Marcos Ambrose Takes 5th at Bristol Motor Speedway
NASCAR - Bristol, TN
Starting up front, Ambrose maintained his spot in the top-10 in the opening laps. His car wasn’t perfect, but plenty fast to race with the leaders in the first 100 laps. NASCAR called for red flag on Lap 119 for rain, and Ambrose was able to communicate to Crew Chief Drew Blickensderfer changes needed to help run in the top-five again.
Once the race went back green, Ambrose was again fast, but a problem occurred on a long run during the middle of the race. Ambrose, who was having no problem in the top-10, quickly started to drop in the field. He was even put a lap down and told the STANLEY crew that he may have had a flat tire. Fortunately the team was able to hang on and pit before Ambrose had any more trouble. The tires taken off the car were worn out, and now, the team was ready to fight back.
Over the next hundred laps Ambrose was fast through race traffic. He passed lapped cars and also those on his own lap. After a restart, Ambrose was as far back as 18th and need to get to 16th to get his lap back. The following run, he moved to 17th and then the 16th car wrecked giving Ambrose his lap back in time for a move in the final 100 laps.
With a fast car, Ambrose moved from the top-15 to the top-10. Blickensderfer elected to keep Marcos on the track during the final pit stop, and it proved to be a great call. Ambrose restarted fifth and stayed there over the final 30 laps where he finished. The STANLEY team advanced to 15th in the championship standings.
”It’s just a great night for our STANLEY team and for Richard Petty Motorsports as well,” said Ambrose. “My teammate Aric Almirola was a couple spots in front of us, so we’re really proud of our team tonight and a great night for Ford tonight as well with Carl doing backflips on the frontstretch here. I’ve got thank the fans for sticking with us through all this rain this afternoon. I’m really proud of this STANLEY team and can’t wait to watch this one on replay and look forward to California coming up.
"These cars go a lot faster around this track than the old style cars, and we had to really dig in our feet. The groove went to the very fence, and we had to really watch ourselves there and keep adjusting the car all night. We got a bad set of tires where they started to cord really bad, so we lost a lap and then got it back. I passed Kyle Busch to get the lucky dog and worked our way back up to the front. We were close, and it’s a good finish. We will now look to get even better at California.”
Marcos and the #9 DeWALT team will hit the ground running as they head to Auto Club Speedway for Sunday’s race.
- 29.06.2015 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Riders Endure Weather As Season Hits Halfway Point | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 29.06.2015 : TLD’s Noren Bounces Back For Solid Moto 2 Finish at Budds Creek | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 26.06.2015 : Scott Dixon Looks to Complete Career California Track Sweep | IndyCar - Fontana, CA
- 23.06.2015 : Ward Wins Pole and Takes 4th in Red Bull GRC Debut at Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.06.2015 : Block Takes 2nd at Rd 3 of 2015 Red Bull GRC Season in Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 18.06.2015 : Podium Finish for Dempsey and Long at Le Mans | Auto Racing - Le Mans, France
- 15.06.2015 : TLD's Seely and Noren Earn Top-10 Finishes in Pennsylvania | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : Top-10 Results for TLD’s Nelson and McElrath at High Point National | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : TLD Bike Athletes Go Big at Rd 3 of MTB World Cup DH Series | DH MTB - Leogang, Austria
- 11.06.2015 : Price Sweeps to Fourth Finke Desert Race Win | Off-Road - Northern Territory, Australia