Flying Lizard at Lime Rock for First of 5 East Coast Races
American LeMans Series
Flying Lizard heads east this week for the American Le Mans Series Northeast Grand Prix at Lime Rock Park on Saturday, July 24. At the midway point of the nine-race ALMS season, the Lizards hope to regain some ground lost at Miller Motorsports Park earlier this month (read race report). In the No. 45 Flying Lizard Porsche, Joerg Bergmeister and Patrick Long are now in second place in the GT championship and the team is in third. Teammates Darren Law and Seth Neiman will drive the No. 44 Flying Lizard Porsche at this weekend's 2 hour and 45 minute race.
Flying Lizard Chief Strategist Thomas Blam commented, "Lime Rock will be tough. The GT championship is very close right now: Risi Competizione, BWM Rahal/ Letterman, Corvette Racing and Flying Lizard are within a few points in driver and team standings. This weekend, in the GT field alone, there are at least 10 cars which could run up front; with 30 cars overall there will be a lot of traffic, and I expect, quite a few cautions."
Bergmeister and Long won at Lime Rock in 2009. (Bergmeister has won in GT four consecutive years at Lime Rock--2006 through 2009--three of those with Flying Lizard.) Blam continued, "Strategy at Lime Rock hinges on pit stops. It's possible to do a one-stop race here if there are a number of cautions.
Determining when to stop can be as important as what happens during the stop. Depending on the timing of the cautions, sacrificing a track position for an early pit stop could eventually work in your favor or it could also turn out to be disastrous. A podium spot may depend on the ability to make the right decision in the moment."
Chief Engineer Craig Watkins added, "We've had fast cars here the last few years but we won't be able to really see how things stack up until we get on track. It's a short race weekend with a limited amount of track time so we need to be very efficient getting quickly to our race setup. I think of Lime Rock a bit like a street course: it's narrow and short, with mostly right-handed turns. Top speed isn't sustained here the way it was at Miller. It's a high downforce track so getting to the correct tire compound choice and mix with the 2010 tires will be critical. And, for sure we'll also have weather to contend with, I expect we'll see rain at some point during the race weekend, especially in the afternoons."
Follow the Race
The race will get the green flag on Saturday July 24 at 2:05 pm ET. It will be broadcast live on SpeedTV and tape delayed on MotorsTV, Sunday, August 1, beginning at 17.00 GMT/18.00h CET Flying Lizard will broadcast their team radio live during the race: for more information, go to www.lizardms.com. Team gear will be available in the paddock at the race and online at www.lizardms.com/store.
About Flying Lizard Motorsports
Flying Lizard Motorsports competes in the American Le Mans Series GT class. The team has finished in the top three in the ALMS GT2 drivers' and team championships every year since 2004, their first year of professional competition. In 2009, the team swept all ALMS GT2 titles: Joerg Bergmeister and Patrick Long won the drivers' championship in the No. 45; Flying Lizard won the team championship; Porsche won the manufacturer championship; and the Flying Lizard No. 44 Porsche won the Michelin Green X Challenge championship (new for 2009). It is the team's second consecutive triple championship: in 2008 Joerg Bergmeister and Wolf Henzler won the ALMS GT2 drivers' title in the No. 45; Flying Lizard won the team championship; and Porsche won the manufacturers' title.
Flying Lizard has also competed in the 24 Heures du Mans from 2005 through 2010, finishing third in 2005, fourth in 2006, and sixth in 2008. The privateer team is based in Sonoma, California.
Flying Lizard is sponsored by ShoreTel, a leading provider of enterprise IP telephony solutions; Openwave Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: OPWV), a global software innovator delivering context-aware mediation and messaging solutions that enable communication service providers to create and deliver smarter services; eSilicon, a semiconductor company; and RedlineCoffee.com, a premium coffee company dedicated to motorsport enthusiasts. Team partners include Porsche and Michelin.
Visit the team website at www.lizardms.com.
- 29.06.2015 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Riders Endure Weather As Season Hits Halfway Point | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 29.06.2015 : TLD’s Noren Bounces Back For Solid Moto 2 Finish at Budds Creek | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 26.06.2015 : Scott Dixon Looks to Complete Career California Track Sweep | IndyCar - Fontana, CA
- 23.06.2015 : Ward Wins Pole and Takes 4th in Red Bull GRC Debut at Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.06.2015 : Block Takes 2nd at Rd 3 of 2015 Red Bull GRC Season in Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 18.06.2015 : Podium Finish for Dempsey and Long at Le Mans | Auto Racing - Le Mans, France
- 15.06.2015 : TLD's Seely and Noren Earn Top-10 Finishes in Pennsylvania | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : Top-10 Results for TLD’s Nelson and McElrath at High Point National | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : TLD Bike Athletes Go Big at Rd 3 of MTB World Cup DH Series | DH MTB - Leogang, Austria
- 11.06.2015 : Price Sweeps to Fourth Finke Desert Race Win | Off-Road - Northern Territory, Australia