Sam and Mariana Triple Up at the Disney Cup
BMX - Orlando, FL
Strictly speaking, we were glad to see the race moved into a climate-stable venue–out of the reach of hurricanes and monsoon rains that have been visited upon the race at least twice in its seven-year history.
As the last chance for 2013 Amateur scores, the full-array of star power was on-scene to do battle, though we had a couple notables out this weekend. Felicia Stancil and Shay Glynn were in North Carolina for the USA Cycling Collegiate Mountain Bike National Championships. Tyler Whitfield won his Friday main at Disney, was listed as 8th in Saturday’s main, then flew to NC to catch up with the MTB race, where he finished 36th out of 54 in Dual Slalom (more on that race later today in “Quick Hits”). We think he may have had to no-show Saturday’s main to make his flight.
Lots of light on the Pro Women title chase. Dom Daniels is intent on defending her multi-year hold on the cup. But, it looks like Alise Post will be healthy and racing the Grands this year, bringing an element we have not had in the past two years. Alise was back in Minnesota this weekend, leaving the slicing and dicing to others til next month in Tulsa.
As an added bonus, Mariana Pajon has started a podium crystal collection of her own, adding three more to the shelf this weekend-sweeping the class for Dan’s Comp.
Brook Crain was also riding well in Orlando, with two seconds (Fri and Sun) and a third.
For her part, Dom got at least two of the Answer Holeshot awards on the weekend, but ended up with a second on Saturday and two thirds. We’re going to be watching the Women’s title chase closely, since it will be a close one.
The Men’s title chase, on the other hand, is a slightly more solidified situation. Sam Willoughby had a whopping 14 wins going into Disney, then swept the class with three more (with 30+ riders, so a trio of tasty paydays as well!).
Check out more photos of the Disney Cup competitors in action from BMX News.
- 18.12.2014 : Tis The Season With Colton Facciotti | Rider Support - Canada
- 17.12.2014 : TLD Canada Amateur Profile: Hayden Wolff | Rider Support - Prince George, BC, Canda
- 10.12.2014 : Privateer Profile: Ross Johnson | International - Canada
- 09.12.2014 : Scott Dixon Returns To TCGR for 2015 IndyCar Series | IndyCar Series
- 19.11.2014 : Interview: Troy Lee | Company
- 11.11.2014 : Redmond and Graffunder Take on Ukupacha in Ecuador | Enduro - Ukupacha, Ecuador
- 10.11.2014 : USA Got Hold of Junior Trophy Victory in Argentina | Off-Road - San Juan, Argentina
- 06.11.2014 : Mitchell DeJong Clinches 2014 GRC Lites Championship | Global Rallycross Lites - Las Vegas, NV
- 05.11.2014 : Behind The Scenes with Kiwi Indycar Champ Scott Dixon | IndyCar - New Zealand
- 04.11.2014 : Lusty Industries Opens In New Zealand | Newcastle, NSW Australia