Dixon Finishes Fourth, Franchitti 13th at Baltimore Grand Prix
IndyCar - Baltimore, MD
Results (with starting pos.) from Baltimore Grand Prix
1. (10) Ryan Hunter-Reay No. 28 Chevrolet
2. (11) Ryan Briscoe No. 2 Chevrolet
3. (9) Simon Pagenaud No. 77 Honda
4. (2) Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Honda
13. (4) Dario Franchitti, No. 10 Lexar Honda
Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) drivers Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti finished fourth and 13th, respectively, in Sunday’s Baltimore Grand Pix. With one event remaining on the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series calendar, Dixon is still mathematically eligible for the 2012 Championship. He remains fourth (-53 points) behind leader Will Power. Franchitti stands-120 markers back in ninth position.
Team Target began Sunday’s Grand Prix of Baltimore in the second (Dixon) and fourth (Franchitti) starting positions, after both cars managed to get to the final segment of Firestone Fast Six qualifying. The green flag dropped and Dixon tried working his way to the polesitter, Power. He slipped back one spot but held onto third place until the first caution flag of the 75-lap race was displayed on lap 7.
Dixon pitted on lap 22 to change to rain tires and get fuel as course conditions drastically changed due to weather. He emerged 18th and moved up two positions until the course saw another yellow flag. After several restarts for accidents, Dixon continued to work his way up through the field with great fuel mileage and into the top-five, where he finished fourth.
Franchitti rolled off fourth and was quickly gaining ground until the No. 10 Lexar Honda spun to a stop on lap 21 after the car was clipped by the No.78 car, causing a full-course caution. On lap 39, the team was forced to make an unscheduled stop to repair the radio. Franchitti was gaining ground and was in contention for a top-five finish until the car saw contact again on lap 69 which dropped him back from sixth to 13th. The No.10 car ran out of fuel on the last lap and finished 13th.
Up next, Target Chip Ganassi Racing will compete in the MAVTV 500 in Fontana, California on Saturday, September 15 (8:30pm ET on NBC Sports Network).
-Dixon scored his six top-five finish this season.
“It was a tough day. We missed a little bit on picking the wets and the slicks and that kind of cross over. It seemed about three or four of the guys worked that out. I guess it’s luck really, whether it’s going to rain or not. Then we went off strategy big-time at the end there. We pitted really early and had to save a lot of fuel on black tires. It’s probably one of the hardest stints I’ve had all year, to try and get speed and try to save fuel. It was a crazy finish there.”
"Very disappointing race for us. We ran out of fuel at the end. INDYCAR officials need to take a look at what is and what isn't acceptable. This is becoming a full-contact sport.”
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams, Inc.
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include four in the IZOD IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. Overall his teams have 14 championships and 150 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and four Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.
For more information log onto chipganassiracing.com
- 28.01.2015 : Brandon Semenuk Slopestyle/Freeride Athlete of the Year | MTB - Pinkbike Awards
- 28.01.2015 : Christian Brothers Racing Wins Gold at Winter X Games 2015 | Snowmobile Hillcross - Aspen, CO
- 28.01.2015 : Tye Simmonds Scores 1st Place Finish at Deep Well MX | Off-Road - Alice Springs, Australia
- 26.01.2015 : Troy Lee Designs Rider Cole Seely Grabs Season Best Finish in Fifth | AMA Supercross - Oakland, CA
- 26.01.2015 : Chip Ganassi Racing Wins Record Sixth Rolex 24 At Daytona | Rolex 24 Hours - Daytona Beach, FL
- 24.01.2015 : Nelson Passes a Dozen Riders En Route to a Top 10 Finish | AMA Supercross - Oakland, CA
- 23.01.2015 : Scott Pruett Aims for Record Sixth Win at Rolex 24 Endurance Race | TUDOR - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.01.2015 : Lusty Industries Athletes Long and Simmonds Take On Deep Well MX | Motocross - Alice Springs, Australia
- 22.01.2015 : ESM’s 2015 Worldwide Season Starts at Home & the Rolex 24 | WEC & TUDOR - Riviera Beach, FL
- 22.01.2015 : Team TLD's Ascent to the Top of American Motocross | Troy Lee Designs - Company History