Fillmore Earns Top Five Finish at Barber Motorsports Park
Superbike - Birmingham, AL
“I was really nervous going into this weekend’s race,” stated Fillmore. “I broke my hand here last year in the first few laps of practice so it is safe to say I had quite a bit of butterflies in my stomach heading into the practice sessions.” Fillmore did not need to worry as both he and his teammate, Taylor Knapp, turned qualifying times inside the top ten, finishing the sessions 7th and 10th respectively.
Hours later Knapp suffered a mechanical during the warm-up lap of the first race and had to go into the pits for repair. He eventually started the race but was in dead last position at the end of the first lap. Meanwhile, Fillmore was quick to move himself up front.
“I was able to make a couple passes on the first lap to move myself into 7th position,” remarked Fillmore. “After I secured 7th, I filed in behind Danny Eslick and was able to gain a position after he ran wide. From there, I trailed Larry Pegram and we played a game of cat and mouse through the checkered flag.”
It was Fillmore who would be credited with the 5th place position after Pegram was docked 5 seconds for jumping the start. Joining his teammate with an impressive ride was Knapp, who was able to come back from dead last to 13th by the race end despite his mechanical issue suffered on the warm-up lap.
On Sunday, both Fillmore and Knapp jumped off the line to mid-pack starts. The two quickly charged hard to move into the top ten. Fillmore mentioned, “The majority of the race was about a 5-man battle for 7th position. I was fortunate enough to make a great pass on Geoff May with a few laps remaining that pushed me ahead of him and allowed me to pull a small gap as we crossed the checkers. My team has been working really hard this year and it is great to finally get two good results for them.” Knapp also walked away with his season best finish, earning 9th overall during Sunday’s race.
Next Event: July 12-14, 2013 – Mid Ohio Sports Car Complex
- 22.08.2014 : Northern Notes: Canada Wins - Facciotti Goes to Utah | Motocross - Ontario, Canada
- 22.08.2014 : Cam Zink's Backflip Sets Guinness World Record | MTB Freeride - Mammoth Lakes, CA
- 21.08.2014 : Where Are They Now - Cam Zink | MTB Freeride - Mammoth Lakes, CA
- 21.08.2014 : Colton Facciotti To Fill-In For TLD / Lucas Oil / MAVTV / Honda's Malcolm Stewart | AMA Motocross - Corona, CA
- 20.08.2014 : Will Power Dominates at The Milwaukee Mile 2014 | IndyCar - Milwaukee, WI
- 20.08.2014 : Raceline Pirelli Suzuki Back on Track for Gladstone | Motocross - Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
- 20.08.2014 : Rain Check: Jessy Nelson Grabs His First Moto Win | AMA Motocross - Crawfordsville, IN
- 19.08.2014 : Team Target Claims Two Top-Five Finishes at Milwaukee 2014 | IndyCar - Milwaukee, WI
- 19.08.2014 : Semenuk Becomes Most Decorated Athlete in Crankworx Slopestyle History | Freeride MTB - Whistler, Canada
- 18.08.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Score First National Motocross Win in Indiana Mud | AMA Motocross - Crawfordsville, IN