Dany Torres Takes 2nd Place at X Fighters Madrid
FMX - Madrid, Spain
New Zealand’s Levi Sherwood won an epic battle against both Dany Torres and a pulsating crowd of 20,000 frenzied Spaniards at the Madrid stop of the Red Bull X-Fighters $1 million World Tour on Friday. It was another magic evening under the stars at the world’s most exciting freestyle motocross event with another Spaniard, Maikel Melero, getting the first podium of his career with third place.
“It was pretty intense,” said Sherwood, who also won the season opener in Dubai and moved ahead of American Todd Potter into first place overall after four of six events in 2012. “It was really tough going against Dany and his home crowd.” Sherwood also just narrowly beat Melero, who was wearing a Spanish national soccer team jersey and gave the ecstatic crowd the ride of his life. Thomas Pages of France got fourth after dazzling the crowd with sets of body varials and Special Flips, a courageous performance duly honored with standing ovations by the world's most knowledgeable FMX crowd.
Defending champion Torres, who had struggled earlier this season due in part to a series of injuries, delivered an inspired performance before falling just one helmet, or one of five categories, short in the final. Sherwood now leads the championship with 230 points with Chile’s Javier Villegas in second at 150 points, and Potter, who had to pull out of Madrid with injuries suffered in a heavy crash in training on Friday, is third with 145 points.
The world’s best FMX series moves on to Germany for the next stop on Aug. 11 in Munich’s Olympic stadium.
Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour Madrid Results 2012:
1. Levi Sherwood (NZL)
2. Dany Torres (ESP)
3. Maikel Melero (ESP)
4. Thomas Pages (FRA)
5. Takayuki Higashino (JPN)
6. Eigo Sato (JPN)
7. Javier Villegas (CHL)
8. Blake Williams (AUS)
9. Mat Rebeaud (SUI)
10. Wes Agee (USA)
Red Bull X-Fighters Overall Standings 2012:
1. Levi Sherwood, 230
2. Javier Villegas 150
3. Todd Potter (USA) 145
4. Thomas Pages (135)
5. Rob Adelberg (AUS) 115
- 28.08.2015 : Oriol Servia to Drive Justin Wilson's No. 25 Car in IndyCar Finale | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA
- 27.08.2015 : Alise Post 1st, Sam Willoughby 3rd at Sweden BMX | BMX - Angelholm, Sweden
- 26.08.2015 : Juan Montoya: Job To Do But With Sadness in Heart | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA
- 24.08.2015 : TLD’s Jessy Nelson Closes 2015 Championship With a Podium in Indiana | AMA Pro Motocross - Crawfordsville, IN
- 24.08.2015 : TLD's Aaron Gwin Clinches 2015 DH MTB World Cup Championship Title | MTB - Val di Sole, Italy
- 21.08.2015 : Semenuk Revels In The Glory Of 3rd Consecutive Red Bull Joyride Win | Freeride MTB - Whistler, Canada
- 20.08.2015 : Gibbs On Verge of Clinching National MX1 Crown | MX Nationals - Australia
- 19.08.2015 : Mountain Biker Brandon Semenuk’s unReal Video: Long Shot Pays Off | Freeride MTB
- 18.08.2015 : TLD’s Jessy Nelson Collects Eighth Top-10 Finish at Utah National | AMA Pro Motocross - Tooele, UT
- 18.08.2015 : TLD’s Noren Starts the Day Strong in Utah | AMA Pro Motocross - Tooele, UT