Danica Drives to Career-Best Indianapolis Finish of Third
93rd Indianapolis 500
Boost Mobile/Motorola driver Danica Patrick drove to a career-best Indianapolis finish of third in the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday.
Helio Castroneves took the win, after starting from the pole position.
Patrick, who started 10th, eclipsed her previous best of fourth-place, which she recorded during her breakout 2005 rookie season. She remains the highest-finishing woman in the history of the Indianapolis 500.
Andretti Green has now placed at least one car in the top three of every Indianapolis 500 in which it has competed, dating back to the team's inaugural season in 2003.
Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Dario Franchitti started on the front row in his return to Indianapolis, led 50 laps and finished seventh in Sunday's "500." Defending pole sitter and race winner Scott Dixon started fifth and led a race-high 73 of 200 laps to finished sixth.
Both Target cars proved strong throughout the race, running as high and first and second as the No.9 and 10 teams traded the race lead. The turning point of the race for both teams came on pit lane when, with 66 laps left, the No.10 team had a miscue that cost them track position. The No. 9 team encountered similar problems with 36 laps left, which took the team out of contention for the lead.
With the results, Dixon remains fourth in IndyCar points with 111, while Franchitti jumps from third to first in the IndyCar Series point standings with 122.
Paul Tracy, who had not competed at Indianapolis since 2002, started 13th and was determined to be there at the end. Tracy was battling understeer, but managed to keep his car inside the top 10, and went on to finish 9th.
Click here for complete results >
The 2009 IndyCar Series season continues May 31 with the ABC Supply/A.J. Foyt 225 at The Milwaukee Mile. The race will be telecast live in High Definition at 3:30 p.m. (EDT) by ABC. The race will air live on the IMS Radio Network, XM channel 145 and Sirius channel 211. The radio broadcast also will be carried on www.indycar.com.
- 30.07.2014 : Chris Holder Ready To Race Bydgoszcz | Speedway - Bydgoszcz, Poland
- 29.07.2014 : Ken Block Dominates Global Rallycross Charlotte | Rallycross - Charlotte, NC
- 29.07.2014 : Sam Willoughby Wins 2014 BMX World Cup Championships | BMX - Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 29.07.2014 : Toby Price On Top As Tri-Series Continues | Off Road - Carnarvon, Australia
- 28.07.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Top Ten In Washington | AMA Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 28.07.2014 : Brendan Fairclough Succeeds in Lenzerheide | DH MTB - Lenzerheide, Switzerland
- 28.07.2014 : Honda Muscle Milk Top Ten at Washougal | AMA Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 25.07.2014 : Simply Perfect Pole Position for ESM on National Patrón Tequila Day | TUSC - Indianapolis, IN
- 25.07.2014 : Hancock's Stormer In Sweden | Speedway GP - Motala, Sweden
- 24.07.2014 : Johnny and CJ Greaves Pull Pro-2 / Pro-4 Sweep at Bark River | TORC - Bark River, MI