Juan Pablo Montoya Just Misses Career Win in Richmond, Finishes 4th
NASCAR - Richmond, VA
A sure win -- which would have been his first on an oval track in NASCAR and given him a big boost toward the Chase for the Sprint Cup -- suddenly disappeared.
So what was he thinking at that moment?
"I said, 'Really? Really?' " Montoya said with a laugh.
Of course, there was nothing funny about finishing fourth when a win was so tantalizingly close.
"We had a great car. Same as last week (at Kansas), we had a great car....That is what we needed," said Montoya, who last won in 2010 at Watkins Glen's road course, a span of 94 races.
Montoya and Jamie McMurray, his Earnhardt Ganassi Racing teammate, ran in the top 10 for most of the night. McMurray finished a disappointing 26th after fading on the last restart, but Montoya managed to drive to fourth after pitting.
"We got that caution at the end and it was a no-brainer to take tires," Montoya said. "I think what hurt us is we restarted on the outside and when you restart on the outside and people got really bad tires, everything packs up."
Being on the outside, Montoya said, there was nowhere to jump. When eventual race winner Kevin Harvick went by him, Montoya tried to get to the bottom -- but Joey Logano was there, too.
At that point, Montoya said, "We've just got to get a (good) finish." "Remember, before this we had six really bad weeks," he said. "I'm just really proud of the guys."
- 18.04.2014 : Leduc Focused On Pro 4 Competition For Lake Elsinore | LOORRS - Lake Elsinore, CA
- 17.04.2014 : Race Rewind: Cole Seely Interview at Seattle SX 2014 | Supercross - MotoXAddicts Interview
- 17.04.2014 : TLD Now Offering FreeWheelin™ Bluetooth® Audio System for Bicycle Helmets | Company - Corona, CA
- 15.04.2014 : Patrick Long Finishes 5th at Long Beach 2014 | TUSCC - Long Beach, CA
- 15.04.2014 : Team Target Comes Up Just Short on the Streets of Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 15.04.2014 : Power and Montoya Both Finish In Top-5 at Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 14.04.2014 : Cole Seely Steals a Win in Seattle | Troy Lee Designs / Lucas Oil / Honda in Seattle
- 14.04.2014 : Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas Victorious at Long Beach | TUSCC - Long Beach, CA
- 14.04.2014 : TLD Athletes Have Exceptional Weekend in Multiple Disciplines and Events | Company - Corona, CA
- 14.04.2014 : Monday Conversation: Cole Seely After Seattle SX | Supercross - Racer X Interview