Semenuk Wins Slopestyle and Best Trick at Les 2 Alpes
MTB - Les 2 Alpes, France
On Saturday, Canadian slopestyle star Brandon Semenuk took home all the spoils with just one run at the Crankworx Les 2 Alpes Slopestyle presented by iXS and the Teva Best Trick. His prize purse for that one run was 2,000€ for Teva Best Trick and 7,000€ for the Slopestyle.
Unknown Frenchman Leo Delfour Barrascq, who was invited to the event as a wildcard, had the second highest score and won 4,000€, while Martin Söderström took home third and 1,500€. Fourth place and 1,000€ went to course designer Yannick Granieri and another French wildcard Tomas Lemoine earned fifth place and 500€.
Because extremely strong winds were forecasted to pick up later in the day, organizers at Crankworx Les 2 Alpes made the decision to open the Slopestyle presented by iXS and the Teva Best Trick Showdown competition at 12:30pm so the athletes could get two runs in while the sun was shining and the wind was relatively calm. The majority of the athletes executed two runs, but Brandon was satisfied with his first run and opted out of the second.
At 6pm the stage was set for Les 2 Alpes, and for the worldwide audience watching the webcast powered by Red Bull Media House, to see the athletes’ third runs. However, the same gusting winds that plagued the Teva Best Trick on Thursday night made another appearance. The athletes decided to play on the safe side, forego the third run, and be judged on their two runs from the afternoon.
Despite being cut short, the Slopestyle saw the world’s best slope riders make the most of their two runs on the highly trickable course Yannick Granieri designed for Les 2 Alpes Bike Park.
“Brandon was his usual calculated self,” says Ryan Meyer, Crankworx Les 2 Alpes’ live host and sport announcer. “His run had combo tricks galore. The guy is so dialed, the run was almost too perfect.”
Semeuk’s run highlights included a 360 onto the first dish with a switch 360 out, a huge flip whip on the first trick jump, and then a massive backflip off the road gap. The backflip had the most risk because the off axis landing has the rider banking immediately to the right after landing to make the 10 inch path to get onto the boner log. Semenuk’s fellow competitors gave him the most props for it and awarded him the Teva Best Trick for what was likely the most difficult line performed in the entire competition.
France’s unknown rider Leo Delfour Barrascq broke out onto the world freeride scene in a big way by out-tricking many of the world’s best freestyle riders. He thinks he was lucky but his skill was apparent as he performed two super strong runs. Standouts for technicality and balls include a 360 off the skinny log that then flowed into a huge floaty 720 over the first trick jump. His final trick, on the FMX super kicker, was a Superman nothing that had him sailing free of his bike, for what felt like forever, before he grabbed the seat and landed.
“There are definitely shades of Paul Bas in Leo’s story and we are all feeling like this is history repeating itself,” says Meyer, referencing Bas’s breakthrough performance at Crankworx Whistler in 2004. “Leo was a wildcard invite to tonight’s competition and with this win has earned himself a wildcard invite to the Red Bull Joyride event at Crankworx Whistler on August 18, 2012.”
Crankworx Whistler is known for revealing up and coming talent. Tonight’s event and the stand out performance of the French wildcard athletes Leo Delfour Barrascq and Tomas Lemoine in fifth show Les 2 Alpes will continue the Crankworx tradition of elevating riders’ careers and notoriety.
Current event photography and videos to embed are available at the following links:
Crankworx Les 2 Alpes takes place July 9-15, 2012 and will build on Crankworx’s legendary legacy in the arena of freeride mountain biking. This event will be the first Crankworx event to take place outside of North America and is co-hosted by Ayton Concept. The ninth annual Crankworx Whistler is presented by Whistler Blackcomb and the Whistler Mountain Bike Park. Crankworx Whistler is the biggest annual event held in Whistler and is also the largest freeride mountain bike festival in the world. Crankworx Whistler will take place August 10-19, 2012.
- 07.07.2015 : New Troy Lee Designs Canadian Funny Car Schedules Debut | Funny Car - Edmonton AB, Canada
- 06.07.2015 : TLD Riders Celebrate Fourth of July with Heartfelt Efforts | AMA Pro Motocross -Buchanan, MI
- 29.06.2015 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Riders Endure Weather As Season Hits Halfway Point | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 29.06.2015 : TLD’s Noren Bounces Back For Solid Moto 2 Finish at Budds Creek | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 26.06.2015 : Scott Dixon Looks to Complete Career California Track Sweep | IndyCar - Fontana, CA
- 23.06.2015 : Ward Wins Pole and Takes 4th in Red Bull GRC Debut at Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.06.2015 : Block Takes 2nd at Rd 3 of 2015 Red Bull GRC Season in Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 18.06.2015 : Podium Finish for Dempsey and Long at Le Mans | Auto Racing - Le Mans, France
- 15.06.2015 : TLD's Seely and Noren Earn Top-10 Finishes in Pennsylvania | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : Top-10 Results for TLD’s Nelson and McElrath at High Point National | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA