Henry Wiles wins first night of Daytona Short Track
AMA Flat Track - Daytona Municipal Stadium
Pole winner Wiles got off to a fast start and, using the high cushion line, bolted away to a solid early lead. About halfway through the 25-lap final veteran racer Schnabel began chipping away at Wiles' lead staying low on the groove on his Memphis Shades Yamaha. That set up a great duel between the two leaders.
Schnabel actually took the lead briefly on the back straightaway with two laps to go, but Wiles held steady and moved back in front through turns three and four. On the final go around Schnabel made a last-ditch attempt to take the lead, but made a slip in turn three allowing Wiles to run home free to the checkered flag.
"When it's all said and done that's going to be one of my best career wins," said Wiles, whose win tonight marked his eighth-career AMA Grand National victory. I thought I had an easy one going there, but JR came up and made it tough." Schnabel didn't seem too disappointed with his runner-up finish.
"I made a race out of it anyway," he said. "I'll get another shot at it tomorrow night.
Joe Kopp finished third on a Honda after taking a provisional start, forcing him to start from the back of the field.
Thursday will see race two of the Daytona Short Track doubleheader.
- 28.08.2014 : Unsung Hero: Fredrik Noren on the 2014 MX Season | AMA Motocross - RacerX Interview
- 27.08.2014 : Micky Dymond to Race 2nd Annual AMA Sturgis Supermoto Race | Supermoto - Sturgis, SD
- 27.08.2014 : Colton Facciotti Discusses Utah And Latvia | Motocross - Canada
- 26.08.2014 : Ken Block Takes 2nd at GRC Daytona and Moves Into 2nd In the Championship | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 26.08.2014 : Chaz Mostert 'Rains' Supreme At Sydney Motorsport Park 400 | V8 Supercars - Sydney, Australia
- 26.08.2014 : Cole Seely Signs With American Honda | Supercross and Motocross - Torrance, CA
- 26.08.2014 : Dany Torres Takes 2nd In Red Bull X-Fighters Pretoria | FMX - Pretoria, South Africa
- 25.08.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Closes Outdoor Season in Utah | AMA Motocross - Tooele, UT
- 25.08.2014 : New Factory Honda Rider Cole Seely Signs Multi-Year Deal With TLD | AMA Motocross - Corona, CA
- 25.08.2014 : Dixon Claims Second Win of the Season at Sonoma | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA