Sam Hill Dominates Australian MTB Series, Round 4
National MTB Series - Mt. Buller, Austrailia
Two-time World Champion Sam Hill annihilated his opposition in a blinding downhill run in the fourth National Series round in Mt Buller. Hill blitzed down the 3 km run in 3:18.84, beating National Champion Mick Hannah from Cairns by six seconds.
"It was pretty hard," admitted Hill. "I wanted to give it everything I had to see what time I could do. It's a fairly technical and a loose and dusty and dry course."
Third was Amiel Cavalier from Wollongong while fourth, by just 0.16 seconds, was Bryn Atkinson from the Blue Mountains. Fifth was Hill's teammate and British professional, Brendan Fairclough, again just 0.13 seconds further down.
Both Hill and Fairclough will now spend two months in Perth to prepare for their assault on the World Cup series which has been dominated by Hill in previous years.
"I've got two months before the first World Cup. I will just get as fit and strong as I can," explained Hill.
The fifth and final round of the series will be held in Hobart at the end of February.
About the Course
Mt Buller is situated in the heart of Victoria's High Country, an easy three-hour drive from Melbourne; Mt Buller is the most accessible major alpine resort in Australia. Unlike the winter period, no gate entry or parking fees are charged during the summer season. Mt Buller and Buller Ski Lifts have played host to a large number of high profile mountain bike events over the years.
The downhill race will be held on the renowned International track. Boasting some of the most technical terrain in the country, this track has long stood the test of time as a fantastic high level race course. International is a high quality Downhill trail with a fantastic variation of terrain to suit High Intermediate and Advanced riders.
The track can be broken up into three sections.
The upper section consists of rocky technical single track that weaves its way through the snow guns, momentum and flow are essential as races are won and lost in this area. The middle section of the track drops into some steep terrain with high speed sections and technical track with multiple lines.
The lower section of trail features the steepest section of track followed by the famous International wall ride.
The lead into the finish is on an open high speed fire road with two big air jumps and the Horse Hill chairlift awaits to carry you and your stead back to the top.
Length: 2 km, 100% Downhill
Drop offs to a height of 2m
Berms to a maximum angle of 75 degrees
Vertical Descent: 200m
- 30.10.2014 : Interview: Darryn Durham on Supercross Africa | Supercross - Pretoria, South Africa
- 17.10.2014 : Vinny Nuzzolilli AMA Pro Hillclimb Unlimited Champion | Pro Hillclimb - Oregonia, OH
- 13.10.2014 : Greg Hancock Is 2014 Speedway World Champion | Speedway - Torun, Poland
- 06.10.2014 : Jessy Nelson 3rd at Red Bull Straight Rhythm 2014 | Race Team - Pomona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Troy Lee Designs / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Signs Darryn Durham | Race Team - Corona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : 32 Riders to Compete in Red Bull Straight Rhythm at Fairplex on October 4 | Supercross - Pomona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Vildosola Racing Leads the SCORE International Championship | SCORE - Imperial Valley, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Darryn Durham - Back In Orange And Black | Race Team
- 01.10.2014 : Brandon Semenuk is the FMB Overall Champion | Freeride MTB - Virgin, UT
- 29.09.2014 : Willoughby and Pajon Victorious at Chula Vista BMX | BMX - Chula Vista, CA