Dixon and Kanaan Finish 5th and 6th at Texas Motor Speedway
IndyCar - Fort Worth, TX
1. (5) No. 20 Carpenter, Chevrolet
2. (1) No. 12 Power, Chevrolet
3. (4) No 2 Montoya, Chevrolet
5. (7) No. 9 Target Chevrolet (Dixon)
6. (3) No. 10 Suave For Men Chevrolet (Kanaan)
Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) drivers Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan finished fifth and sixth, respectively, at Texas Motor Speedway in the Firestone 600 for the Verizon IndyCar Series.
Dixon started the race on the inside of the fourth row in seventh place. The No. 25 car caught fire on lap six of 248, drawing the first caution of the race, by which time Dixon had moved up to fifth place. When the green flag waved on lap 11, he continued to close in on the leaders, making his way into third place by lap 23. He maintained his position through pit stops on laps 55 and 95, moving up another spot to second by the second caution of the race on lap 119. Dixon took his third pit stop under caution on lap 127, restarting in third on lap 134. He dropped a few spots through his fourth stop on lap 167, but gained them back by his last stop on lap 211, exiting in fifth place. The final caution of the race was drawn on lap 240 when the No. 14 car caught fire. With two laps to go on the restart, Dixon was caught up in traffic and was unable to gain any more ground on the leaders, finishing in fifth.
Kanaan started on the inside of row two in third place, quickly moving up to second place within the very first lap. He held the second spot for the next 52 laps until he pitted on lap 54. As the race continued, he found even more speed, gaining a full third of a second on the leader every lap. Kanaan made his second pit stop on lap 100, where he found out he had an issue with his pit lane speed limiter. The problem was corrected by swapping out the No. 10 car’s steering wheel on lap 127 when Kanaan pitted from fifth place under yellow. By lap 179, Kanaan was back up to third place, making his final stop on lap 206 and returning to second place by lap 218. During the final restart of the race on lap 246, he was caught in traffic as well and finished the race in sixth place.
With the results, Dixon is eighth in the Verizon IndyCar Series point standings with 214 points, while Kanaan is in ninth with 189 points.
Notes of Interest:
- Kanaan set the fastest lap of the race at 214.824 mph (24.3827 seconds) on lap 138.
Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Chevrolet:
"It's good to get some points here in the Target car at Texas. We hadn't been strong the last two races here so it was a relief to finish I guess. Not the result we wanted but we'll take it and go on to the next race in Houston."
Tony Kanaan, No. 10 Suave For Men Chevrolet:
"We had a good car I think and were able to challenge for the lead early on. The Suave For Men team did a great job tonight. We ran strong but that's not enough for this team. We had to change the steering wheel near the end but made that time back up on track. The racing was exciting tonight and we are definitely improving."
Up next for Target Chip Ganassi Racing is the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston Race 1 on the Streets of Houston on Saturday, June 28 (3:00 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network).
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include four cars in the Verizon IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Prototype in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Overall his teams have 17 championships and over 160 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400, five Rolex 24 At Daytonas and the 12 Hours of Sebring. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Pa. For more information log onto www.chipganassiracing.com.
- 25.03.2015 : Post Claims 5th Straight Elite Women's U.S. National Champion Title | BMX - Rock Hill, SC
- 25.03.2015 : Christian Brothers Racing Wraps Up 2014-2015 Season At Lake Geneva Snocross | Snocross - Lake Geneva, WI
- 24.03.2015 : TLD’s Seely Makes It Back-To-Back Podium Finishes in Detroit | AMA Supercross - Detroit, MI
- 20.03.2015 : Top 5 for Vildosola Racing in the Polaris RZR Mint 400 | Mint 400 - Las Vegas, NV
- 18.03.2015 : Transworld Motocross Race Series Profile: Max Lee | Motocross - Riverside, CA
- 17.03.2015 : Lusty Industries KTM Team Riders Top 5 at Melbourne Enduro-X | Australian Enduro-X - Melbourne, Australia
- 16.03.2015 : TLD’s Seely Returns to the Podium in Indianapolis | AMA Supercross - Indianapolis, IN
- 16.03.2015 : Toby Price Finishes Second In Melbourne Enduro-X | Australian Enduro-X - Melbourne, Australia
- 16.03.2015 : Top 5 For The 5: Kasey Kahne Finishes 4th At Phoenix | NASCAR - Phoenix, AZ
- 16.03.2015 : Insight: Cole Seely After Indy SX 2015 | AMA Supercross - Indianapolis, IN