Davis Silver, Parsons Bronze in Snowmobile Speed & Style at Winter X Games
Winter X Games - Aspen, CO
Two top spots in Snowmobile Speed & Style at X Games Aspen 2013 went to Monster Energy athletes today. Cory Davis took the silver and Joe Parsons backed him up and took the bronze in a day that saw heated battles and close calls on Buttermilk Mountain in Aspen, CO.
Snowmobile Speed & Style combines the best of both worlds as scores are determined by combining timed-laps around the course (speed) with judged-trick scores (style). Competitors go head to head in bracket-style elimination rounds, with the top-scoring rider advancing.
The most intense action of Snowmobile Speed & Style came in the earlier rounds. After Davis battled with his Monster Energy teammate Heath Frisby in the quarters, a tough semifinal match up saw Davis against Parsons, with the two rubbing shoulders throughout a very tight race. It was a dead heat until Parsons came into a corner too hot, high-sided it, and slide off the course, allowing Davis to cruise to the win. Davis went on to take the silver after pulling a no-handed backflip and a huge whip in the finals.
“This was by far the most eventful Speed & Style I’ve ever had,” said Davis after taking the silver. “I knew I was going to be out tricked so I had to play to my speed strength. I’m pretty happy with it…I one upped my past performances.”
Parson’s bronze medal match was also tight, with two restarts after both racers missed the first jump after some contact and even locking skis, sending them into the crowd. This brought more focus to Parsons—his backflip variations (including his signature “gator wrestler”) and fast time gave him an 88.33 and the bronze.
Parsons said, “In the second round me and Cory (Davis) had to race each other. We trained all year together and we’re good friends, so we knew one of us would be going to the bronze match and one would be going for the gold. Either way we were just happy we both had a chance to get a medal.”
It’s the second medal of the weekend for Parsons—on Thursday night he bagged another silver in Snowmobile Freestyle in a hotly contested final. Parsons has earned an incredible 11 medals in Winter X competition.
Check out http://www.monsterenergy.com and http://facebook.com/monsterenergy for more on Davis, Parsons, and the rest of the Monster Energy team as they compete in X Games Aspen 2013. The site’s loaded with exclusive behind the scenes photos and videos straight from Aspen.
- 28.01.2015 : Brandon Semenuk Slopestyle/Freeride Athlete of the Year | MTB - Pinkbike Awards
- 28.01.2015 : Christian Brothers Racing Wins Gold at Winter X Games 2015 | Snowmobile Hillcross - Aspen, CO
- 28.01.2015 : Tye Simmonds Scores 1st Place Finish at Deep Well MX | Off-Road - Alice Springs, Australia
- 26.01.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Rider Cole Seely Grabs Season Best Finish in Fifth | AMA Supercross - Oakland, CA
- 26.01.2015 : Chip Ganassi Racing Wins Record Sixth Rolex 24 At Daytona | Rolex 24 Hours - Daytona Beach, FL
- 24.01.2015 : Nelson Passes a Dozen Riders En Route to a Top 10 Finish | AMA Supercross - Oakland, CA
- 23.01.2015 : Scott Pruett Aims for Record Sixth Win at Rolex 24 Endurance Race | TUDOR - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.01.2015 : Lusty Industries Athletes Long and Simmonds Take On Deep Well MX | Motocross - Alice Springs, Australia
- 22.01.2015 : ESM’s 2015 Worldwide Season Starts at Home & the Rolex 24 | WEC & TUDOR - Riviera Beach, FL
- 22.01.2015 : Team TLD's Ascent to the Top of American Motocross | Troy Lee Designs - Company History