Ken Block Takes 2nd at GRC Daytona and Moves Into 2nd In the Championship
Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
Friday afternoon’s two heats saw Block take 2nd place in his first heat and then a very commanding 1st place in his second heat. Based on his results on Friday, as well as how the rest of the field finished, Block set himself up well for Saturday morning’s semi-finals.
Saturday found Block starting P1 in the second semi-final. Unfortunately, coming around turn three while in first place, Block ended up getting spun out by fellow Ford driver, Nelson Piquet Jr., which sent him to the back of the field (Piquet Jr. was penalized a lap later with a stop-and-go penalty). This setback sent Block into the Last Chance Qualifier, which saw the H.H.I.C. put on a dominating performance to take first place—while completing the last two laps on only three wheels due to a flat tire on the right rear of the car and still managing to holding off the rest of the field—moving him into the third row of the final grid.
For the final, Block had a solid launch and by the end of turn three on the first lap, had fought through traffic and worked his way into 2nd overall. Through the course of 8 laps, Block opened up the gap between himself and the rest of the field, all while closing in on the 1st overall spot. Unfortunately for him, he ran out of laps before that could happen.
“I had a great race weekend out here in Daytona,” said Block. “Despite the heat and humidity, I really enjoyed myself. This was a tough race simply because of the temperatures, but it was definitely a rewarding finish. I was really upset about being spun out by Piquet [Nelson Piquet Jr.], in my semi, but fortunately I had an amazing LCQ, despite having to navigate a very sketchy 100+ mph turn on only three wheels! My plan for the final was simply to get a great launch and try to do something amazing, which I think I pulled off. If I’d only had another lap or two I think I could have overtaken Rhys [Millen] and won this thing. Either way, I’m stoked on the finish.”
The podium finish for Block makes this his third in a row for Global Rallycross races and his fourth out of five Rallycross starts (3rd in WorldRX Norway, 3rd in GRC New York, 1st in GRC Charlotte, 2nd in GRC Daytona).
Block’s next competitive event is in Loheác, France, for WorldRX France on September 7th.
- 02.03.2015 : Seely’s Stats - 10 Fast Facts from Atlanta 2 Supercross | AMA Supercross - Atlanta, GA
- 27.02.2015 : Sound Off: Jessy Nelson Interview | TLD Race Team - Art's Cyclery Interview
- 25.02.2015 : Logan Christian Lands Podium Finish In Chicago | Snocross - Chicago, IL
- 25.02.2015 : Toby Price Swaps Bike for Stadium Super Truck Debut | Super Trucks - Adelaide, Australia
- 25.02.2015 : Mears All Smiles After Successful Daytona Speedweeks | NASCAR - Daytona Beach, FL
- 24.02.2015 : Top-10 Finish for Kasey Kahne in 2015 Daytona 500 | NASCAR - Daytona, FL
- 24.02.2015 : California Dreamin' with Aaron Gwin | MTB - Pinkbike Interview
- 24.02.2015 : Willoughby and Post Victorious at 2015 Phoenix Winter Nationals | BMX - Phoenix, AZ
- 23.02.2015 : The Play-By-Play of Cole Seely’s Race Day in Atlanta | AMA Supercross - Atlanta, GA
- 13.02.2015 : Christian Brothers Racing Wins Soo I-500 and Podiums In New York | Snocross - Fertile, MN