Flying Lizard Returns to U.S. for ALMS Round Four
ALMS - Lakeville, CT
The Lizards are back in the U.S. for round four of the ALMS season, the 2012 Northeast Grand Prix, which gets the green flag this Saturday, July 7 at Lime Rock Park. The Lime Rock race follows closely on the heels of the 24 Heures du Mans, in which the Lizards finished fourth in GTE Am in the No. 79 Porsche (read the Le Mans race report). For this Saturday's race, the driver lineup will be Joerg Bergmeister and Patrick Long in the No. 45 Flying Lizard Porsche and Seth Neiman and Marco Holzer in the No. 44.
With seven races left on the ALMS schedule, the Lizards need a radical change of fortune after a tough season start that has put the team far down in the GT points standings (read the Sebring, Long Beach, and Laguna race reports).
Flying Lizard chief engineer Craig Watkins said, "Historically, we've had fast cars at Lime Rock: the No. 45 has finished on the podium every year since 2004 and won four of those races. It's a very short race weekend and we don't have much track time so we'll have to hustle to get to our race setup. We need to have a good race here in order to get back into the points chase; our top priority is to have mechanically solid and issue-free cars this weekend."
No. 44 engineer Steve Conover added, "Lime Rock is narrow and short, with a relatively low top speed; most of the circuit is actually a turn so there is a fair amount of lateral acceleration. We expect to see the Porsches perform well here in the high downforce configuration that we run. The 2012 aero package should also be a good fit for Lime Rock, although we haven't yet tested it here. Because of the short laps, the large number of turns, and the heat, tire management will also be a focus on Saturday."
Follow the Lizards
The Northeast Grand Prix will get the green flag at 3:05 pm ET Saturday July 7. The race will be broadcast live in ESPN3.com and in car footage will be available live on ALMS.com. ESPN2 will broadcast the race on Saturday from 4:00pm - 6:00pm ET. The race will be broadcast live in Europe on MotorsTV, in Latin America/Middle East on Fox and in Canada on Rogers Sports Net. Flying Lizard will broadcast the team radio live throughout the race; read the team race blog for frequent team updates at www.lizardms.com.
About Flying Lizard Motorsports
Flying Lizard returns to the American Le Mans Series for their ninth season and the fourth consecutive season for Bergmeister and Long together in the No. 45. The Lizards have won two ALMS GT team championships (2008 and 2009) and have finished in the top three each year since 2004. The team has secured three ALMS GT drivers' championships: Bergmeister and Long took the title together in 2009 and 2010 and Bergmeister with Wolf Henzler in 2008. Bergmeister is five-time ALMS GT drivers' champion (2005-2006 and 2008-2010) and Long has won the title three times (2005, and 2009-2010), all with Bergmeister. Bergmeister is the only driver in Grand-Am and ALMS history to win the championship in both series in the same year (2006).
Flying Lizard has also competed in the 24 Heures du Mans from 2005 through 2012, finishing third in 2005, fourth in 2006, sixth in 2008, sixth in 2011, and fourth in 2012.
The privateer team is based in Sonoma, California.
- 23.09.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Hosts Successful Wheels 4 Life Fundraiser | Company - Laguna Beach, CA
- 23.09.2015 : That Winning Feeling: Jessy Nelson Talks USGP Victory | Motocross - San Bernardino, CA
- 22.09.2015 : 250 Words: Troy’s Boys On Glen Helen USGP | Motocross - San Bernardino, CA
- 21.09.2015 : Gritty USGP Performance For Kirk Gibbs | Motocross - San Bernardino, CA
- 21.09.2015 : Troy Lee Designs on Top of the World at Glen Helen USGP | Motocross - San Bernardino, CA
- 18.09.2015 : Billy Laninovich - Molding Tomorrow’s Racers | Motocross - TWMX Interview
- 15.09.2015 : Daniel Sanders On Top of the World in ISDE E3 Division | Enduro - Kosice, Slovakia
- 14.09.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Launches All New Adventure Line For 2016 | Company - Corona, CA
- 11.09.2015 : Unsung Hero: Derek Schuster | Motocross - Canada
- 08.09.2015 : Count Me In - Jessy Nelson Talks MXGP Of USA | MXGP - Glen Helen, CA