Race Report: Mammoth Motocross Classic - 250 Day
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Drama hit the mountain today as riders fought for bragging rights and the coveted Golden Bear award. Today was a day dedicated to 250s and there were some amazing battles to take note of.
In the first moto Tommy Weeck was looking solid sitting in the 4th spot until he attempted a very aggressive pass on Jason Anderson that left them both on the ground. Tommy was able to get back up again quickly but Anderson was not so fortunate, as he fell all the way back to around 20th. Weeck was able to get back into the third spot before the checkers came out. In the second moto he put his head down and made some passes early and found himself all by himself in the number three spot once again; giving him third overall.
Jason Anderson was not supposed to be racing here this weekend, but made a call to Rodney Reynolds from Fly Racing to see if he could get him a spot on the starting line. Rodney did everything he could and finally got Anderson a spot on the gate for today's race. In the fist moto Jason was running strong, but was taken out by Weeck and forced to the back of the pack. In the second moto he got off to a great start and was able to get around Weigand for the lead and began to pull away. With Jason only getting up on the mountain yesterday he was not able to get adjusted to the altitude and began to struggle with his breathing about five laps into the race. He fell back to fifth, but all in all, he put in a solid ride for his first "big" pro race.
Eli Tomac flies here at Mammoth; he was in about seventh off the start but managed to put in an amazing charge. Tomac began picking guys off and finally worked his way into the fourth spot behind Jessy Nelson and Bryce Vallee. He made quick work of both Nelson and Vallee and it looked as if he was going to have to settle for second as Nick Paluzzi was about 12 seconds ahead. Eli didn't let this stop him though as he just kept on clicking off fast laps (anywhere from 2.5 to 3 seconds a lap faster then Paluzzi). This kid had things dialed and ended up getting around Paluzzi and checking out to an impressive win.
Nick "GQ" Paluzzi was on the gas and led most of the race. He has been fighting a shoulder injury which might have hindered him late in the moto when Eli reeled him in. Paluzzi rode a good race and finished up in the runner up spot.
- 17.05.2013 : 'Little' Brother Goes Big | VurbMoto Interview
- 16.05.2013 : Ricky and Luke Johnson Both Victorious at Eldora Speedway | TORC - Rossburg, OH
- 16.05.2013 : Catching Up With: Blake Savage | DMX Interview
- 15.05.2013 : Matt Simmonds Takes 3rd at Round 2 of the BDS Fort William | MTB - Fort William, Scotland
- 15.05.2013 : Kahne Battles for Darlington Win and Finishes Race in 17th | NASCAR - Darlington, SC
- 15.05.2013 : Troy Lee Designs Welcomes Malcolm Stewart to the Team | AMA Motocross
- 14.05.2013 : Extreme Speed Motorsports Finishes Third and Fourth at Laguna Seca | ALMS - Monterey, CA
- 14.05.2013 : Willoughby and Post Podium for Redline Bicycles at Tar Heel Nationals | BMX - Charlotte, NC
- 13.05.2013 : Muscle Milk TWMX Race Series Profile: Tyler Rosa | TWMX Interview
- 13.05.2013 : Montoya Scores Top-10 Finish for Team Target at Darlington Raceway | NASCAR - Darlington, SC