Henry Wiles wins first night of Daytona Short Track
AMA Flat Track - Daytona Municipal Stadium
Pole winner Wiles got off to a fast start and, using the high cushion line, bolted away to a solid early lead. About halfway through the 25-lap final veteran racer Schnabel began chipping away at Wiles' lead staying low on the groove on his Memphis Shades Yamaha. That set up a great duel between the two leaders.
Schnabel actually took the lead briefly on the back straightaway with two laps to go, but Wiles held steady and moved back in front through turns three and four. On the final go around Schnabel made a last-ditch attempt to take the lead, but made a slip in turn three allowing Wiles to run home free to the checkered flag.
"When it's all said and done that's going to be one of my best career wins," said Wiles, whose win tonight marked his eighth-career AMA Grand National victory. I thought I had an easy one going there, but JR came up and made it tough." Schnabel didn't seem too disappointed with his runner-up finish.
"I made a race out of it anyway," he said. "I'll get another shot at it tomorrow night.
Joe Kopp finished third on a Honda after taking a provisional start, forcing him to start from the back of the field.
Thursday will see race two of the Daytona Short Track doubleheader.
- 06.03.2014 : Interview: Cole Seely - Replacement Killer | Supercross - TWMX Interview
- 05.03.2014 : Where Are They Now - Dave Cullinan | MTB - Interview
- 05.03.2014 : Troy Lee Designs' Malcolm Stewart to Race Daytona Supercross | Supercross - Corona, CA
- 04.03.2014 : Herfindahl and Joanis Win Pro Finals In Cross-Country and Snocross | Snocross - Warroad, MN
- 03.03.2014 : Honda Red Riders Crowd the Podium in Indianapolis | AMA Supercross - Indianapolis, IN
- 03.03.2014 : SCORE San Felipe 250 Victory Marks Historic Feat For Vildosola Racing | Off-Road - San Felipe, Mexico
- 28.02.2014 : SRAM Announces Formation of SRAM / Troy Lee Designs Mountain Bike Team | Chicago, IL
- 27.02.2014 : Interview: TLD Enduro Rider Bryan Regnier | MTB - France
- 27.02.2014 : Seely Joins Team Honda Muscle Milk in Indianapolis | Supercross - Torrance, CA
- 25.02.2014 : V12 Vineyards 2014 Spring Release Includes TLD Collaboration | Napa Valley, CA