Sam and Mariana Triple Up at the Disney Cup
BMX - Orlando, FL
Strictly speaking, we were glad to see the race moved into a climate-stable venue–out of the reach of hurricanes and monsoon rains that have been visited upon the race at least twice in its seven-year history.
As the last chance for 2013 Amateur scores, the full-array of star power was on-scene to do battle, though we had a couple notables out this weekend. Felicia Stancil and Shay Glynn were in North Carolina for the USA Cycling Collegiate Mountain Bike National Championships. Tyler Whitfield won his Friday main at Disney, was listed as 8th in Saturday’s main, then flew to NC to catch up with the MTB race, where he finished 36th out of 54 in Dual Slalom (more on that race later today in “Quick Hits”). We think he may have had to no-show Saturday’s main to make his flight.
Lots of light on the Pro Women title chase. Dom Daniels is intent on defending her multi-year hold on the cup. But, it looks like Alise Post will be healthy and racing the Grands this year, bringing an element we have not had in the past two years. Alise was back in Minnesota this weekend, leaving the slicing and dicing to others til next month in Tulsa.
As an added bonus, Mariana Pajon has started a podium crystal collection of her own, adding three more to the shelf this weekend-sweeping the class for Dan’s Comp.
Brook Crain was also riding well in Orlando, with two seconds (Fri and Sun) and a third.
For her part, Dom got at least two of the Answer Holeshot awards on the weekend, but ended up with a second on Saturday and two thirds. We’re going to be watching the Women’s title chase closely, since it will be a close one.
The Men’s title chase, on the other hand, is a slightly more solidified situation. Sam Willoughby had a whopping 14 wins going into Disney, then swept the class with three more (with 30+ riders, so a trio of tasty paydays as well!).
Check out more photos of the Disney Cup competitors in action from BMX News.
- 01.05.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Launches All New SE Air Racewear | Product - Corona, CA
- 30.04.2015 : 2015 Marks a Different King of Year for Long | World Endurance Championship
- 29.04.2015 : TLD’s Cole Seely Claims Fifth Podium of Rookie Season | AMA Supercross - East Rutherford, NJ
- 29.04.2015 : McElrath’s 450SX Debut Nearly Garners a Top-10 Finish | AMA Supercross - East Rutherford, NJ
- 22.04.2015 : Alise Post Grabs 2nd at Manchester BMX | BMX - Manchester, England
- 21.04.2015 : Scott Dixon wins Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 21.04.2015 : CGRT Claims SportsCar Showcase Runner-Up Finish in Long Beach | SportsCar - Long Beach, CA
- 21.04.2015 : Lusty / TLD / KTM Riders Excel In A Tough Hedley Round | Off-Road - Victoria, Australia
- 20.04.2015 : 'My Weekend Was…' With Cole Seely - Santa Clara SX Recap | AMA Supercross - Santa Clara, CA
- 20.04.2015 : The Play-By-Play of Shane McElrath’s Race Day in Santa Clara | AMA Supercross - Santa Clara, CA