Juan Pablo Montoya Just Misses Career Win in Richmond, Finishes 4th
NASCAR - Richmond, VA
A sure win -- which would have been his first on an oval track in NASCAR and given him a big boost toward the Chase for the Sprint Cup -- suddenly disappeared.
So what was he thinking at that moment?
"I said, 'Really? Really?' " Montoya said with a laugh.
Of course, there was nothing funny about finishing fourth when a win was so tantalizingly close.
"We had a great car. Same as last week (at Kansas), we had a great car....That is what we needed," said Montoya, who last won in 2010 at Watkins Glen's road course, a span of 94 races.
Montoya and Jamie McMurray, his Earnhardt Ganassi Racing teammate, ran in the top 10 for most of the night. McMurray finished a disappointing 26th after fading on the last restart, but Montoya managed to drive to fourth after pitting.
"We got that caution at the end and it was a no-brainer to take tires," Montoya said. "I think what hurt us is we restarted on the outside and when you restart on the outside and people got really bad tires, everything packs up."
Being on the outside, Montoya said, there was nowhere to jump. When eventual race winner Kevin Harvick went by him, Montoya tried to get to the bottom -- but Joey Logano was there, too.
At that point, Montoya said, "We've just got to get a (good) finish." "Remember, before this we had six really bad weeks," he said. "I'm just really proud of the guys."
- 12.09.2014 : Healing Hancock Fights Back | Speedway - Vojens, Denmark
- 11.09.2014 : Juan Pablo Montoya Excited About 2015 IndyCar Potential | IndyCar
- 11.09.2014 : Catching Up With Nathan Bles 2014 | Motocross - Canada
- 10.09.2014 : Between The Motos: Tyler Keefe | Motocross/Supercross - Racer X Interview
- 09.09.2014 : Race Recap: Toby Price's 2014 Season | Off-Road - Australia
- 09.09.2014 : Women on Bikes Series - Leigh Donovan | MTB - Life on Two Wheels Interview
- 09.09.2014 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Signs Amateur Standout Sean Cantrell | Corona, CA
- 08.09.2014 : Red Bull District Ride: Victory of Brandon Semenuk | Freeride MTB - Nuremberg, Germany
- 08.09.2014 : Interview: Luca Cometti | MTB MAG Interview
- 05.09.2014 : Competition Eliminator: Johnny Greaves Delivers Big In 2014 | TORC - Crandon, WI