Dixon Finishes Fourth, Franchitti 25th in Iowa
IndyCar - Newton, IA
Results (with starting pos.) from Iowa
2. (3) Marco Andretti, No. 26 Chevrolet
3. (19) Tony Kanaan, No. 11 Chevrolet
4. (8) Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Honda
25. (1) Dario Franchitti, No. 10 Target Honda
Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) driver Scott Dixon finished fourth in the Iowa Corn Indy 250 from Iowa Speedway, while teammate Dario Franchitti finished 25th.
With an eighth-place finish in Friday’s qualifying heat race, Dixon started Saturday night’s 250-lap race in eighth. At the start of the race, Dixon settled into the top-10 running order, remaining there for the opening 68 laps. The No. 9 Target Honda hit pit road for the first time under caution on lap 70, returning to the track in sixth. On lap 100, Dixon made his second pit stop under caution, putting him on a different fuel-strategy than the majority of the field. He continued to work his way toward the front, eventually taking the lead on lap 157 as green-flag pit stops cycled through. He would lead most of the second-half of the race, but slid back in the closing laps to finish fourth.
Franchitti lined up first on the grid for the second straight week after winning his qualifying heat race. While running under the pace laps, Franchitti radioed to his Target crew that the engine sounded off. Shortly after that radio transmission, the No. 10 Target Honda suffered a mechanical failure, forcing Franchitti to retire from the race before taking the green flag.
With the results, Dixon remains third in the IZOD IndyCar Series point standings with 271 points, -15 points behind leader Will Power. Franchitti is now eighth in the standings with 216 points, -70 behind Power.
Honda remains second in the manufacturer point standings with 62 points, -10 markers behind Chevrolet. Lotus is third with 36 points.
Up next for Team Target is Round 10 of the IZOD IndyCar Series with the Honda Indy Toronto from the Streets of Toronto on Sunday, July 8 at 1:00 PM ET on ABC.
- With his fourth-place finish, Dixon earned TCGR’s seventh top-five in six visits to Iowa Speedway.
- Dixon has led at least one lap in seven of the nine races this season.
- Dixon led two times for 76 laps
- Dixon earned his fifth top-five finish of the season and the 95th of his career.
“We definitely threw a lot at the car this weekend. Eric (Bretzman) did a great job of finding something that was comfortable to drive. It was a bit of a long night. I think we did the best that we could with strategies and the car that we had, we just needed the race to be a little bit shorter.”
"It was making a very strange noise. I’d actually just come on the radio to say 'is this thing making an odd noise?' And then it let go. We're disappointed. I believe this was our Indy 500 winning engine. It’s a real shame that it let go, but it’s just one of those things. We’ll move on."
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams, Inc.
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include four in the IZOD IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. Overall his teams have 14 championships and 148 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and four Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.
- 20.05.2013 : Alise Post Repeats Her USAC Title | BMX - Chula Vista, CA
- 20.05.2013 : Graffunder Puts Husqvarna In Top Five at Barcelona X Games | Endurocross - Barcelona, Spain
- 20.05.2013 : Troy Lee Designs Kicks Off Summer at Hangtown MX | AMA Motocross - Sacramento, CA
- 17.05.2013 : 'Little' Brother Goes Big | VurbMoto Interview
- 16.05.2013 : Ricky and Luke Johnson Both Victorious at Eldora Speedway | TORC - Rossburg, OH
- 16.05.2013 : Catching Up With: Blake Savage | DMX Interview
- 15.05.2013 : Matt Simmonds Takes 3rd at Round 2 of the BDS Fort William | MTB - Fort William, Scotland
- 15.05.2013 : Kahne Battles for Darlington Win and Finishes Race in 17th | NASCAR - Darlington, SC
- 15.05.2013 : Troy Lee Designs Welcomes Malcolm Stewart to the Team | AMA Motocross
- 14.05.2013 : Extreme Speed Motorsports Finishes Third and Fourth at Laguna Seca | ALMS - Monterey, CA