Patrick Long Pays Tribute to Tony Renna
ALMS - Braselton, GA
“Tony had a similar background to me,” recalled Long. “He raced in Europe on a Team USA Scholarship and had made his way as a kid from Florida from quarter midgets to open-wheel racing. “I think if you ask people about Tony, they’d say he was a classy example of a racing driver. He was humble and understated, but very focused. He was wellrespected across the paddock and I really looked up to him.”Renna got his big break at the end of the 2003 season, when Chip Ganassi signed him to his IRL team, partnering with Scott Dixon. Sadly, Renna never got to make a race start in his prized Ganassi ride. A testing crash at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Oct. 22, 2003, ended his life at the age of 26. “We lost him way too young,” Long said. “I have no qualms saying he would be a fixture in IndyCar right now. His climb was unconventional. He had to fight pretty hard as a test driver/driver coach/reserve driver at Kelley Racing. He was a fill-in for Al Unser Jr. and performed right away and I think Chip took note of that.”
For years after his death, Renna’s friends, Long included, ran the 7R (Renna’s quarter midget number) on their helmets. As the 10-year anniversary of his friend’s death neared, Long wanted to do something special to remember his mentor. He spoke with helmet designer Troy Lee about combining his design with Renna’s.
“I said ‘Troy, I know you’re busy, but do you think you can draw up some kind of design that merges the helmets of Tony and myself?’ Troy blew off all his meetings, took a blank page and started drawing. It was cool to see his take on it.”
So pleased with the way the design turned out, Long says he’s considering keeping it on as his regular helmet.
See Long’s new paint for yourself at the 16th Annual Petit Le Mans Powered by Mazda, Oct. 17 – 19, at Road Atlanta. Long will be behind the wheel of CORE autosport’s No. 06 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR which finished second in the most recent round at VIR.
- 18.04.2014 : Leduc Focused On Pro 4 Competition For Lake Elsinore | LOORRS - Lake Elsinore, CA
- 17.04.2014 : Race Rewind: Cole Seely Interview at Seattle SX 2014 | Supercross - MotoXAddicts Interview
- 17.04.2014 : TLD Now Offering FreeWheelin™ Bluetooth® Audio System for Bicycle Helmets | Company - Corona, CA
- 15.04.2014 : Patrick Long Finishes 5th at Long Beach 2014 | TUSCC - Long Beach, CA
- 15.04.2014 : Team Target Comes Up Just Short on the Streets of Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 15.04.2014 : Power and Montoya Both Finish In Top-5 at Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 14.04.2014 : Cole Seely Steals a Win in Seattle | Troy Lee Designs / Lucas Oil / Honda in Seattle
- 14.04.2014 : Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas Victorious at Long Beach | TUSCC - Long Beach, CA
- 14.04.2014 : TLD Athletes Have Exceptional Weekend in Multiple Disciplines and Events | Company - Corona, CA
- 14.04.2014 : Monday Conversation: Cole Seely After Seattle SX | Supercross - Racer X Interview