Product Review: TLD BP7605 Protective Shorts
Reviewed by Shane Jenkins/bmxultra.com August 19, 2011
A while ago Troy Lee Designs announced a collaboration with Shock Doctor and the introduction of whole new range of protective gear. I'm not talking about new elbow and knee/shin guards, however they are in the range. I'm talking about everything from Leatt Neck Braces, to chest protection, to wrist protection, to protective shorts and pants.
In thirty years of BMX racing I have taken some heavy falls. The problem is they seem to get heavier as I get older, and I just don't seem to bounce back as quickly as I used to. Some of the injuries have stayed with me for months, or even years, to constantly remind me of the inherent risk of BMX. As the sport progresses, the risk factor increases along with it. Some of my worst injuries have been avoidable, most of them are around my thigh, waist and hip area. Nothing major like a break, just very heavy impact, deep bruising, that sort of thing.
For years I have played inline hockey. It's something I do when I'm not racing my bike. It's a sport where you are padded up top to toe. I have some padded shorts which have saved me from big injuries a number of times, and often I wondered how they could be used for BMX. The problem with them is that they are fine for inline hockey, but very loose fitting and just wouldn't work under race pants.
I had hunted around for some time for some cycling specific protective shorts but hadn't found anything I liked that would provide protection and not become a hindrance. But then the TLD Protective Shorts were announced and my hunt was over.
When I was finally able to get my hands on the shorts, it worked out that I had the BP 7605; the top of the range protective short the Troy Lee Designs offer. The shorts are constructed from Lycra which makes them very comfortable. Normally, Lycra under race pants would mean that you would be spending all your time pulling your pants up, but I haven't had that problem at all.
What I like most about the shorts is that they provide massive amounts of protection. They have harder padding on the hip, outer thigh (which is actually removable) and tail bone area and softer padding on the inner thigh and crotch areas. Despite the large amounts of padding they are still very close fitting to the body, so much so no one would even know you were wearing them. They feel more like wearing a compression short than a padded short. Right from the get-go they are very comfortable on, light weight, and provide plenty of airflow and a full range of movement.
After a number of gates and casual track riding sessions, I can happily say that these would have to have been my best investment this year. Each time I hit a track from now on, I will do it with my BP7605's! I love riding and am sick of avoidable injuries keeping me off my bike for extended periods. Now I'm prepared for my next big crash. Are you?
-Shock Doctor technology.
-X-FIT™ integrates a wraparound external supporter for unparalleled comfort and fit.
-Lightweight 4-way stretch material breathes for maximum ventilation in hot weather Outer thigh pads offer low profile protection.
-Inner thigh pads enhance seat comfort and protection from chafing.
-Integrated crotch chamois pad sized specifically for motorcycle seats.
-PATENTS: D548, 928 (USA), 115952 (CAN) & 6,161, 222. Additional patents pending.
The PB7605 are available in the following sizes:
Youth: M, L
Adult: XS, S, M, L, XL
A note to our Aussie readers:
Remember to buy local and support the Australian BMX industry. We do! Thanks to the Australian distributor, Steve Cramer Products, the price of Troy Lee Designs products is very competitive. Support those who support you.
Value for money:
-Affordable and practical, these shorts are likely to out last your race pants and provide a whole lot more protection.
-So light you won't even know you are wearing them.
-Extremely comfortable, protective and provide a full range of moment.
-Like all TLD products, they are designed to look great and function just as well.
-There's not a loose thread on them; they are built to last.
For original version, click here.
- 29.06.2015 : TLD / Lucas Oil / Red Bull / KTM Riders Endure Weather As Season Hits Halfway Point | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 29.06.2015 : TLD’s Noren Bounces Back For Solid Moto 2 Finish at Budds Creek | AMA Pro Motocross - Mechanicsville, MD
- 26.06.2015 : Scott Dixon Looks to Complete Career California Track Sweep | IndyCar - Fontana, CA
- 23.06.2015 : Ward Wins Pole and Takes 4th in Red Bull GRC Debut at Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 23.06.2015 : Block Takes 2nd at Rd 3 of 2015 Red Bull GRC Season in Daytona | Rallycross - Daytona Beach, FL
- 18.06.2015 : Podium Finish for Dempsey and Long at Le Mans | Auto Racing - Le Mans, France
- 15.06.2015 : TLD's Seely and Noren Earn Top-10 Finishes in Pennsylvania | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : Top-10 Results for TLD’s Nelson and McElrath at High Point National | AMA Pro Motocross - Mt. Morris, PA
- 15.06.2015 : TLD Bike Athletes Go Big at Rd 3 of MTB World Cup DH Series | DH MTB - Leogang, Austria
- 11.06.2015 : Price Sweeps to Fourth Finke Desert Race Win | Off-Road - Northern Territory, Australia