Franchitti earns 20th career open-wheel victory at Iowa
IndyCar Series - Newton, Iowa
Results from Iowa Speedway
1.) Dario Franchitti, No. 10 TomTom Honda Dallara
2.) Ryan Briscoe No. 6 Honda Dallara
3.) Hideki Mutoh, No. 27 Honda Dallara
4.) Dan Wheldon, No. 4 Honda Dallara
5.) Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Honda Dallara
Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Dario Franchitti scored his second win in as many races at Iowa Speedway Sunday in the Iowa Corn Indy 250, beating Ryan Briscoe to the line by 5.0132 seconds.
Franchitti's crew helped him get to the front, turning the trick on a quick pit stop on Lap 196 of 250 as the leaders cycled through green flag stops. Teammate Scott Dixon had contact Helio Castroneves early in the race, forcing both cars to pit for repairs. Dixon finished fifth.
With the results, Franchitti moves from third to second in IndyCar points with 238 (-3 from leader Briscoe), while Dixon slips from second to third in the standings with 226 (-15).
Dario Franchitti earns his 10th career IndyCar Series victory and his second victory of the season. He also won at Long Beach.
Overall, it was Franchitti's 20th career open wheel win (CART, IndyCar)
Franchitti has won both of his starts at Iowa Speedway. He also won the race in 2007.
This is the 28th IndyCar Series victory for Target Chip Ganassi Racing. This is the team's fourth win of the season.
Overall, it was Target Chip Ganassi Racing's 68th career open wheel win (CART, IndyCar)
Target Chip Ganassi Racing Quoteboard:
Dario Franchitti: "I like driving here. We tested at Iowa last Wednesday. The TomTom guys did a really, really good job coming up with a setup, and they were awesome in the pits. I just went out, did my job and hung on, made some good moves in traffic and here we are. More than anywhere, today is a team win because those pit stops moved us up in track position."
The 2009 IndyCar Series season continues June 27 with the SunTrust Indy Challenge at Richmond International Raceway. The race will be telecast live in High Definition at 8:00 p.m. (EDT) by VERSUS. The race will air live on the IMS Radio Network, XM channel 145 and Sirius channel 211. The radio broadcast also will be carried on www.indycar.com.
- 01.05.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Launches All New SE Air Racewear | Product - Corona, CA
- 30.04.2015 : 2015 Marks a Different King of Year for Long | World Endurance Championship
- 29.04.2015 : TLD’s Cole Seely Claims Fifth Podium of Rookie Season | AMA Supercross - East Rutherford, NJ
- 29.04.2015 : McElrath’s 450SX Debut Nearly Garners a Top-10 Finish | AMA Supercross - East Rutherford, NJ
- 22.04.2015 : Alise Post Grabs 2nd at Manchester BMX | BMX - Manchester, England
- 21.04.2015 : Scott Dixon wins Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 21.04.2015 : CGRT Claims SportsCar Showcase Runner-Up Finish in Long Beach | SportsCar - Long Beach, CA
- 21.04.2015 : Lusty / TLD / KTM Riders Excel In A Tough Hedley Round | Off-Road - Victoria, Australia
- 20.04.2015 : 'My Weekend Was…' With Cole Seely - Santa Clara SX Recap | AMA Supercross - Santa Clara, CA
- 20.04.2015 : The Play-By-Play of Shane McElrath’s Race Day in Santa Clara | AMA Supercross - Santa Clara, CA