Kasey Kahne Drives to Victory in New Hampshire
NASCAR - Loudon, NH
The best car was rolling toward victory until its driver and crew chief couldn't agree on how many tires to change.
Kasey Kahne capitalized on that confusion between Denny Hamlin behind the wheel and Darian Grubb in the pits to win his second Sprint Cup race of the year and make a leap toward one of the 12 spots in the Chase that will determine this year's NASCAR champion.
"For those guys to miscommunicate, that helped us a ton," Kahne said. "I'll take 'em any way we can."
Hamlin's Toyota led for 150 of the 300 laps of the Lenox Industrial Tools 301 at the one-mile New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Sunday. His communication wasn't quite as good.
Kahne, who finished second two weeks ago at Kentucky to Brad Keselowski, went ahead to stay during a restart on the 240th lap when Hamlin spent extra time in the pits as his crew changed all four tires.
Hamlin wanted only two new ones.
"Darian asked me how much of the tires I felt I'd used up. I felt like I had used up a substantial amount," he said. "[I said] give me tires and no adjustments. He thought I meant four tires. Nothing's a given. Even though it looked like we had one in the bag if we took two tires, you never know."
Kahne doesn't think he stole a victory.
"I wouldn't say 'stolen.' We ran in the top four the whole race," he said. "We were in pretty good shape, [but] if he was to keep the track position I never would have passed him."
Hamlin's longer pit stop left him all the way back in 13th place, but he kept passing cars until only Kahne remained in front. Then he simply ran out of miles and Kahne won by 2.738 seconds.
It was the 14th win of Kahne's career and first since May 27 at Charlotte. Clint Bowyer, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Keselowski rounded out the top five.
The victory enhanced Kahne's chances of qualifying for the Chase, the last 10 races of the season in which the top 10 drivers in the point standings win automatic berths. Two additional spots go to the drivers with the most wins who are ranked 11th to 20th in points.
Kahne went from 16th to 12th, and his two wins are more than anyone in the second group of 10.
"We've been pretty tough all year, but we just haven't finished 'em off a lot of the times," Kahne said. "From here on out, we need some more top 10s and top fives the rest of the way. It doesn't get us in the Chase yet, but it does help with a win today."
The turning point came when the third caution flag came out on the 234th lap because of oil dropped on the track by David Reutimann.
Hamlin went into the pit, telling Grubb over the radio that he wanted tires. Grubb, who first planned to change only two, interpreted that to mean four. As Hamlin went back on the track, Grubb told him, "My bad, bud."
After the race, Grubb took the blame: "That was 100% my fault."
And Hamlin knew how costly the mistake was.
"You try to be optimistic, but you pretty much know your chance of winning has been pretty much taken away if there are no cautions," he said. "Darian has won me a couple of races this year, more than he's taken away from me."
The win was the fifth of the year for Hendrick Motorsports in 19 races. Seven remain before the Chase begins at the Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill., on Sept. 16.
- 17.10.2014 : Vinny Nuzzolilli AMA Pro Hillclimb Unlimited Champion | Pro Hillclimb - Oregonia, OH
- 13.10.2014 : Greg Hancock Is 2014 Speedway World Champion | Speedway - Torun, Poland
- 06.10.2014 : Jessy Nelson 3rd at Red Bull Straight Rhythm 2014 | Race Team - Pomona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Troy Lee Designs / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Signs Darryn Durham | Race Team - Corona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : 32 Riders to Compete in Red Bull Straight Rhythm at Fairplex on October 4 | Supercross - Pomona, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Vildosola Racing Leads the SCORE International Championship | SCORE - Imperial Valley, CA
- 03.10.2014 : Darryn Durham - Back In Orange And Black | Race Team
- 01.10.2014 : Brandon Semenuk is the FMB Overall Champion | Freeride MTB - Virgin, UT
- 29.09.2014 : Willoughby and Pajon Victorious at Chula Vista BMX | BMX - Chula Vista, CA
- 12.09.2014 : Healing Hancock Fights Back | Speedway - Vojens, Denmark