Kahne Scores Fourth-Straight Top 10 in Martinsville
NASCAR - Ridgeway, VA
The No. 5 Chevrolet SS rolled off the grid fifth for Sunday’s Sprint Cup Series event and after just 10 laps, the caution came out and Kahne opted to pit for fuel and four tires. During this time, Kahne also informed Crew Chief Kenny Francis that he felt his car was hitting the curb during runs. The team restarted 27th on Lap 22 and rocketed into the top eight within 28 laps, proving the benefit of new tires at the .526-mile oval.
Kahne held steady in the top 10 with his Hendrick Motorsports teammates until Lap 151 when he reported a vibration to Francis.
“I got a pretty good vibration under throttle,” Kahne said over the radio. “It’s like my rear tires; they’re off-balanced or something.”
Kahne improved to seventh and Francis used Kahne’s feedback to improve the No. 5 Chevy by putting a right-rear rubber into the car while under caution.
The No. 5 team continued their march forward and claimed the No. 2 spot on Lap 379. Kahne chased leader and teammate, Jimmie Johnson, for roughly 70 laps until Jeff Gordon passed him for second. Within two circuits, the yellow flag waved for a spin on the track and Kahne made a stop in the pits for an adjustment, fuel and four tires. He lined up fourth for the restart with 42 laps remaining and found himself in that same position when the field reset on Lap 492. Kahne chased Gordon as the laps wound down at Martinsville and crossed the finish line in fourth.
With Kahne’s third top-five finish in four races, the No. 5 team moves up two spots in the championship points to fifth.
- 22.05.2015 : Fredrik Noren to Fill In for Injured Trey Canard | AMA Pro Motocross - Torrance, CA
- 21.05.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Announces New Distributor in Mexico | Playas De Tijuana, Mexico
- 21.05.2015 : Catching Up With Westen Wrozyna | Interview - Canada
- 19.05.2015 : Scott Dixon Earns Pole Position for 99th Indianapolis 500 | IndyCar - Indianapolis, IN
- 19.05.2015 : TLD’s Seely Walks Out of Hangtown with Eyes on Glen Helen | AMA Pro Motocross - Sacramento, CA
- 18.05.2015 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Riders Tackle Round 1 at Hangtown | AMA Pro Motocross - Sacramento, CA
- 13.05.2015 : Mitchell Oldenburg Gets a Shot With Troy Lee Designs | AMA Motocross - Corona, CA
- 12.05.2015 : Willoughby Steals UCI BMX Supercross World Cup Series Lead | BMX - Papendal, Netherlands
- 12.05.2015 : Patrick Butler Joins Lusty Industries Australian Downhill Team | Downhill MTB - NSW, Australia
- 08.05.2015 : Interview with SRAM | TLD Racing's Russell Finsterwald | Cross-Country MTB