Fairclough Trumps Competition at Crankworx Speed & Style
MTB - Whistler, BC
The invitational Dual Speed & Style presented by AVID was a huge success with the inaugural Whistler event filling Whistler Village, while thousands more tuned into the live webcast powered by Red Bull Media House.
Britain’s Brendan Fairclough, a rider widely recognized as one of the most well-rounded racers on the DH circuit, ended up in the final with Spain’s Andreu Lacondeguy, one of the world’s best-known freeriders. Lacondeguy, who actually has history battling the clock as a DH racer, gave Fairclough a run for his money but in the end pushed too hard and ended his race in a spectacular cloud of dust while the British World Cup racer sailed over the finish line to take gold.
In the battle for third place two freeriders were pit against each other; American Kyle Strait, who qualified first yesterday, and Sweden’s Martin Soderstrom. Soderstrom was pulling out Joyride-worthy tricks in every heat but in the small final was bucked on a roller and fell, giving Strait the bronze.
Pro freerider Cam McCaul, who lent his expertise as an announcer at the Dual Speed & Style, feels that going fast and having the ability to pull multiple variations of tricks is going to be the type of riding that will prevail in future rounds of Speed & Style.
“Andreu was going up against a World Cup racer so he had to push his speed limits beyond probably what was comfortable for him,” says McCaul. “That race was his to lose but Andreu actually had the speed to stay with Brendan, and the tricks to take the win, if he could have held on. You have to keep within 1.2 seconds in the ‘speed’ area to take the win with ‘style’.”
Dual Speed & Style is a new event on the freeride mountain bike scene. Riders race through a dual course head-to-head for time and earn .6 second deductions for the most stylish tricks pulled on the mid-course booters. Partly influenced by motocross and then brought to life by Kyle Strait’s glory run through the dual course in Whistler during Crankworx in 2011, the SRAM Dual Speed & Style in Les 2 Alpes on July 12, 2012 was the first Speed & Style event organized by Crankworx with Cam Zink taking the win. Judging by the crowds gathered today for the Dual Speed & Style presented by Avid, the event is an exciting addition to the world of freeride competition.
Stay tuned to www.crankworx.com for upcoming news and connect with Crankworx through Facebook.com/crankworx or Twitter.com/crankworx.
Online Results: http://www.crankworx.com/whistler/results.php
Current event photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crankworx/
Live Streaming Webcast Schedule for Crankworx Whistler 2012 The webcasts, powered by Red Bull Media House, are live streamed at www.crankworx.com, www.redbull.com/bike and by online media partner www.pinkbike.com.
Saturday August 11
-REPLAY – Canadian Open Enduro - http://live.redbull.tv/events/120/crankworx-whistler-canadian-open-enduro/
-REPLAY - Dual Speed & Style presented by AVID – http://live.redbull.tv/events/121/crankworx-whistler-dual-speed-style/
Sunday August 12
-Garbanzo DH - 4:30pm-7:00pm
Wednesday August 15
-Air DH - 3:30pm–5:30pm
Thursday August 16
-Teva Best Trick - 4:00pm-6:00pm
-Ultimate Pump Track Challenge presented by Rock Shox - 8:00pm-9:00pm
Friday August 17
-Red Bull Joyride Qualifiers - 1:30pm-3:00pm
-GIANT Dual Slalom Amateur - 3:30pm-5:30pm
-GIANT Dual Slalom Pro - 6:00pm-8:00pm
Saturday August 18
-Red Bull Joyride Finals - 5:30pm-7:30pm
Sunday August 19
-Jeep Canadian Open DH - 3:00pm-5:00pm
The ninth annual Crankworx Whistler is presented by Whistler Blackcomb and the Whistler Mountain Bike Park. Crankworx Whistler is the biggest annual event held in Whistler and is also the largest freeride mountain bike festival in the world. Crankworx Les 2 Alpes took place for the first time July 9-15, 2012 and was the first Crankworx event to take place outside of North America. This new event will build on Crankworx’s legendary legacy in the arena of freeride mountain biking.
- 30.03.2015 : Seely Keeps Up Momentum in St. Louis with Fourth Place | AMA Supercross - St. Louis, MO
- 30.03.2015 : Montoya Overpowering in 2015 IndyCar Season-Opening Win | IndyCar - St. Petersburg, FL
- 30.03.2015 : Lusty / TLD / KTM’s Kirk Gibbs Takes The Red Plate at MX Nationals Rd. 1 | MX Nationals - Horsham, Victoria, AUS
- 30.03.2015 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Race Team Competes in the East | AMA Supercross - Corona, CA
- 25.03.2015 : Post Claims 5th Straight Elite Women's U.S. National Champion Title | BMX - Rock Hill, SC
- 25.03.2015 : Christian Brothers Racing Wraps Up 2014-2015 Season At Lake Geneva Snocross | Snocross - Lake Geneva, WI
- 24.03.2015 : TLD’s Seely Makes It Back-To-Back Podium Finishes in Detroit | AMA Supercross - Detroit, MI
- 20.03.2015 : Top 5 for Vildosola Racing in the Polaris RZR Mint 400 | Mint 400 - Las Vegas, NV
- 18.03.2015 : Transworld Motocross Race Series Profile: Max Lee | Motocross - Riverside, CA
- 17.03.2015 : Lusty Industries KTM Team Riders Top 5 at Melbourne Enduro-X | Australian Enduro-X - Melbourne, Australia