Dixon Earns Fourth Victory at Mid-Ohio, Franchitti Finishes 17th
IndyCar - Lexington, OH
Results (with starting pos.) from Mid-Ohio
1. (4) Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Honda
2. (1) Will Power, No. 12 Chevrolet
3. (3) Simon Pagenaud, No. 77 Honda
17. (2) Dario Franchitti, No. 10 GE Honda
Team Target driver Scott Dixon earned his 29th career victory in the Honda Indy 200 from the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, while Target teammate Dario Franchitti finished 17th. This is the fourth consecutive win for Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) at Mid-Ohio.
Dixon qualified fourth and ran the opening stint of the 85-lap race in that position until making his first green-flag pit stop of the day on Lap 27. After pit stops cycled through, Dixon found himself in second, where he continued to tick off laps as fast as the leader. On Lap 57, the No. 9 Target Honda made its final scheduled pit stop of the day. A quick stop propelled Dixon past leader Will Power. Dixon took the lead upon the completion of green flag stops on Lap 59 and didn’t look back. He led the rest of the race en route to his second victory of the season and 29th overall, tying him for 10th on the all-time wins list with Rick Mears.
For the sixth consecutive race, Franchitti started on the front row, qualifying second. The No. 10 GE Honda got off to a good start, running the opening laps of the race in second. After making his first pit stop of the day on Lap 29, Franchitti returned to the 2.258-mile course in fourth. Running on a two-stop fuel strategy, Franchitti made his second pit stop on Lap 57 and again rejoined the field in fourth. On Lap 59, the No. 10 GE Honda made contact with another car and was forced to pit road for an unscheduled pit stop to replace the front wing. Franchitti exited the pits for the final time in 18th and eventually finished the day in 17th.
With the results, Dixon remains fourth in the IZOD IndyCar Series point standings, but gained 33 points on the leader. He now has 351 points, -28 points behind new leader, Power. Franchitti is still eighth in the standings with 271 points, -108 behind Power.
Honda remains second in the manufacturer point standings with 84 points, -12 markers behind Chevrolet. Lotus is third with 48 points.
Up next for Team Target is Round 13 of the IZOD IndyCar Series with the GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma from Sonoma, Aug. 26 at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.
- Franchitti earned his sixth consecutive front row start, qualifying second for the second race in a row.
- With the win, Dixon is now tied with Rick Mears for 10th on the all-time Indy car wins list with 29.
- With his victory at Mid-Ohio, Dixon is now the winningest driver at the course with four victories (2007, 2009, 2011, 2012).
- Every race in which Dixon has led a lap at Mid-Ohio, he has gone on to win.
- This is Dixon’s ninth win on a road course and the 21st road course win for Team Target.
- Dixon has led at least one lap in eight races this season, tying him with Power for the most races led this season.
- Dixon gives TCGR its eighth victory at Mid-Ohio (1996, 1997: Alex Zanardi; 1999: Juan Pablo Montoya; 2010: Franchitti; 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012: Dixon).
- This win marks TCGR’s 89th win and CGRT’s 149th win overall.
- This win is also the 98th win for the Target Race Program.
- TCGR drivers have made 35 starts at Mid-Ohio in 19 races, earning eight victories, two poles, 12 podiums and 21 top-fives.
- This is the second consecutive race this season run caution-free.
“Huge credit to the team, that pit stop was fantastic. That got me in front. What a fantastic day, that puts us back in the hunt. I think it definitely helped we had an open pit and Will had to come around us. I think if you look at the replay I hit the marks before he even did, and that's just how it goes now and then. Everyone thought we would be pitting at the exact same time and same place on the track so I got a good in. The guys on the Target crew did a fantastic time plugging in the fuel and getting the tires changed, so a big credit to them. It’s just one of those perfect moments. We got the jump on him out of the pits and the rest was ours.”
“It was a tough day for the GE car. Obviously, it’s great that Scott won in the Target car, but I just made a mistake. I drove into the back of Hinchcliffe. I just misjudged how long the nose of the car was. It was totally my mistake. We had to come in and change it. So that was really our day.”
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams, Inc.
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include four in the IZOD IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. Overall his teams have 14 championships and 149 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and four Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.
For more information log onto chipganassiracing.com
- 22.07.2014 : Women's Mountain Biking in Mammoth with Leigh Donovan | MTB - Mammoth Lakes, CA
- 22.07.2014 : Colton Facciotti at the Top of the Box at Sand Del Lee | Motocross - Richmond, ON, Canada
- 22.07.2014 : Fredrik Noren at Spring Creek MX 2014 | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 22.07.2014 : Toby Price On Top at Kyogle | Off-Road - Kyogle, Australia
- 21.07.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Dives Into Spring Creek Motocross | AMA Motocross - Millville, MN
- 18.07.2014 : Vaea Verbeek Wins Canadian MTB Downhill Women's Championship | Mountain Bike - Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
- 17.07.2014 : Cam Zink to Attempt World-Record Back Flip at Mammoth Mountain | MTB - Mammoth Lakes, CA
- 17.07.2014 : MXP Chatter: Nathan Bles On Gopher Dunes 2014 | Motocross - Courtland, Canada
- 17.07.2014 : TLD / MavTV / Honda's Malcolm Stewart Out For Spring Creek | AMA Motocross - Corona, CA
- 16.07.2014 : Honda Canada GDR Takes Victory at Hometown Race | Motocross - Courtland, Ontario