Extreme Speed Motorsports Looks for Repeat in Virginia
ALMS - Danville, VA
One year ago at the inaugural American Le Mans Series (ALMS) presented by Tequila Patrón race at Virginia International Raceway, Johannes van Overbeek earned his and Extreme Speed Motorsports' (ESM) first pole in ALMS GT competition.
In the last two rounds of competition this season, van Overbeek achieved back-to-back podium finishes with co-driver Ed Brown.
As a team, ESM is on a quest for its first P2 pole and another 1-2 class finish. It looks to accomplish that feat at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) at the Oak Tree Grand Prix, the ninth round of ALMS competition.
During the June break this year, ESM tested the P2 racing machines at VIR. The 3.27-mile, 17-turn track with high-speed straights, challenging turns and 130 feet of elevation changes should prove to be an exciting race.
Now in its second year on the ALMS calendar, the race has been shortened to a two-hour and 45-minute sprint compared to last year's four-hour event.
Last year, Scott Sharp and then co-driver van Overbeek started from the front of the GT class and earned a third-place finish. Now in the P2 class, ESM driver/owner Sharp and Anthony Lazzaro, aboard the No. 01 Tequila Patrón Honda Performance Development (HPD) ARX-03b, look to repeat and improve upon that finish from last season.
Sharp has finished on the podium in all but two races this season. His last podium was at Baltimore, where he and Lazzaro finished second.
The No. 02 Tequila Patrón Honda Performance Development (HPD) ARX-03b team has been on a steady streak recently. Van Overbeek and Brown qualified second and finished third in the last two races, in addition to both drivers leading laps at the inaugural ALMS race at Circuit of The Americas less than two weeks ago.
The two-hour, 45-minute American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón race at Virginia International Raceway is the ninth round of the 10-race ALMS championship and takes place on Saturday.
Qualifying for P2 cars is scheduled for 4:50 p.m. on Friday.
Live coverage of qualifying begins at 3:35 p.m. on Friday on ESPN3.
The race will be streamed live starting at 2 p.m. on Saturday on ESPN3. The race will be televised at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday on ESPN2.
- 16.11.2015 : Bud-Racing’s Lillie SX Race Report | Moto - Lillie, France
- 06.11.2015 : Shane McElrath Injured in Practice | Moto - Corona, CA
- 17.10.2015 : TLD Athletes on top at RedBull Rampage | Bike - Virgin, UT
- 23.09.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Hosts Successful Wheels 4 Life Fundraiser | Company - Laguna Beach, CA
- 23.09.2015 : That Winning Feeling: Jessy Nelson Talks USGP Victory | Motocross - San Bernardino, CA
- 22.09.2015 : 250 Words: Troy’s Boys On Glen Helen USGP | Motocross - San Bernardino, CA
- 21.09.2015 : Gritty USGP Performance For Kirk Gibbs | Motocross - San Bernardino, CA
- 21.09.2015 : Troy Lee Designs on Top of the World at Glen Helen USGP | Motocross - San Bernardino, CA
- 18.09.2015 : Billy Laninovich - Molding Tomorrow’s Racers | Motocross - TWMX Interview
- 15.09.2015 : Daniel Sanders On Top of the World in ISDE E3 Division | Enduro - Kosice, Slovakia