Dixon Sixth, Franchitti Eighth at Milwaukee IndyFest
IndyCar - West Allis, WI
1. (4) Ryan Hunger-Reay (No. 1 Chevrolet)
2. (17) Helio Castroneves (No. 3 Chevrolet)
3. (3) Will Power (No. 12 Chevrolet)
6. (11) Scott Dixon (No. 9 Target Honda)
8. (23) Dario Franchitti (No. 10 Huggies Honda)
Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) drivers Scott Dixon andDario Franchitti finished sixth and eighth, respectively in Round 9 of the IZOD IndyCar Series in the Milwaukee IndyFest at the Milwaukee Mile.
Dixon started the race on the inside of the sixth row after qualifying the No. 9 Target Honda 11th on the 1-mile oval. On lap 17 of 250, Dixon held his ground in 11th through a lap 20 caution. On lap 24, the No. 9 car stayed out on the track while the top 14 cars pitted. On lap 28, Dixon made his way up to ninth but lost ground and dropped back to 15th behind the drivers who had fresh tires. On lap 70, the No. 9 car pit for the first time. On lap 104 under caution, Dixon managed to jump to eighth and by lap 140 had passed one more car to seventh. With 37 laps to go, the No. 9 car made its last scheduled stop from fifth. Dixon fought until the checkered flag and finished sixth as the top Honda-powered car.
Franchitti started the race on the inside of the 12th row after qualifying the No. 10 Huggies Honda 17th, but started 23rd due to a grid spot penalty for an engine change. On lap 17 of 250, Franchitti passed two cars and made his way up to 21st. On lap 24, the No. 10 car pit for the first time while the top 14 cars stayed out on the track. During a lap 28 caution Franchitti ran 18th and held his position for more than 20 laps. On lap 57, the No. 10 car was able to pass three more cars to 15th. On lap 140 Franchitti jumped to 12th and with 35 laps to go the No. 10 car left pit lane for a final time to finish the race in eighth.
With the results, Dixon is now fifth in the IZOD IndyCar Series point standings with 221 markers, -78 points behind leader Helio Castroneves. Franchitti holds on to 10th with 192 markers, -107 points back.
Honda is second in the manufacturer point standings with 63 points, trailing Chevrolet with 72.
Up next for Team Target is Round 10 of the IZOD IndyCar Series with the Iowa Corn Indy 250 from Newton, Iowa on Sunday, June 23rd (2:30pm ET, ABC).
- Dixon was the highest finishing Honda in the race
- Dixon moved from seventh up to fifth in the IZOD IndyCar Series point standings
“I think we went down a road earlier in the year and now we’re just trying to regroup and find our way. Maybe we’re lacking confidence in our changes with the car but we’ll work hard and get better. We had a good day but went back and forth on some things. We had understeer in the middle of the corner and the car snapped coming off. We had a bit better car then we showed. I got ran wide on the restart by Kanaan and didn’t quite agree with it but then again what can you do.”
“Obviously we didn’t have a great qualifying effort and then we took the engine change penalty before the race. We started in the back, made some good progress, but it was difficult to pass. The guys made good calls to keep me in the hunt but keeping the car pointed straight was a challenge. To pass people was very tough. The cars are so close, so the series might be a victim of their own success right now. We need to start allowing something to differentiate when guys get it right and wrong. Great to be here as always at the Mile. Great crowd and great event.”
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include three cars in the IZOD IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. Overall his teams have 15 championships and over 150 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and five Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.
For more information log onto: www.chipganassiracing.com
- 18.12.2014 : Tis The Season With Colton Facciotti | Rider Support - Canada
- 17.12.2014 : TLD Canada Amateur Profile: Hayden Wolff | Rider Support - Prince George, BC, Canda
- 10.12.2014 : Privateer Profile: Ross Johnson | International - Canada
- 09.12.2014 : Scott Dixon Returns To TCGR for 2015 IndyCar Series | IndyCar Series
- 19.11.2014 : Interview: Troy Lee | Company
- 11.11.2014 : Redmond and Graffunder Take on Ukupacha in Ecuador | Enduro - Ukupacha, Ecuador
- 10.11.2014 : USA Got Hold of Junior Trophy Victory in Argentina | Off-Road - San Juan, Argentina
- 06.11.2014 : Mitchell DeJong Clinches 2014 GRC Lites Championship | Global Rallycross Lites - Las Vegas, NV
- 05.11.2014 : Behind The Scenes with Kiwi Indycar Champ Scott Dixon | IndyCar - New Zealand
- 04.11.2014 : Lusty Industries Opens In New Zealand | Newcastle, NSW Australia