Davis Silver, Parsons Bronze in Snowmobile Speed & Style at Winter X Games
Winter X Games - Aspen, CO
Two top spots in Snowmobile Speed & Style at X Games Aspen 2013 went to Monster Energy athletes today. Cory Davis took the silver and Joe Parsons backed him up and took the bronze in a day that saw heated battles and close calls on Buttermilk Mountain in Aspen, CO.
Snowmobile Speed & Style combines the best of both worlds as scores are determined by combining timed-laps around the course (speed) with judged-trick scores (style). Competitors go head to head in bracket-style elimination rounds, with the top-scoring rider advancing.
The most intense action of Snowmobile Speed & Style came in the earlier rounds. After Davis battled with his Monster Energy teammate Heath Frisby in the quarters, a tough semifinal match up saw Davis against Parsons, with the two rubbing shoulders throughout a very tight race. It was a dead heat until Parsons came into a corner too hot, high-sided it, and slide off the course, allowing Davis to cruise to the win. Davis went on to take the silver after pulling a no-handed backflip and a huge whip in the finals.
“This was by far the most eventful Speed & Style I’ve ever had,” said Davis after taking the silver. “I knew I was going to be out tricked so I had to play to my speed strength. I’m pretty happy with it…I one upped my past performances.”
Parson’s bronze medal match was also tight, with two restarts after both racers missed the first jump after some contact and even locking skis, sending them into the crowd. This brought more focus to Parsons—his backflip variations (including his signature “gator wrestler”) and fast time gave him an 88.33 and the bronze.
Parsons said, “In the second round me and Cory (Davis) had to race each other. We trained all year together and we’re good friends, so we knew one of us would be going to the bronze match and one would be going for the gold. Either way we were just happy we both had a chance to get a medal.”
It’s the second medal of the weekend for Parsons—on Thursday night he bagged another silver in Snowmobile Freestyle in a hotly contested final. Parsons has earned an incredible 11 medals in Winter X competition.
Check out http://www.monsterenergy.com and http://facebook.com/monsterenergy for more on Davis, Parsons, and the rest of the Monster Energy team as they compete in X Games Aspen 2013. The site’s loaded with exclusive behind the scenes photos and videos straight from Aspen.
- 28.08.2015 : Oriol Servia to Drive Justin Wilson's No. 25 Car in IndyCar Finale | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA
- 27.08.2015 : Alise Post 1st, Sam Willoughby 3rd at Sweden BMX | BMX - Angelholm, Sweden
- 26.08.2015 : Juan Montoya: Job To Do But With Sadness in Heart | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA
- 24.08.2015 : TLD’s Jessy Nelson Closes 2015 Championship With a Podium in Indiana | AMA Pro Motocross - Crawfordsville, IN
- 24.08.2015 : TLD's Aaron Gwin Clinches 2015 DH MTB World Cup Championship Title | MTB - Val di Sole, Italy
- 21.08.2015 : Semenuk Revels In The Glory Of 3rd Consecutive Red Bull Joyride Win | Freeride MTB - Whistler, Canada
- 20.08.2015 : Gibbs On Verge of Clinching National MX1 Crown | MX Nationals - Australia
- 19.08.2015 : Mountain Biker Brandon Semenuk’s unReal Video: Long Shot Pays Off | Freeride MTB
- 18.08.2015 : TLD’s Jessy Nelson Collects Eighth Top-10 Finish at Utah National | AMA Pro Motocross - Tooele, UT
- 18.08.2015 : TLD’s Noren Starts the Day Strong in Utah | AMA Pro Motocross - Tooele, UT