Dany Torres Claims Maiden NIGHT of the JUMPs Victory in Munich
FMX - Munich, Germany
Qualification was dominated by Spanish torero, Dany Torres, who stamped his authority on the proceedings with a Lazyflip, Paris Hilton and an Oxecutioner somersault.
Flying not far behind was David Rinaldo. Joining them in the final were Libor Podmol, Brice Izzo, Jose Miralles and Maikel Melero. Berliner Kai Haase narrowly missed out this time as seventh best rider, but when P7 is your best NIGHT of the JUMPs result to date, that is also something to celebrate. He was followed by Russian rider Koleshnikov in eighth. NIGHT of the JUMPs veteran Chris Brock (GB) was drafted in as a late replacement. After a seven year absence from the scene, he was well satisfied with a top-ten placing in his comeback.
But the Englishman had even more cause for celebration with victory in the ROCKWELL Time Best Whip, in which he saw off the challenge from eight other riders. The MAXXIS Race & Style contest was won by Brice Izzo. Other highlights of the night were the Megaramp mountain bikers, and Australian FMX superwoman, Emma McFerran, who wowed the crowd with the first ever motorcycle backflip attempted by a female rider in Munich.
The excitement in the Olympic Hall built up to fever pitch for the final.
The three Spaniards, two Frenchmen and one Czech were driven on to heightened levels of performance by the frenetic atmosphere. Unfortunately for Melero, his double-up didn’t quite come off, and he finished back in sixth. Miralles laid on his best run of the season to earn himself a respectable fifth place. Brice Izzo pulled a Tsunami Flip to take fourth. Libor Podmol saved his pièce de résistance – an Underflip Indy – for the last jump and timed it to perfection. Although it was good enough for a podium, it still fell short of what Rinaldo and Torres would now serve up. Both executed a Double Seatgrab Backflip. Rinaldo came up with triple combos and various landing and take-off tricks. The Spaniard responded with Lazyflip, Oxecutioner, Paris Hilton and Barhop to Indy Superflip. In the end, Dany Torres finished one point ahead of Rinaldo and was delighted with his maiden NOTJ victory.
David Rinaldo continues to lead the overall standings of the Freestyle MX European Championship with a score of 58 points. In second place is Brize Izzo with 48, closely followed Libor Podmol with 46. The decisive round of the FMX European Championship takes place on the weekend of 24th/25th May in the context of NIGHT of the JUMPS in Hamburg.
Munich-based fans already have a date for their diary, with NIGHT of the JUMPS returning to the Bavarian capital on April 26th, 2014.
A message from Dany Torres:
This past weekend I participated in the Night Of The Jumps in Munich, the third stop of the Freestyle European Championship, where I got a fantastic victory.
I really don't have an option for the European title as I didn’t participate in the first two stops because I was competing in Red Bull X-Fighters. However, this victory was very positive and motivating for me because it was the kind of course we find in IFMXF World Championship stops. I'm adapting little by little to this kind of course, and this result confirms that my adaptation process is going pretty well.
Now we move on to May, a month full of many important events. The coming week we will travel to the United States to compete in the third stop of the Red Bull X-Fighters Series at Glen Helen. After that I will be at X-Games Barcelona and we will finish the month in Hamburg to take part in another stop of the Night Of The Jumps.
But before all this, I have one of the most important, if not the most important, events of my life this weekend. I’m getting married to my girlfriend Angela and we are super excited!
Thanks a lot for your support and see you soon,
- 26.01.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Rider Cole Seely Grabs Season Best Finish in Fifth | AMA Supercross - Oakland, CA
- 26.01.2015 : Chip Ganassi Racing Wins Record Sixth Rolex 24 At Daytona | Rolex 24 Hours - Daytona Beach, FL
- 24.01.2015 : Nelson Passes a Dozen Riders En Route to a Top 10 Finish | AMA Supercross - Oakland, CA
- 23.01.2015 : Scott Pruett Aims for Record Sixth Win at Rolex 24 Endurance Race | TUDOR - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.01.2015 : Lusty Industries Athletes Long and Simmonds Take On Deep Well MX | Motocross - Alice Springs, Australia
- 22.01.2015 : ESM’s 2015 Worldwide Season Starts at Home & the Rolex 24 | WEC & TUDOR - Riviera Beach, FL
- 22.01.2015 : Team TLD's Ascent to the Top of American Motocross | Troy Lee Designs - Company History
- 20.01.2015 : MXP Chatter: Kyle Keast | Motocross - Canada
- 20.01.2015 : American Champion Jared Mees Wins 2015 Troy Bayliss Classic | Flat Track - Taree, Australia
- 20.01.2015 : CBR's Zach Herfindahl Wins At Grafton | Snocross - Grafton, ND