Servia and Panther DDR Race to 6th Place Finish at Long Beach
IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
• Oriol Servia finished 6th in the 2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach in the No. 22 Charter Panther DRR Chevrolet.
• During yesterday's qualifications, Servia made contact with the tire barrier avoiding the No. 9 car of Scott Dixon's which had stopped in the middle of the track after a spin. INDYCAR officials initially penalized Servia his fastest lap for causing a yellow flag; however, that penalty was later rescinded. His lap time was given back, allowing him to start the race in the 18th position.
• Servia had advanced to the 16th position before his first pit stop on Lap 26. Changes to the car included two turns of front wing and a switch to Firestone Firehawk alternate (red-sidewall) tires.
• Several cars pitted under the next caution, advancing Servia to 13th. Skillful driving helped him avoid an incident in Turn 1 of the Lap 34 restart which moved him to up to 8th.
• On the Lap 38 restart, Servia made contact with the slowing car of Simon Pagenaud, breaking several pieces on the front wing. Servia's lap times remained consistent and the team made the decision not to change the nose.
• After another pit stop on Lap 51 during a full course caution, Servia advanced to 6th position. The crew added two turns to the left side of the broken front wing to balance the understeer.
• Pagenaud passed Servia on the Lap 55 restart, but Servia passed him back on Lap 56 to regain 6th.
• Servia was catching the No. 11 car of Tony Kanaan by .7 seconds per lap in the closing laps. He caught up to him in Turn 1 on Lap 78. Servia was on the inside of Kanaan and the two made contact. Servia continued but was passed by JR Hildebrand.
• Servia took the checkered flag in 6th place but was issued a 30 second penalty after the race for what was deemed avoidable contact with Kanaan. After further review, the penalty was later rescinded the 6th place finish stands.
• The 2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach featured 80 laps around the 1.96-mile, 12-turn street circuit in the streets of Long Beach, California.
• Panther DRR will return to the track May 4-5 for the Sao Paulo Indy 300 in Brazil.
Oriol Servia, No. 22 Charter Panther DDR Chevrolet, Finished 6th:
On the race:
"I had the best car probably of the whole season in the race. It was awesome. On one restart, I don't know what happened to Simon [Pagenaud] but he slowed down in the straight and I broke the front wing. Even with that we were one of the fastest cars on track. I was saving fuel but I was flying. I was so happy!"
On the incident with Tony Kanaan:
"With two laps to go, I had a run on Tony [Kanaan]. I was on the push to pass, I don't think he saw me coming. I got on his inside and he closed the door. I was there - I cannot disappear! It was one of those deals where you both want the same space in the corner so you crash. I'm angry with him, he's angry with me. That's what happens in racing."
- 19.11.2014 : Interview: Troy Lee | Company
- 11.11.2014 : Redmond and Graffunder Take on Ukupacha in Ecuador | Enduro - Ukupacha, Ecuador
- 10.11.2014 : USA Got Hold of Junior Trophy Victory in Argentina | Off-Road - San Juan, Argentina
- 06.11.2014 : Mitchell DeJong Clinches 2014 GRC Lites Championship | Global Rallycross Lites - Las Vegas, NV
- 05.11.2014 : Behind The Scenes with Kiwi Indycar Champ Scott Dixon | IndyCar - New Zealand
- 04.11.2014 : Lusty Industries Opens In New Zealand | Newcastle, NSW Australia
- 03.11.2014 : Runner-Up Finish for ESM Patrón at Shanghai | WEC - Shanghai, China
- 03.11.2014 : From Joyride to Rampage to unReal: Brandon Semenuk's Non-Stop Year | Freeride MTB
- 30.10.2014 : Interview: Darryn Durham on Supercross Africa | Supercross - Pretoria, South Africa
- 17.10.2014 : Vinny Nuzzolilli AMA Pro Hillclimb Unlimited Champion | Pro Hillclimb - Oregonia, OH