Ladies of Endurocross: Chantelle Bykerk
Endurocross - VurbOffroad Interview
The Women's class of the 2013 Endurocross season has been stacked; sometimes with over 22 entrants. But leading the pack is Canadian sweetheart Chantelle Bykerk- 2-time Canadian National Off-road Champion and X Games medalist. Bykerk came onto the scene in 2011 with boyfriend Bobby Prochnau, and podiumed her first Endurocross event. With support from FMF/RPM/KTM Racing Team Maxxis ever since, Bykerk is a leading lady and has nothing but the end goal in mind- the 2013 Endurocross Women's Championship.
You’re half way through your 2013 Endurocross season, and currently in the points lead! Summarize your season so far in three words.
Wow, three words about my season...exciting, shocking and motivating!
You took the win in both Ontario, and Denver. Tell me a little about those races and what it took to get that win?
Well at Ontario and Denver I had pretty good starts and rode well throughout the hole Main events. I had my mistakes, but kept moving to the front. I also made the switch to a four-stroke and that has been helping me with my speed and confidence.
After these two consecutive wins and a solid bike- what do you feel will be your biggest challenge to take the year-end Championship?
(Laughs) To stay up right at the next three round and be consistent!
Fair enough! Aside from Endurocross, what else do you compete in throughout the season?
I race the Canadian Off-Road Nationals, like GNCC, but our trails are really hard. I also race expert in the local race. Next year would like to race all nine rounds of Endurocross and hit some GNCC's.
How do you do at the Canadian Nationals?
I won in 2011, west and east, and last year I won both again. This year there were conflictions with one global X Games and one Endurocross, so I had to pick. I am the only Canadian woman to win it two years in a row. This year I got 3rd overall since I had to miss some for Endurocross. I won the two National races that I went to though, so I still feel if I could have made it to them I could have won it three years in a row. But I pick Endurocross!
That’s impressive! What do you do for training in between races?
Really, just ride my bike.
Going into this weekend in Everett, do you feel your ability to ride slick logs will give you an advantage over the competition?
I am not sure; everyone has really picked it up this year!
Who would you like to thank for supporting you this year?
KTM Canada, Troy Lee Designs Canada, Riders Edge Suspension, IDO, D.I.D chains, Dubya wheels, Mongoose, Rekluse, 100%, Dirt Tricks, Motorex oil, Fastway, GPR, FMF, RTR, RPM Racing, Maxxis.
- 17.10.2014 : Vinny Nuzzolilli AMA Pro Hillclimb Unlimited Champion | Pro Hillclimb - Oregonia, OH
- 13.10.2014 : Greg Hancock Is 2014 Speedway World Champion | Speedway - Torun, Poland
- 06.10.2014 : Jessy Nelson 3rd at Red Bull Straight Rhythm 2014 | Race Team - Pomona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Troy Lee Designs / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Signs Darryn Durham | Race Team - Corona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : 32 Riders to Compete in Red Bull Straight Rhythm at Fairplex on October 4 | Supercross - Pomona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Vildosola Racing Leads the SCORE International Championship | SCORE - Imperial Valley, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Darryn Durham - Back In Orange And Black | Race Team
- 01.10.2014 : Brandon Semenuk is the FMB Overall Champion | Freeride MTB - Virgin, UT
- 29.09.2014 : Willoughby and Pajon Victorious at Chula Vista BMX | BMX - Chula Vista, CA
- 12.09.2014 : Healing Hancock Fights Back | Speedway - Vojens, Denmark