Juan Pablo Montoya Just Misses Career Win in Richmond, Finishes 4th
NASCAR - Richmond, VA
A sure win -- which would have been his first on an oval track in NASCAR and given him a big boost toward the Chase for the Sprint Cup -- suddenly disappeared.
So what was he thinking at that moment?
"I said, 'Really? Really?' " Montoya said with a laugh.
Of course, there was nothing funny about finishing fourth when a win was so tantalizingly close.
"We had a great car. Same as last week (at Kansas), we had a great car....That is what we needed," said Montoya, who last won in 2010 at Watkins Glen's road course, a span of 94 races.
Montoya and Jamie McMurray, his Earnhardt Ganassi Racing teammate, ran in the top 10 for most of the night. McMurray finished a disappointing 26th after fading on the last restart, but Montoya managed to drive to fourth after pitting.
"We got that caution at the end and it was a no-brainer to take tires," Montoya said. "I think what hurt us is we restarted on the outside and when you restart on the outside and people got really bad tires, everything packs up."
Being on the outside, Montoya said, there was nowhere to jump. When eventual race winner Kevin Harvick went by him, Montoya tried to get to the bottom -- but Joey Logano was there, too.
At that point, Montoya said, "We've just got to get a (good) finish." "Remember, before this we had six really bad weeks," he said. "I'm just really proud of the guys."
- 18.12.2014 : Tis The Season With Colton Facciotti | Rider Support - Canada
- 17.12.2014 : TLD Canada Amateur Profile: Hayden Wolff | Rider Support - Prince George, BC, Canda
- 10.12.2014 : Privateer Profile: Ross Johnson | International - Canada
- 09.12.2014 : Scott Dixon Returns To TCGR for 2015 IndyCar Series | IndyCar Series
- 19.11.2014 : Interview: Troy Lee | Company
- 11.11.2014 : Redmond and Graffunder Take on Ukupacha in Ecuador | Enduro - Ukupacha, Ecuador
- 10.11.2014 : USA Got Hold of Junior Trophy Victory in Argentina | Off-Road - San Juan, Argentina
- 06.11.2014 : Mitchell DeJong Clinches 2014 GRC Lites Championship | Global Rallycross Lites - Las Vegas, NV
- 05.11.2014 : Behind The Scenes with Kiwi Indycar Champ Scott Dixon | IndyCar - New Zealand
- 04.11.2014 : Lusty Industries Opens In New Zealand | Newcastle, NSW Australia