Franchitti Fourth, Dixon Fifth in Wine Country
Indycar Series - Sonoma, CA
Results (with starting pos.) from Sonoma
1. (1) Will Power, No. 12 Honda Dallara
2. (2) Helio Castroneves, No. 3 Honda Dallara
3. (3) Ryan Briscoe, No. 6 Honda Dallara
4. (4) Dario Franchitti, No. 10 Target Honda Dallara
5. (5) Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Honda Dallara
Franchitti Fourth, Dixon Fifth in Wine Country
Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) driver Dario Franchitti came home fourth in the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sunday afternoon. TCGR teammate Scott Dixon was able to hold on and finish fifth at Infineon Raceway in Round 14 of the IZOD IndyCar Series season.
Franchitti started the afternoon from fourth and kept the No. 10 Target Honda inside the top-four for much of the first run of the race. Following the first round of green flag pit stops on lap-27, Franchitti maintained his top-four position throughout the run and came in for his final pit stop under green with 25 laps-to-go. Following a restart with six laps-to-go, Franchitti held off Target teammate Dixon and remained in fourth. In the end, Franchitti brought the No.10 home fourth for his 11th top-five of the 2011 season.
Dixon started the race from fifth and ran inside the top-five throughout the first stint of the race. After the first round of green flag pit stops, Dixon maintained his top-five position and was able to keep pace with his Target teammate Franchitti. Following the second round of green flag stops, Dixon held onto his top-five spot and closed the gap on the four cars in front of him. Then, on a restart with six laps-to-go, Dixon fended off challenges from behind and drove the No.9 Target Honda Dallara to a fifth-place finish, giving him his ninth top-five of the year.
- This is Dixon’s ninth top-five and 10th top-10 in 2011.
- This is Dixon’s 87th top-five and 129th top-10 finish in Indy car racing.
- This is Franchitti’s 11th top-five and 12th top-10 of the 2011 IndyCar season.
- This is the seventh time in 2011 that Franchitti has started and finished a race inside the top-five.
- Franchitti now has 105 top-fives and 145 top-10s in his Indy car career.
Franchitti now has a 26-point lead over Power in the IZOD IndyCar Series standings with 475 points. Dixon remains third in the standings, 75 points behind Franchitti.
Up next for Team Target is Round 15 of the IZOD IndyCar Series in the streets of Baltimore for the Indy Grand Prix of Baltimore on Sunday, September 4th (2:00 p.m. ET, Versus).
“We just struggled today. I was thinking we would be better over a long distance but we just got worse, as compared to the Penske cars. It was a tough day, it wasn’t the best race as far as passing, but it was all action inside the car working the arms and elbows. Overall, it was a tough day for Team Target and congrats to the Penske boys.”
“Tough day for Team Target. The Penske guys were clearly better than we were and we have some work today before we head off to Baltimore and Japan. Today, I spent a lot of time reading ‘Penske Truck Rental’ off the rear wing of (Ryan) Briscoe’s car and just couldn’t get close enough to get by him.”
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams
Chip Ganassi created his own one-car IndyCar team in 1990 and established a partnership with sponsor, Target. Today, Chip Ganassi Racing Teams includes two entries in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, four in the IZOD IndyCar Series and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Cars Series. Overall his teams have 12 championships and 144 victories, including three Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and four Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.
- 28.08.2015 : Oriol Servia to Drive Justin Wilson's No. 25 Car in IndyCar Finale | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA
- 27.08.2015 : Alise Post 1st, Sam Willoughby 3rd at Sweden BMX | BMX - Angelholm, Sweden
- 26.08.2015 : Juan Montoya: Job To Do But With Sadness in Heart | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA
- 24.08.2015 : TLD’s Jessy Nelson Closes 2015 Championship With a Podium in Indiana | AMA Pro Motocross - Crawfordsville, IN
- 24.08.2015 : TLD's Aaron Gwin Clinches 2015 DH MTB World Cup Championship Title | MTB - Val di Sole, Italy
- 21.08.2015 : Semenuk Revels In The Glory Of 3rd Consecutive Red Bull Joyride Win | Freeride MTB - Whistler, Canada
- 20.08.2015 : Gibbs On Verge of Clinching National MX1 Crown | MX Nationals - Australia
- 19.08.2015 : Mountain Biker Brandon Semenuk’s unReal Video: Long Shot Pays Off | Freeride MTB
- 18.08.2015 : TLD’s Jessy Nelson Collects Eighth Top-10 Finish at Utah National | AMA Pro Motocross - Tooele, UT
- 18.08.2015 : TLD’s Noren Starts the Day Strong in Utah | AMA Pro Motocross - Tooele, UT