Deja Vu for Ambrose at Kansas One
NASCAR - Kansas City, KS
The day looked a lot better earlier for Ambrose after starting 15th for the 267-lap race. The team jumped up to 12th on the start before running 16th in the opening 50 laps. The team, like others, used a two-tire pit strategy to gain track position early in the race. The pit stops, combined with a fast car, put Ambrose seventh on the restart on Lap 78.
At this point, Ambrose really showed how strong the Stanley Ford team was. Surviving two quick cautions and three and four-wide restarts, Ambrose raced as high as fifth and never out of the top-11 from laps 80 to 150. The team then ran the fuel tank dry, and Ambrose dove down pit lane for his first four-tire pit stop of the day. The team also made a chassis adjustment to tighten his car up.
Ambrose came out of the pits and still raced in the top-10. He stayed in the position until Lap 175 when the caution came out. The team came down pit road for left-side tires only and came out looking to close the final laps in the top-five. On the restart, however, the back of the No. 9 slipped around, and Ambrose was then hit by another car in the left-front. The accident forced Ambrose to come down pit road with a flat tire and damage to repair.
The Stanley crew did just that and kept Ambrose on the lead lap. But, the car just wasn’t the same after and didn’t have the speed to stay in the top-10. Instead, Blickensderfer used a two-tire stop during a caution on Lap 219 to get Ambrose back to 12th. Stating that his car was a “five out of five” loose, Ambrose did everything he could to keep the car straight.
He finished the day in 20th-place and now moves to 19th in the championship standings. He is less than 50 points out of 10th-place and a Chase position with some of his best events still to come.
“I’m just disappointed today,” said Ambrose after the event. “We had such a good Stanley Ford, and were running around the top-10 all day, but when the sun came out, it changed. I didn’t expect it, and not sure, but it spun out off of Turn Two and we got some damage. We were able to stay on the lead lap, but that’s not the finish we wanted after running well.”
See photos of Ambrose at Kansas One on his Facebook.
Marcos and the No. 9 DeWALT team will head to Richmond International Raceway on Saturday, April 27. The race will be televised live on FOX at 7:30 p.m. ET.
- 29.07.2015 : TLD / KTM's Toby Price Takes 5th AORC Crown of His Career | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 27.07.2015 : Team TLD Riders All Score Top-10 Finishes at Washougal | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Makes It Three Weekends In A Row With Career-Best Finish | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : Interview: Brandon Semenuk and Rupert Walker - Revel In The Chaos | Freeride MTB - Pinkbike Interview
- 24.07.2015 : TLD's Toby Price Could Wrap Up Fifth AORC Crown This Weekend | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 24.07.2015 : Sage Karam Earns First-Career Podium At Iowa 2015 | IndyCar - Newton, IA
- 23.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Backs Up Career Best Result With Seventh Overall | AMA Pro Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : TLD’s McElrath Breaks Into Top-10 With Impressive Moto 2 Ride | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : KTM Strong Man Kirk Gibbs Braves The Pain At Shepparton | Motocross - Victoria, Australia
- 10.07.2015 : TLD/KTM’s Toby Price Picked Up By Red Bull Factory Rally Team | World Motorcycle Rally Championships