negotiate on the 760-metre-long course.
1.) Steve Peat (GBr) Santa Cruz Syndicate / 1.38.281
2.) Mick Hannah (Aus) GT Bicycles / 0.00.185
3.) Greg Minnaar (RSA) Santa Cruz Syndicate / 0.01.733
4.) Emanuel Pombo (Por) Liberty / Run & Bike Specialized / 0.02.245
5.) Roger Gonzalez (Spa) Valnord / Commencal / 0.02.361
6.) Andrew Neethling (RSA) Trek World Racing / 0.03.763
7.) Paulo Domingues (Por) Biciplus / 0.03.873
8.) Marc Beaumont (GBr) GT Bicycles / 0.04.030
9.) Thibaut Ruffin (Fra) Commencal - Riding Addiction / 0.04.341
10.) Justin Leov (NZl) Trek World Racing / 0.04.494
- 28.08.2014 : Unsung Hero: Fredrik Noren on the 2014 MX Season | AMA Motocross - RacerX Interview
- 27.08.2014 : Micky Dymond to Race 2nd Annual AMA Sturgis Supermoto Race | Supermoto - Sturgis, SD
- 27.08.2014 : Colton Facciotti Discusses Utah And Latvia | Motocross - Canada
- 26.08.2014 : Ken Block Takes 2nd at GRC Daytona and Moves Into 2nd In the Championship | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 26.08.2014 : Chaz Mostert 'Rains' Supreme At Sydney Motorsport Park 400 | V8 Supercars - Sydney, Australia
- 26.08.2014 : Cole Seely Signs With American Honda | Supercross and Motocross - Torrance, CA
- 26.08.2014 : Dany Torres Takes 2nd In Red Bull X-Fighters Pretoria | FMX - Pretoria, South Africa
- 25.08.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Closes Outdoor Season in Utah | AMA Motocross - Tooele, UT
- 25.08.2014 : New Factory Honda Rider Cole Seely Signs Multi-Year Deal With TLD | AMA Motocross - Corona, CA
- 25.08.2014 : Dixon Claims Second Win of the Season at Sonoma | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA