Dixon Leads Team Target with Podium Finish at Barber Motorsports Park
IndyCar - Birmingham, AL
1. (17) No. 20 Hunter-Reay, Honda
2. (14) No. 12 Andretti, Honda
3. (5) No. 9 Target Chevrolet (Dixon)
9. (23) No. 10 GE Reveal Chevrolet (Kanaan)
Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) drivers Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan finished third and ninth, respectively, at Barber Motorsports Park in the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama for the Verizon IndyCar Series.
Dixon started a very wet race on rain tires and picked up a position at the drop of the green flag from his fifth-place starting position. A competitor jumped around him on the restart after an early caution, placing him back into fifth. He continued strong for nearly 20 laps on the 2.38-mile track, pitting with the rest of the field when the next caution came out on lap 21 of 69 to take four alternate tires and fuel. He exited the pits in fourth place and held position until the leaders pitted, leading lap 50 before coming in himself on lap 51. Team Target completed their second pit stop, and Dixon exited the pits just behind the leaders. He fought off the field for the next 15 laps until the final caution on lap 66. The race clock expired and the race finished under yellow. Dixon claimed his fifth-consecutive podium at Barber Motorsports Park, finishing in third place.
Kanaan drove the No. 10 GE Reveal Chevrolet past five competitors in the first lap of the race, moving from 23rd to 18th place. He exited the pits after the second caution in 11th place, switching to alternate tires. By lap 37, the No. 10 was up to ninth place, and hit a race-high fourth when the leaders pitted on lap 50. After pitting on lap 51, Kanaan held off Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Charlie Kimball and Ryan Briscoe until a wreck brought out a caution with five minutes left in the race that continued through to the end. The No. 10 finished inside the top-10 in ninth place.
With the results, Dixon is fourth in the Verizon IndyCar Series point standings with 87 points, while Kanaan stands ninth with 62 points.
Notes of Interest:
· Dixon turned the fastest lap of the race with a 1:09.299
· Dixon has finished on the podium in each of the five races held at Barber (second-second-second-second-third)
· Kanaan made up 13 positions to finish in the top 10 (ninth)
Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Chevrolet:
“Overall it was a good day for the Target team. We wanted to take one more step up on the podium to first after finishing second here so many times, but we ended up going in reverse this time unfortunately. We’ll take third but the tough conditions were the same for everyone with the wet start and a timed race. We seemed to burn up the front tires quick, but we had some great pit stops and overall a solid day.” Tony Kanaan, No. 10 GE Reveal Chevrolet:
“It was a good day for us. I mean we passed half of the field on a track that people say you can’t pass on. We’ll take a top-10 finish, especially after the weekend we’ve had with qualifying in the back. It was a great day for the GE Reveal team. We had some great pit stops and we’ll just continue to go forward from here.”
Up next for Target Chip Ganassi Racing is the Inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Saturday, May 10 (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC).
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include four cars in the Verizon IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Prototype in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Overall his teams have 17 championships and 160 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400, five Rolex 24 At Daytonas and the 12 Hours of Sebring. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn. For more information log onto: www.chipganassiracing.com
- 29.07.2015 : TLD / KTM's Toby Price Takes 5th AORC Crown of His Career | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 27.07.2015 : Team TLD Riders All Score Top-10 Finishes at Washougal | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Makes It Three Weekends In A Row With Career-Best Finish | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : Interview: Brandon Semenuk and Rupert Walker - Revel In The Chaos | Freeride MTB - Pinkbike Interview
- 24.07.2015 : TLD's Toby Price Could Wrap Up Fifth AORC Crown This Weekend | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 24.07.2015 : Sage Karam Earns First-Career Podium At Iowa 2015 | IndyCar - Newton, IA
- 23.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Backs Up Career Best Result With Seventh Overall | AMA Pro Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : TLD’s McElrath Breaks Into Top-10 With Impressive Moto 2 Ride | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : KTM Strong Man Kirk Gibbs Braves The Pain At Shepparton | Motocross - Victoria, Australia
- 10.07.2015 : TLD/KTM’s Toby Price Picked Up By Red Bull Factory Rally Team | World Motorcycle Rally Championships