Kahne Scores Fourth-Straight Top 10 in Martinsville
NASCAR - Ridgeway, VA
The No. 5 Chevrolet SS rolled off the grid fifth for Sunday’s Sprint Cup Series event and after just 10 laps, the caution came out and Kahne opted to pit for fuel and four tires. During this time, Kahne also informed Crew Chief Kenny Francis that he felt his car was hitting the curb during runs. The team restarted 27th on Lap 22 and rocketed into the top eight within 28 laps, proving the benefit of new tires at the .526-mile oval.
Kahne held steady in the top 10 with his Hendrick Motorsports teammates until Lap 151 when he reported a vibration to Francis.
“I got a pretty good vibration under throttle,” Kahne said over the radio. “It’s like my rear tires; they’re off-balanced or something.”
Kahne improved to seventh and Francis used Kahne’s feedback to improve the No. 5 Chevy by putting a right-rear rubber into the car while under caution.
The No. 5 team continued their march forward and claimed the No. 2 spot on Lap 379. Kahne chased leader and teammate, Jimmie Johnson, for roughly 70 laps until Jeff Gordon passed him for second. Within two circuits, the yellow flag waved for a spin on the track and Kahne made a stop in the pits for an adjustment, fuel and four tires. He lined up fourth for the restart with 42 laps remaining and found himself in that same position when the field reset on Lap 492. Kahne chased Gordon as the laps wound down at Martinsville and crossed the finish line in fourth.
With Kahne’s third top-five finish in four races, the No. 5 team moves up two spots in the championship points to fifth.
- 28.01.2015 : Brandon Semenuk Slopestyle/Freeride Athlete of the Year | MTB - Pinkbike Awards
- 28.01.2015 : Christian Brothers Racing Wins Gold at Winter X Games 2015 | Snowmobile Hillcross - Aspen, CO
- 28.01.2015 : Tye Simmonds Scores 1st Place Finish at Deep Well MX | Off-Road - Alice Springs, Australia
- 26.01.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Rider Cole Seely Grabs Season Best Finish in Fifth | AMA Supercross - Oakland, CA
- 26.01.2015 : Chip Ganassi Racing Wins Record Sixth Rolex 24 At Daytona | Rolex 24 Hours - Daytona Beach, FL
- 24.01.2015 : Nelson Passes a Dozen Riders En Route to a Top 10 Finish | AMA Supercross - Oakland, CA
- 23.01.2015 : Scott Pruett Aims for Record Sixth Win at Rolex 24 Endurance Race | TUDOR - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.01.2015 : Lusty Industries Athletes Long and Simmonds Take On Deep Well MX | Motocross - Alice Springs, Australia
- 22.01.2015 : ESM’s 2015 Worldwide Season Starts at Home & the Rolex 24 | WEC & TUDOR - Riviera Beach, FL
- 22.01.2015 : Team TLD's Ascent to the Top of American Motocross | Troy Lee Designs - Company History