Danica Drives to Career-Best Indianapolis Finish of Third
93rd Indianapolis 500
Boost Mobile/Motorola driver Danica Patrick drove to a career-best Indianapolis finish of third in the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday.
Helio Castroneves took the win, after starting from the pole position.
Patrick, who started 10th, eclipsed her previous best of fourth-place, which she recorded during her breakout 2005 rookie season. She remains the highest-finishing woman in the history of the Indianapolis 500.
Andretti Green has now placed at least one car in the top three of every Indianapolis 500 in which it has competed, dating back to the team's inaugural season in 2003.
Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Dario Franchitti started on the front row in his return to Indianapolis, led 50 laps and finished seventh in Sunday's "500." Defending pole sitter and race winner Scott Dixon started fifth and led a race-high 73 of 200 laps to finished sixth.
Both Target cars proved strong throughout the race, running as high and first and second as the No.9 and 10 teams traded the race lead. The turning point of the race for both teams came on pit lane when, with 66 laps left, the No.10 team had a miscue that cost them track position. The No. 9 team encountered similar problems with 36 laps left, which took the team out of contention for the lead.
With the results, Dixon remains fourth in IndyCar points with 111, while Franchitti jumps from third to first in the IndyCar Series point standings with 122.
Paul Tracy, who had not competed at Indianapolis since 2002, started 13th and was determined to be there at the end. Tracy was battling understeer, but managed to keep his car inside the top 10, and went on to finish 9th.
Click here for complete results >
The 2009 IndyCar Series season continues May 31 with the ABC Supply/A.J. Foyt 225 at The Milwaukee Mile. The race will be telecast live in High Definition at 3:30 p.m. (EDT) by ABC. The race will air live on the IMS Radio Network, XM channel 145 and Sirius channel 211. The radio broadcast also will be carried on www.indycar.com.
- 28.08.2015 : Oriol Servia to Drive Justin Wilson's No. 25 Car in IndyCar Finale | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA
- 27.08.2015 : Alise Post 1st, Sam Willoughby 3rd at Sweden BMX | BMX - Angelholm, Sweden
- 26.08.2015 : Juan Montoya: Job To Do But With Sadness in Heart | IndyCar - Sonoma, CA
- 24.08.2015 : TLD’s Jessy Nelson Closes 2015 Championship With a Podium in Indiana | AMA Pro Motocross - Crawfordsville, IN
- 24.08.2015 : TLD's Aaron Gwin Clinches 2015 DH MTB World Cup Championship Title | MTB - Val di Sole, Italy
- 21.08.2015 : Semenuk Revels In The Glory Of 3rd Consecutive Red Bull Joyride Win | Freeride MTB - Whistler, Canada
- 20.08.2015 : Gibbs On Verge of Clinching National MX1 Crown | MX Nationals - Australia
- 19.08.2015 : Mountain Biker Brandon Semenuk’s unReal Video: Long Shot Pays Off | Freeride MTB
- 18.08.2015 : TLD’s Jessy Nelson Collects Eighth Top-10 Finish at Utah National | AMA Pro Motocross - Tooele, UT
- 18.08.2015 : TLD’s Noren Starts the Day Strong in Utah | AMA Pro Motocross - Tooele, UT