Casey Brown Fastest Woman in Jeep Canadian Open DH
MTB - Whistler, BC
The Jeep Canadian Open Downhill was a rowdy affair today with an exhausting and technical descent that included running the gauntlet at Heckler’s Rock. With a time of 2:44.80 Steve Smith (CAD) was untouchable once again at Crankworx Whistler, crushing his competition and finishing almost five seconds faster than second place racer Mick Hannah (AUS) +4.64. Andrew Neethling (RSA) finished third fastest with +5.61.
With this win Steve Smith takes the triple-crown; winning first place in every DH event at Crankworx Whistler. Today’s victory at the Jeep Canadian Open DH is particularly sweet as he earns $10,000; the largest prize purse awarded at any DH race in the world. It is apparent Smith is on another level of racing and he is going into the seventh and final round of the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup DH in Hafjell Norway as a favorite to win.
The women’s podium was a sweep for Canadians with the fastest woman Casey Brown (CAD) coming in way ahead with a time of 3:15.28. Next up was Claire Buchar (CAD) at +9.81 and Lauren Rosser (CAD) +10.44.
With these wins, Smith and Brown also earned enough points to take the overall King and Queen of Crankworx titles. Local Whistler boy Jack Illes was awarded the Prince of Crankworx title for his outstanding performance in the Boys (13-16) category.
Coverage of the Jeep Canadian Open DH was phenomenal and included seven wired cameras on the ground, two cable cams and one helicopter camera, ensuring those watching the live webcast at home had front row seats. Some of the most entertaining footage came from Heckler’s Rock where hundreds of shirtless men (and some women) started to gather around 9am.
The Jeep Canadian Open DH was the last event of Crankworx Whistler 2012. This year the festival enjoyed record-breaking crowds the entire ten days, as well as huge uptake on live webcast coverage powered by Red Bull Media House. Replays of the events live webcasted can be found at www.redbull.com/bike. Crankworx 2012 is a wrap, stay tuned for news about Crankworx 2013 dates for Les 2 Alpes in July and Whistler in August.
Current event photography:
Videos of the Day by Pinkbike and Vimeo:
- 17.04.2014 : Race Rewind: Cole Seely Interview at Seattle SX 2014 | Supercross - MotoXAddicts Interview
- 15.04.2014 : Patrick Long Finishes 5th at Long Beach 2014 | TUSCC - Long Beach, CA
- 15.04.2014 : Team Target Comes Up Just Short on the Streets of Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 15.04.2014 : Power and Montoya Both Finish In Top-5 at Long Beach | IndyCar - Long Beach, CA
- 14.04.2014 : Cole Seely Steals a Win in Seattle | Troy Lee Designs / Lucas Oil / Honda in Seattle
- 14.04.2014 : Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas Victorious at Long Beach | TUSCC - Long Beach, CA
- 14.04.2014 : Monday Conversation: Cole Seely After Seattle SX | Supercross - Racer X Interview
- 14.04.2014 : TLD Athletes Have Exceptional Weekend in Multiple Disciplines and Events | Company - Corona, CA
- 11.04.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Pre-Race Report: Long Beach Grand Prix 2014 | Auto Racing - Long Beach, CA
- 09.04.2014 : Strong Comeback for Valentin Teillet | Motocross - Gueugnon, France