Johnny Lewis earns top ten finish at Springfield TT
AMA Flat Track - Springfield, IL
The Springfield round has long been on the AMA calendar which features a TT race inside the fairgrounds arena on Saturday, May 23. A TT includes both right and left-hand turns and jumps. This is where the pro racers on Grand National Singles Class machines do battle. The Singles are adapted from 450cc motocross bikes. Lewis' preferred mount is a 2009 Kawasaki KX450F with the new EFI.
Lewis started out the day qualifying in seventh position which was only four-tenths of a second from the leader's best lap. He went into the first heat race with a goal to transfer directly to the main. With a solid start, Lewis battled with some of the series top stars for ten laps to finish in fourth transferring directly to the main. Only 19 riders of the 48 qualified entries make it to the main event.
Heading into the main, Lewis was ready to battle on the tight Springfield track. The Troy Lee Designs-sponsored rider kicked it off with another solid start and battled in the top ten. His Scott Powersports-tuned KX450F proved worthy as it had plenty of power and traction after Mike Scott and crew spent many hours tuning it since Daytona. Combine this with a new DRD exhaust for additional ponies. At the end of the 25 laps, Lewis finished his best-ever 7th in an AMA Pro Flat Track event. He was the highest-placing rider on a 2009 KX450F with EFI. Later, Lewis moved up to sixth place after a technical issue with another rider.
"I am excited about my finish and to be running right up there with the lead pack," said Lewis who rides with number 21A. "We've all been off for a number of weeks. I am glad to have put the effort in training and doing some one-off events to keep improving. Mike Scott, my mechanic Tom and Doug Dubach are a major reason why I was able to break into the top ten. Looking forward to the next round and will work to keep moving up."
Lewis now sits eighth in points in the AMA Grand National Singles Championship.
You can check out Lewis during the AMA Pro Flat Track Championship when the Singles return to the famed Peoria TT in Illinois on Sunday, August 23. Meanwhile, he will be participating in other races this summer, some to be announced soon. To learn more about the series, visit www.amaproracing.com and be sure to read Lewis' blog at www.prolebrity.com.
About Johnny Lewis
Professional athlete Johnny Lewis of Coatesville, Penn. has competed in the AMA Pro Supermoto Championship for the past three years becoming the youngest racer to win in the Unlimited Class. In 2009, he is going back to his roots in dirt track racing to compete in the AMA Pro Flat Track Championship. Lewis' program is being made possible by Scott Powersports, Dubach Racing Development (DRD), AxiomTV, Troy Lee Designs, Alpinestars, Aria Helmets, Utopia Optics, Schaeffer's Harley-Davidson, Silkolene, Pit Posse, Outlaw Racing Products, Pro Moto Billet/Fastway, Loud Mouth MX, The Service Pavilion, and Motion Pro. To find out more, visit www.johnnylewis.org, or see his profile?and read his blog on pro athlete-celebrity web portal www.prolebrity.com.
Detroit, Michigan-based Moto Public Relations, LLC (MotoPR) brings best practice public relations and marketing to action sports to increase public interest and corporate support for athletes, teams, events, and other properties. Our integrated services include public relations programming, sponsorship acquisition and management, media relations, media training, promotion development, and event management. Visit us online at www.motopr.com.
- 22.04.2015 : Alise Post Grabs 2nd at Manchester BMX | BMX - Manchester, England
- 21.04.2015 : Scott Dixon wins Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 21.04.2015 : CGRT Claims SportsCar Showcase Runner-Up Finish in Long Beach | SportsCar - Long Beach, CA
- 21.04.2015 : Lusty / TLD / KTM Riders Excel In A Tough Hedley Round | Off-Road - Victoria, Australia
- 20.04.2015 : 'My Weekend Was…' With Cole Seely - Santa Clara SX Recap | AMA Supercross - Santa Clara, CA
- 20.04.2015 : The Play-By-Play of Shane McElrath’s Race Day in Santa Clara | AMA Supercross - Santa Clara, CA
- 16.04.2015 : Chip Ganassi Racing Report: Indy Grand Prix of Louisiana | IndyCar - Avondale, LA
- 15.04.2015 : Team Penske's Castroneves Podiums in Louisiana | IndyCar - Avondale, LA
- 14.04.2015 : Lusty Industries / KTM’s Gibbs Shows His Mettle To Extend Nationals Lead | Motocross - Sydney, Australia
- 14.04.2015 : Kasey Kahne Finishes 8th At Texas | NASCAR - Fort Worth, TX