Climbing the Ranks: Hannah Hodges
Motocross may be a male dominated sport, but that doesn't mean that girls can't or don't keep up with them. Hannah Hodges is a stand out rider, she dominates the Girl's class, has impressive laptimes racing against the guys in the Supermini and 85 Stock & Mod motos, and is making a name for herself in the Women's class.
Hodges isn't stopping there, she has her sights set on taking first in the Women's class and consistently making the top 10 against the guys - something she can achieve with her speed and skills. Hodges walked away from the March nationals with a couple of championships and some close finishes, check out how she stacked up during the first motos of the year.
Girls 2 (12-16) 1st
Supermini 1 19th
Women (14+) 2nd
Schoolgirl (12-16) Mod 2nd
Supermini 1 9th
Supermini 2 14th
Women (14+) 2nd
Supermini 2 20th
Girls 2 1st
I recently caught up with Hodges to get her take on being one of the fastest girls in motocross and to see what it's like racing against the guys.
You took a couple of championships in the spring nationals, including the girls 12-16 at both Millcreek and Freestone, how does it feel?
It feels really good, I have been working really hard! I finished 2nd in the Women’s class, so I definitely have more work to do.
You've been dominating the girls class and have had some impressive times against the guys. What are some of your goals racing against those dudes?
To get good starts and to run with the top guys. My goal at the nationals is to top 10.
What is the competition like out there? Is there anyone you see as your main competitor?
Everyone is riding really well… I like to stay focused on myself and the things that I can control.
What was your most memorable moment from the spring nationals this year?
I have a few memorable moments, but the one that means the most was being the first to bring a title to our team's new sponsors MAVTV and Lucas Oil. I am appreciative of all of my sponsors: MAVTV, Lucas Oil, Farren Racing, PR2 Suspension and Motors, Troy Lee Designs, Dunlop, Smith, FMF, Alpinestar, MTF, Impulse Graphix, Beach Blvd Motorsports and RADMX.
Who do you look up to in racing?
Ryan Villopoto – he works hard, stays focused and shows up prepared to do his job!
What do you hope to accomplish this year?
Improving my finishes in the guy’s classes.
What is your training like?
I have been training at MTF. They have everything I need to help me reach my goals. I am blessed to be training there and could not ask for better program!
What would you say to anyone who says girls can't be as fast as the guys?
I never really look at being a girl in a male dominated sport as I cannot be fast as the guys. I look at it as a challenge that keeps pushing me to that next level.
- 27.07.2015 : Team TLD Riders All Score Top-10 Finishes at Washougal | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Makes It Three Weekends In A Row With Career-Best Finish | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : Interview: Brandon Semenuk and Rupert Walker - Revel In The Chaos | Freeride MTB - Pinkbike Interview
- 24.07.2015 : TLD's Toby Price Could Wrap Up Fifth AORC Crown This Weekend | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 24.07.2015 : Sage Karam Earns First-Career Podium At Iowa 2015 | IndyCar - Newton, IA
- 23.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Backs Up Career Best Result With Seventh Overall | AMA Pro Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : TLD’s McElrath Breaks Into Top-10 With Impressive Moto 2 Ride | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : KTM Strong Man Kirk Gibbs Braves The Pain At Shepparton | Motocross - Victoria, Australia
- 10.07.2015 : TLD/KTM’s Toby Price Picked Up By Red Bull Factory Rally Team | World Motorcycle Rally Championships
- 07.07.2015 : New Troy Lee Designs Canadian Funny Car Schedules Debut | Funny Car - Edmonton AB, Canada