Red Bull Straight Rhythm: Evolution of Supercross
Supercross - Red Bull
If you grew up racing motocross, at one point or another, your dad laid these words of moto wisdom on you: Jump for show, corner for dough. Finally, the day has come that you can tell pops to stuff it, and all of that fun you were having on the jumps was worth it.
This is Red Bull Straight Rhythm, where the plan was to take the supercross game and flip it on its head. The first step was to design and build an SX track that's been unwound -- no turns, just a half-mile of straight up supercross. Next, invite the fastest riders on the planet to test the ground-breaking course and see what happens.
Luckily for us, the plan worked out swimmingly. James Stewart and his brother Malcolm Stewart, Ryan Dungey, Marvin Musquin, Jessy Nelson, Cole Seely, and Justin Bogle all made the trip to a secluded valley in southern California to take a swing at Straight Rhythm.
Head-to-head motos lasting just shy of 60 seconds – nearly equivalent to a lap of supercross – meant epic racing all day long, and these guys weren’t even actually racing. Thanks to an insatiable competitive drive, the riders put on a hell of a show.
Straight Rhythm essentially transforms the status quo of supercross. No one is pulling away and making a snoozer out of a half-mile, pin-it-to-win-it race. It is all about bike skill, and just how far a rider is willing to go with it.
Mind blowing rhythms, incredible scrubs, and a complete disregard for sensibility when approaching the gargantuan whoops section were all regular aspects of every lap. Cole Seely had a triple step-on in one of the rhythm sections that was an absolute mind blower.
The fastest riders of the day? Well, that would be everyone. As was alluded to earlier, Straight Rhythm is a level playing field allowing for the best of the best to throw down.
It was James Stewart with the ever-so-tantilizing words of the day when the day of testing was all said and done: “If this was a real race, there was a lot more that I would have been doing out there.”
A real Straight Rhythm race? Interesting. Interesting, indeed...
See '10 Amazing Photos from Red Bull Straight Rhythm' here
- 30.07.2014 : Chris Holder Ready To Race Bydgoszcz | Speedway - Bydgoszcz, Poland
- 29.07.2014 : Ken Block Dominates Global Rallycross Charlotte | Rallycross - Charlotte, NC
- 29.07.2014 : Sam Willoughby Wins 2014 BMX World Cup Championships | BMX - Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 29.07.2014 : Toby Price On Top As Tri-Series Continues | Off Road - Carnarvon, Australia
- 28.07.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Top Ten In Washington | AMA Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 28.07.2014 : Brendan Fairclough Succeeds in Lenzerheide | DH MTB - Lenzerheide, Switzerland
- 28.07.2014 : Honda Muscle Milk Top Ten at Washougal | AMA Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 25.07.2014 : Simply Perfect Pole Position for ESM on National Patrón Tequila Day | TUSC - Indianapolis, IN
- 25.07.2014 : Hancock's Stormer In Sweden | Speedway GP - Motala, Sweden
- 24.07.2014 : Johnny and CJ Greaves Pull Pro-2 / Pro-4 Sweep at Bark River | TORC - Bark River, MI