Franchitti Sixth, No. 9 Team Encounters Mechanical Problems At Texas
IndyCar - Fort Worth, TX
1. (6) Helio Castroneves (No. 3 Chevrolet)
2. (3) Ryan Hunter-Reay (No. 1 Chevrolet)
3. (13) Tony Kanaan (No. 11 Chevrolet)
6. (4) Dario Franchitti (No. 10 Belkin Honda)
23. (11) Scott Dixon (No. 9 Target Honda)
Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) drivers Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon finished sixth and 23rd, respectively in Round 8 of the IZOD IndyCar Series in the Firestone at Texas Motor Speedway.
Franchitti started the race on the outside of the second row after qualifying the No. 10 Belkin Honda fourth. On lap 5 of 228 under caution, Franchitti in eighth held his ground up through lap 15. On lap 29, the No. 10 car ran 13th and Franchitti reported it was a little free-off halfway through the run. On lap 46, Franchitti made his way up to ninth and stayed out on course until he came in for his first stop on lap 53. On lap 64, the No. 10 car drove consistently through to lap 97 in 13th. On lap 114 under caution, Franchitti jumped to sixth, and on lap 142 while still under caution, the No. 10 car moved up to fourth. With 27 laps to go, Franchitti ran in seventh and was able to pass one car to finish sixth.
Dixon started on the inside of the sixth row after qualifying the No. 9 Target Honda 11th. On lap 5 of 228 under caution, Dixon made his way up to ninth. While running in ninth on lap 15, the No. 9 car had moved up to seventh by lap 29. On lap 46, Dixon was running in fifth and made his first pit stop of the day on lap 51. Upon returning to the track the No. 9 car slowed on course. Dixon reported the engine was running but the car had lost drive. On lap 63 under caution, the No. 9 car stopped on track and was towed back to pit lane. Dixon’s crew changed the gearbox and returned the No.9 car to the course. On lap 85, the No. 9 car headed to the garage for repairs and remained there until lap 142, when Dixon retired from the race, finishing 23rd.
With the results, Dixon is now seventh in the IZOD IndyCar Series point standings with 193 markers, -66 points behind leader Helio Castroneves. Franchitti is now up to 10th with 168 markers, -91 points back.
Honda is second in the manufacturer point standings with 57 points, trailing Chevrolet with 63.
Up next for Team Target is Round 9 of the IZOD IndyCar Series with the Milwaukee IndyFest from West Allis, Wis. on Saturday, June 15th (4:00pm ET, NBC Sports Network).
- With the sixth-place result, Franchitti entered the top-10 in IZOD IndyCar Series point standings for the first time this season
- Texas marked the first time both Target cars have been in the top-10 in points this season
“We just had way too much understeer in the Belkin car at the start of the race. It was probably the most I’ve ever had on an oval and that cost us some positions. As the run went on the car kind of came to us and each stop the guys made some great changes to the car. We got the car where it was good and, combined with the strategy, we got up to p6. The strategy was to run really long on the tires and at times it was pretty hard work. We just started too far off on the setup, but it was a lot better than last year’s car.”
"I think it was one of the main shafts from the gears that seemed to break coming out of the pits on that last stop for us. We found the problem and tried to fix it. The Target guys did a hell of a job on pit lane trying to figure it all out. The car was good though. We were maintaining good pace and I think by the time of the end of the race came along we would have been in a good position to contend.”
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include three cars in the IZOD IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. Overall his teams have 15 championships and over 150 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and five Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.
For more information log onto: www.chipganassiracing.com
- 25.07.2014 : Simply Perfect Pole Position for ESM on National Patrón Tequila Day | TUSC - Indianapolis, IN
- 25.07.2014 : Hancock's Stormer In Sweden | Speedway GP - Motala, Sweden
- 24.07.2014 : Johnny and CJ Greaves Pull Pro-2 / Pro-4 Sweep at Bark River | TORC - Bark River, MI
- 24.07.2014 : Ryan Maramont Confirms Break From Racing | MX Nationals - Australia
- 23.07.2014 : Kanaan Leads Team Target with Two Podiums in Toronto | IndyCar - Toronto, Canada
- 23.07.2014 : Sage Karam Added to Brickyard GP Lineup | GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series - Indianapolis, IN
- 22.07.2014 : Women's Mountain Biking in Mammoth with Leigh Donovan | MTB - Mammoth Lakes, CA
- 22.07.2014 : Fredrik Noren at Spring Creek MX 2014 | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 22.07.2014 : Toby Price On Top at Kyogle | Off-Road - Kyogle, Australia
- 22.07.2014 : Colton Facciotti at the Top of the Box at Sand Del Lee | Motocross - Richmond, ON, Canada