Fillmore Earns Top Five Finish at Barber Motorsports Park
Superbike - Birmingham, AL
“I was really nervous going into this weekend’s race,” stated Fillmore. “I broke my hand here last year in the first few laps of practice so it is safe to say I had quite a bit of butterflies in my stomach heading into the practice sessions.” Fillmore did not need to worry as both he and his teammate, Taylor Knapp, turned qualifying times inside the top ten, finishing the sessions 7th and 10th respectively.
Hours later Knapp suffered a mechanical during the warm-up lap of the first race and had to go into the pits for repair. He eventually started the race but was in dead last position at the end of the first lap. Meanwhile, Fillmore was quick to move himself up front.
“I was able to make a couple passes on the first lap to move myself into 7th position,” remarked Fillmore. “After I secured 7th, I filed in behind Danny Eslick and was able to gain a position after he ran wide. From there, I trailed Larry Pegram and we played a game of cat and mouse through the checkered flag.”
It was Fillmore who would be credited with the 5th place position after Pegram was docked 5 seconds for jumping the start. Joining his teammate with an impressive ride was Knapp, who was able to come back from dead last to 13th by the race end despite his mechanical issue suffered on the warm-up lap.
On Sunday, both Fillmore and Knapp jumped off the line to mid-pack starts. The two quickly charged hard to move into the top ten. Fillmore mentioned, “The majority of the race was about a 5-man battle for 7th position. I was fortunate enough to make a great pass on Geoff May with a few laps remaining that pushed me ahead of him and allowed me to pull a small gap as we crossed the checkers. My team has been working really hard this year and it is great to finally get two good results for them.” Knapp also walked away with his season best finish, earning 9th overall during Sunday’s race.
Next Event: July 12-14, 2013 – Mid Ohio Sports Car Complex
- 28.08.2014 : Unsung Hero: Fredrik Noren on the 2014 MX Season | AMA Motocross - RacerX Interview
- 27.08.2014 : Micky Dymond to Race 2nd Annual AMA Sturgis Supermoto Race | Supermoto - Sturgis, SD
- 27.08.2014 : Colton Facciotti Discusses Utah And Latvia | Motocross - Canada
- 26.08.2014 : Ken Block Takes 2nd at GRC Daytona and Moves Into 2nd In the Championship | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 26.08.2014 : Chaz Mostert 'Rains' Supreme At Sydney Motorsport Park 400 | V8 Supercars - Sydney, Australia
- 26.08.2014 : Cole Seely Signs With American Honda | Supercross and Motocross - Torrance, CA
- 26.08.2014 : Dany Torres Takes 2nd In Red Bull X-Fighters Pretoria | FMX - Pretoria, South Africa
- 25.08.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Closes Outdoor Season in Utah | AMA Motocross - Tooele, UT
- 25.08.2014 : New Factory Honda Rider Cole Seely Signs Multi-Year Deal With TLD | AMA Motocross - Corona, CA
- 25.08.2014 : Dixon Claims Second Win of the Season at Sonoma | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA