Ropelato Rises and Hill Sets His Sites
MTB - Val D'Isere, France
Monster Energy / Specialized Racing was in Val D'Isere, France this weekend for the sixth round of the UCI MTB World Cup, where Mitch Ropelato took home a career best 13th place, and Sam Hill returned to vintage speed.
The track for the first ever World Cup stop in Val D'Isere was rough, high speed, and got more so as the week went on as hundreds of riders took to the course. The braking bumps got deeper and deeper, making it tough to carry speed through corners and maintain control. Weather conditions varied between sunshine, torrential rains, and even hail, as riders tackled the sub two-and-a-half minute course laid out on the steep exposed ski run.
Sam dropped into his race run in usual style only to fall a couple turns in, then quickly gathered himself before crossing the first split in 73rd place. He dug deep and made up spots on the way down, eventually finishing 27th on the day. Mitch came down a few riders later holding onto a relatively smooth run landing him in 13th overall for the day.
Ropelato was happy with his run, despite an error at the top of the course. "My run went good. I had one mistake but the rest was muy bien. I came down 6th and ended up in 13th place, so I'm pretty stoked. It's my best world cup so far and I'm happy to be able to take advantage of this opportunity that has been given to me."
Hill was out of contention for the win here almost as soon as his run started, when he went down on the 3rd corner in deep, silty dirt. "My run didn't start off the greatest. I got into the third turn and pushed my front end right through a rut and ended up on the ground. I tried to get up as quick as I could and go as fast as I could from there down. I'm happy with the way I have been riding this week, I feel like my speed is there and luck just isn't on my side. I'm hoping to go for the win at Crankworx and use that to carry some momentum into World's at Leogang in a few weeks time."
Mitch came out and performed at least as well as the team could ask. “He’s been awesome to work with during the past few events. I think he’s learning more each time he’s on the bike, and he’ll continue creeping up the ranks,” said team manager, Sean Heimdal.
“I know this isn’t the result that Sam set out for today, but we can see he’s back to his old ways and his lower split times show that he’s back up to speed. I’m looking forward to seeing these guys perform at World Champs, and we’re all looking forward to having Troy back with us by then,” Heimdal continued.
The team is now off to Crankworx Festival in Whistler for a week of racing before setting off to World Championships in Leogang, Austria.
We’d like to thank the following companies for their continued support: Monster Energy, Specialized Bicycles, Mad Catz, SRAM, Truvativ, Rock Shox, Avid, DT Swiss, e.thirteen, SDG, Renthal, Troy Lee Designs, Maxima, Spy Optic, Cane Creek, e-thirteen, Contour, Five Ten, Alligator, Team Associated, Kicker, KMC.
Follow the team at:
I-AM-Specialized - http://iamspecialized.com/gravity/team/monster-energy---specialized/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/MESracing
Twitter - @MESracing @troybrosnan
Specialized was founded in 1974 by riders for riders. Based in Northern California, we focus on the rider's need for functional and technically advanced products that provide a performance benefit.
- 19.11.2014 : Interview: Troy Lee | Company
- 11.11.2014 : Redmond and Graffunder Take on Ukupacha in Ecuador | Enduro - Ukupacha, Ecuador
- 10.11.2014 : USA Got Hold of Junior Trophy Victory in Argentina | Off-Road - San Juan, Argentina
- 06.11.2014 : Mitchell DeJong Clinches 2014 GRC Lites Championship | Global Rallycross Lites - Las Vegas, NV
- 05.11.2014 : Behind The Scenes with Kiwi Indycar Champ Scott Dixon | IndyCar - New Zealand
- 04.11.2014 : Lusty Industries Opens In New Zealand | Newcastle, NSW Australia
- 03.11.2014 : Runner-Up Finish for ESM Patrón at Shanghai | WEC - Shanghai, China
- 03.11.2014 : From Joyride to Rampage to unReal: Brandon Semenuk's Non-Stop Year | Freeride MTB
- 30.10.2014 : Interview: Darryn Durham on Supercross Africa | Supercross - Pretoria, South Africa
- 17.10.2014 : Vinny Nuzzolilli AMA Pro Hillclimb Unlimited Champion | Pro Hillclimb - Oregonia, OH