TLD's Canadian Rippers Top 2 in Garbo DH Women's Pro
MTB - Whistler, BC
Crankworx Whistler’s Garbanzo DH is infamous for being the world’s longest DH track used in competition. Canadian World Cup racer Steve Smith has been defeated by the very long and technical track the last four times he has raced it; either crashing or just not going fast enough.
This year Smith finally defeated his nemesis, crossing the finish line with a time of 12:33.27, an impressive feat considering the length of the course is 12km and drops 3,400 vertical feet. Second fastest man was Columbian Marcelo Gutierrez Villega +5.48 and in third, Australian Chris Kovarik +15.40.
Canadian women swept the podium today with Casey Brown in first at 14:28.74, Miranda Miller in second +3.23 and Whistler’s Claire Buchar (CAD) +3.26.
“This is the first time I have had a clean run in competition on Garbanzo and I took the win,” says Smith. “It is a long race so you don’t absolutely ‘kill’ anything. I just kept a good pace all the way; I wasn’t really slow and I wasn’t really fast.”
This kind of race really tests the World Cup racers since they train to reach the maximum speed they can sustain for the duration of 3-4 minutes. The Garbanzo track has them descending three times as long as that. The most successful riders have to find the fastest pace they can sustain for a long period of time and just hang on. At the end of the day, the conditions couldn’t have been more ideal for the race. The track was rolling really quick and the clock showed it with athletes coming in with the fastest times ever recorded in Garbanzo DH competition.
The same course as 2011 was used - Riders start behind the Garbanzo lift hut -> Original Sin (including the uphill section) -> exit Original Sin at the step down/step up tree island on the Dave Murray flats -> proceed down Blue Velvet -> traverse and proceed into In Deep -> after rock face turn left towards Container (FatCrobbat would require a right turn at this point) -> from Container into No Joke/ Duffman -> remain on Duffman until merges with Golden Triangle -> continue on World Cup Singletrack -> Ho Chi Min -> Longhorn -> Monkey Hands -> GLC drops to finish.
http://www.crankworx.com/whistler/results.php Current event photography:
- 29.07.2015 : TLD / KTM's Toby Price Takes 5th AORC Crown of His Career | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 27.07.2015 : Team TLD Riders All Score Top-10 Finishes at Washougal | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Makes It Three Weekends In A Row With Career-Best Finish | AMA Pro Motocross - Washougal, WA
- 27.07.2015 : Interview: Brandon Semenuk and Rupert Walker - Revel In The Chaos | Freeride MTB - Pinkbike Interview
- 24.07.2015 : TLD's Toby Price Could Wrap Up Fifth AORC Crown This Weekend | AORC - Kyogle, Australia
- 24.07.2015 : Sage Karam Earns First-Career Podium At Iowa 2015 | IndyCar - Newton, IA
- 23.07.2015 : TLD’s Noren Backs Up Career Best Result With Seventh Overall | AMA Pro Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : TLD’s McElrath Breaks Into Top-10 With Impressive Moto 2 Ride | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 20.07.2015 : KTM Strong Man Kirk Gibbs Braves The Pain At Shepparton | Motocross - Victoria, Australia
- 10.07.2015 : TLD/KTM’s Toby Price Picked Up By Red Bull Factory Rally Team | World Motorcycle Rally Championships