Dixon Podiums, No. 10 Team Encounters Mechanical Problems At Barber
IndyCar - Birmingham, AL
1. (1) Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 1 Chevrolet
2. (4) Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Honda
3. (6) Helio Castroneves, No. 3 Chevrolet
25. (17) Dario Franchitti, No. 10 Banana Boat Honda
Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) drivers Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti finished second and 25th, respectively, in Round 2 of the IZOD IndyCar Series at Barber Motorsports Park. The 90-lap event was slowed by just a single caution period in the opening stages of the race (laps 2-5).
After making his first appearance of the season in the Firestone Fast 6 qualifying round on Saturday, Dixon managed to stay in the top 10 in the opening laps after the No. 12 car forced him to check up to avoid an accident. The No. 9 Target team made three stops throughout the day and charged up to second place in the final stint. Dixon dueled with the eventual race-winning No. 1 car, but took home second place, which marked the team’s first podium result of the 2013 season.
Franchitti and the Banana Boat team weren’t as fortunate at the 2.3-mile road course, starting 17th and finishing 25th after a header problem just before the half-way point caused electrical issues, which eventually took out the clutch and ended their day. The team made up ground in the opening laps going from 17th to 12th in the opening stint, and pit early to go off strategy on Lap 19. Lap 43 would be the last lap turned for the No. 10 team as they went back to the Target garage for repairs.
With the results, Dixon moves up from fifth to second in the IZOD IndyCar Series point standings with 70 markers, while Franchitti stands 26th with 10 markers.
Honda is second in the manufacturer point standings with 12 points, trailing Chevrolet with 18.
Up next for Team Target is Round 3 of the IZOD IndyCar Series with the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on Sunday, April 21, 2012 (4:00 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network).
- The race marked Dixon’s fourth-straight second-place finish in four events at Barber Motorsports Park
- The No. 10 team brought the car behind the wall but did not return to the track after the header issue on the engine
“We had a header that broke and that ended up burning through the clutch line, and we lost that as well. The guys were trying really hard to fix that and change the header and that was the end of our day unfortunately. The team made a really great effort but it was a real shame to have that happen when we were running up in fifth at the time. We were a good bit quicker that the No. 12 car who was in front of us (and saving fuel), so it was disappointing that we went out when we did. The positive is that I’d rather have a day like this as opposed to St. Petersburg where we were just slow and I made a mistake. Today the car was good and we had a good race going before that happened.”
“We had a great car but this is getting a little old – four straight second-place finishes at Barber Motorsports Park! But seriously we had good pace today but just couldn’t get up to Hunter-Reay in the end. We moved up to second in the championship standings so great day for the Target team.”
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include three cars in the IZOD IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. Overall his teams have 15 championships and over 150 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and five Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.
For more information log onto: www.chipganassiracing.com
- 06.03.2015 : Logan Christian Lands Podium Finish At Michigan | Snocross - Mt. Pleasant, MI
- 02.03.2015 : Seely’s Stats - 10 Fast Facts from Atlanta 2 Supercross | AMA Supercross - Atlanta, GA
- 27.02.2015 : Sound Off: Jessy Nelson Interview | TLD Race Team - Art's Cyclery Interview
- 25.02.2015 : Logan Christian Lands Podium Finish In Chicago | Snocross - Chicago, IL
- 25.02.2015 : Toby Price Swaps Bike for Stadium Super Truck Debut | Super Trucks - Adelaide, Australia
- 25.02.2015 : Mears All Smiles After Successful Daytona Speedweeks | NASCAR - Daytona Beach, FL
- 24.02.2015 : Top-10 Finish for Kasey Kahne in 2015 Daytona 500 | NASCAR - Daytona, FL
- 24.02.2015 : California Dreamin' with Aaron Gwin | MTB - Pinkbike Interview
- 24.02.2015 : Willoughby and Post Victorious at 2015 Phoenix Winter Nationals | BMX - Phoenix, AZ
- 23.02.2015 : The Play-By-Play of Cole Seely’s Race Day in Atlanta | AMA Supercross - Atlanta, GA