Juan Pablo Montoya Just Misses Career Win in Richmond, Finishes 4th
NASCAR - Richmond, VA
A sure win -- which would have been his first on an oval track in NASCAR and given him a big boost toward the Chase for the Sprint Cup -- suddenly disappeared.
So what was he thinking at that moment?
"I said, 'Really? Really?' " Montoya said with a laugh.
Of course, there was nothing funny about finishing fourth when a win was so tantalizingly close.
"We had a great car. Same as last week (at Kansas), we had a great car....That is what we needed," said Montoya, who last won in 2010 at Watkins Glen's road course, a span of 94 races.
Montoya and Jamie McMurray, his Earnhardt Ganassi Racing teammate, ran in the top 10 for most of the night. McMurray finished a disappointing 26th after fading on the last restart, but Montoya managed to drive to fourth after pitting.
"We got that caution at the end and it was a no-brainer to take tires," Montoya said. "I think what hurt us is we restarted on the outside and when you restart on the outside and people got really bad tires, everything packs up."
Being on the outside, Montoya said, there was nowhere to jump. When eventual race winner Kevin Harvick went by him, Montoya tried to get to the bottom -- but Joey Logano was there, too.
At that point, Montoya said, "We've just got to get a (good) finish." "Remember, before this we had six really bad weeks," he said. "I'm just really proud of the guys."
- 09.12.2013 : KTM Re-Signs Chris Fillmore to Superbike Team | Superbike - Murrieta, CA
- 09.12.2013 : GT BMX Team Goes Big at Grand Nationals | BMX - Tulsa, OK
- 05.12.2013 : Red Bull Straight Rhythm to Debut on NBC | Supercross - Red Bull
- 05.12.2013 : Beyond the Bike: Micayla Gatto | Dirt Magazine Interview
- 05.12.2013 : Aim High Season Two Premieres Exclusively on Crackle | TV Guide Exclusive
- 04.12.2013 : #NotBad - Interview with Semenuk and Wittenburg | More Dirt Interview
- 02.12.2013 : Willoughby Wins Back-To-Back USA BMX Titles | BMX - Tulsa, OK
- 02.12.2013 : Christian Brothers Racing Scores 2 Wins at Snocross Opener | Snocross - Duluth, MN
- 02.12.2013 : Rider Check: Ronnie Stewart | Vital MX Interview
- 28.11.2013 : "Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le Mans" Marathon Thanksgiving Day on Velocity | Auto Racing - Velocity Network