Cam Zink's Backflip Sets Guinness World Record
MTB Freeride - Mammoth Lakes, CA
Mountain biker Cam Zink set the bicycle backflip distance jump world record on Thursday, soaring over an 80-foot dirt-to-dirt gap jump at the base of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area in California and just past the 100-foot mark for his Mammoth Flip Presented by Monster Energy event for World of X Games.
Click here to watch Cam Zink's World Record setting Mammoth Flip
"Cam, welcome to the Guinness World Records family: You are officially amazing," said Guinness World Records representative Alex Angert, after verifying the backflip at 100 feet, 3 inches.
Zink, who previously set an unofficial backflip distance record at 78 feet for his step-down flip on the FMB World Tour course at Red Bull Rampage 2013, hit 48 mph on his 910-foot approach on Thursday to meet his triple-digit goal.
"I think it's just the beginning, as in I'll do -- maybe one day -- 150, 200, who knows?" Zink said, holding his certified record plaque. "That's going to be the best plaque I've ever had on my wall, that's for sure."
His flip was flawless, and his timing perfect; after strong winds earlier in the evening, he made his attempt with a slight 3 mph tailwind.
"It's like a dream, I mean, just popped off and I was like 'holy moly' I forgot how long I'd be in the air," he told ESPN's Alyssa Roenigk moments after the jump. "I still felt comfortable but I'm like, 'Man I'm just staring at the sky forever' ... it's a long flight."
Zink also set a new Guinness World Records-certified dirt-to-dirt bicycle straight air record at 120 feet (longer previous bicycle distance jumps used motorized tow-in assists) earlier Thursday, during warm-ups for the Mammoth Flip.
An encore presentation of the Mammoth Flip with Cam Zink Presented by Monster Energy will air during a one-hour "World Of X Games" highlight show airing Sunday at 2 p.m. ET on ABC.
- 19.11.2014 : Interview: Troy Lee | Company
- 11.11.2014 : Redmond and Graffunder Take on Ukupacha in Ecuador | Enduro - Ukupacha, Ecuador
- 10.11.2014 : USA Got Hold of Junior Trophy Victory in Argentina | Off-Road - San Juan, Argentina
- 06.11.2014 : Mitchell DeJong Clinches 2014 GRC Lites Championship | Global Rallycross Lites - Las Vegas, NV
- 05.11.2014 : Behind The Scenes with Kiwi Indycar Champ Scott Dixon | IndyCar - New Zealand
- 04.11.2014 : Lusty Industries Opens In New Zealand | Newcastle, NSW Australia
- 03.11.2014 : Runner-Up Finish for ESM Patrón at Shanghai | WEC - Shanghai, China
- 03.11.2014 : From Joyride to Rampage to unReal: Brandon Semenuk's Non-Stop Year | Freeride MTB
- 30.10.2014 : Interview: Darryn Durham on Supercross Africa | Supercross - Pretoria, South Africa
- 17.10.2014 : Vinny Nuzzolilli AMA Pro Hillclimb Unlimited Champion | Pro Hillclimb - Oregonia, OH